Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California: Free 91/110/10 Express Lane Access

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I'm new to S. California. Just moved here from New York City, and since I didn't own a car there I bought a used Tesla when I arrived. I've been trying to find out how the toll & HOV roads work and I'm quite confused. I found this post and it seems to be the most helpful, but I noticed that the information is several years old and so want to check and see if it is still accurate.

It sounds like the best option is to get the 91 transponder and set it to 3, but I'm wondering if the new laws noted above are/have changed that.

The car I bought has white 'access ok' stickers on the rear bumper (all three sides) and I was given the impression that gave me the ability to use all HOV/Express lanes throughout the state, but after doing some research I guess I'm several years behind. So now I know I need to get a transponder. In the meantime I'll be keeping an eye out for the various violations notices I should be receiving for using those lanes periodically over the last month. If anyone knows of a way to have those expunged (provided I get them... plates are still temporary tags) I'd appreciate the tips.

Also... do the stickers serve any function any more? If not, I'd like to remove them since they're rather ugly.

Thanks in advance for any help

Hi all, I'm new to S. California. Just moved here from New York City, and since I didn't own a car there I bought a used Tesla when I arrived. I've been trying to find out how the toll & HOV roads work and I'm quite confused. I found this post and it seems to be the most helpful, but I noticed that the information is several years old and so want to check and see if it is still accurate.

It sounds like the best option is to get the 91 transponder and set it to 3, but I'm wondering if the new laws noted above are/have changed that.

The car I bought has white 'access ok' stickers on the rear bumper (all three sides) and I was given the impression that gave me the ability to use all HOV/Express lanes throughout the state, but after doing some research I guess I'm several years behind. So now I know I need to get a transponder. In the meantime I'll be keeping an eye out for the various violations notices I should be receiving for using those lanes periodically over the last month. If anyone knows of a way to have those expunged (provided I get them... plates are still temporary tags) I'd appreciate the tips.

Also... do the stickers serve any function any more? If not, I'd like to remove them since they're rather ugly.

Electric vehicles with or without the stickers can no longer travel on the toll roads for free. You must select the corresponding number of people in the car on the transponder now.

You do get a 15% discount for having eligible stickers. But it’s not free.

• Disagree
Reactions: mtndrew1 and Buddy

The white HOV stickers are expired and of no use to you. But good luck getting them off without it looking worse than leaving them on.

As for toll lane benefits, you can't get any benefits on the 10/110, but you can get the 91 for free by signing up for a special account for zero emission vehicles through the 91 Expresslanes. You can search Google for more info about it.

As per your racked up tolls, you should be able to make a 1-time payment online for each toll agency (10/110 is one, 91 is another, the other OC toll lanes are another). I haven't done this, so I haven't looked into the process for each one, but I assume it should be straightforward.

I went to Costco to buy the transponder, but was told that they don't do those anymore. Instead, there is a very small (mostly) clear sticker that goes on the bottom, inside windshield. It's ~$50 at Costco and loads a $50 credit on the account (comes with 2 stickers).

I had some questions when I was setting up the account and so called the FastTracks phone number. This is the info that was given to me:

1. The stickers don't work very well on a Tesla due to the windshield, so they are sending me a special sticker that goes on the headlight of the car.
2. In order to get discounts on the HOV lanes, they are shipping me an adjustable transponder. (Not sure if this was also available at Costco and the sales rep just gave me the wrong info). Again, however, due to the windshield issue there are problems with the scanners picking up the transponder. So I was advised to put it directly behind the rear view mirror and that should work.
3. I need to send a copy of my registration to ____ so that I can get discounts and/or free HOV lane use.
3a. Every agency is different and so sometimes you'll get free tolls, sometimes they'll be reduced and sometimes nothing.
4. On some roads (sounds like most of them) it is a violation to drive in the HOV OR Express lanes without a sticker or transponder. Regardless of whether it is an EV or not. (so it sounds like once they link my temporary plates to me, I'm screwed)

• Informative
Reactions: CASE01
I went to Costco to buy the transponder, but was told that they don't do those anymore. Instead, there is a very small (mostly) clear sticker that goes on the bottom, inside windshield. It's ~$50 at Costco and loads a $50 credit on the account (comes with 2 stickers).

I had some questions when I was setting up the account and so called the FastTracks phone number. This is the info that was given to me:

1. The stickers don't work very well on a Tesla due to the windshield, so they are sending me a special sticker that goes on the headlight of the car.
2. In order to get discounts on the HOV lanes, they are shipping me an adjustable transponder. (Not sure if this was also available at Costco and the sales rep just gave me the wrong info). Again, however, due to the windshield issue there are problems with the scanners picking up the transponder. So I was advised to put it directly behind the rear view mirror and that should work.
3. I need to send a copy of my registration to ____ so that I can get discounts and/or free HOV lane use.
3a. Every agency is different and so sometimes you'll get free tolls, sometimes they'll be reduced and sometimes nothing.
4. On some roads (sounds like most of them) it is a violation to drive in the HOV OR Express lanes without a sticker or transponder. Regardless of whether it is an EV or not. (so it sounds like once they link my temporary plates to me, I'm screwed)

Good information! I too will be signing up for this sometime soon. I'm awaiting my registration and DMV plates in the mail before I do.

In the meantime I'll be keeping an eye out for the various violations notices I should be receiving for using those lanes periodically over the last month.

Not sure how long since your violations, but I would be proactive and call them to pay them off before receiving the notices in mail. If you wait for the notices, here is what will happen. The first violation, you only have to pay the toll fee. But if you stack up 2 or 3 or 4.... each of those after the 1st, you will have to pay a penalty fee.. and it is really really expensive.

I've had both types of the Fastrak Flex switchable transponder (the old square one and the newer "candy bar" version) and they both work fine anywhere in my Model 3. I had the old one mounted under the glass roof, and I now keep the new one in the middle console since I don't use it often anymore. Once I even forgot to take it out before driving through a toll plaza and it still worked. That said, if you want to permanently mount it, the place behind the rear view mirror on the passenger side is probably best since it's out of the way.

I've had both types of the Fastrak Flex switchable transponder (the old square one and the newer "candy bar" version) and they both work fine anywhere in my Model 3. I had the old one mounted under the glass roof, and I now keep the new one in the middle console since I don't use it often anymore. Once I even forgot to take it out before driving through a toll plaza and it still worked. That said, if you want to permanently mount it, the place behind the rear view mirror on the passenger side is probably best since it's out of the way.

I just place the transponder on the passenger side of the dash on both our model 3 and model x and both works fine too. I had been reading about Tesla windshield does not work well with transponder and so far I have not experienced that.

• Informative
Reactions: Fossil Fool

Unfortunately, as you found out, those white stickers do absolutely zero for you anymore. Only red or purple at this point. As far as I know, there is zero difference in you having that tesla with expired EV lane stickers, and someone driving an ICE car. You might be able to get a discount on some roads.

The confusing thing is, various "toll roads" are owned by different entities. I just drove on the 241 when I had to go from San Diego to costa mesa (to get to the service center there), and it was 8.65 each way as I dont have a transponder, but do have purple stickers. Still worth it for the occasional trip but its confusing for sure.

I did not want to give 40-50 dollars into an account for them to hold for the 2-3 times a year I need to go on the 91 / 241 / toll roads.

Also, @Scott77 , great job attempting to find a relevant thread (I mean that, I am not joking or teasing or anything). I also live in your stated neighborhood (welcome to Temecula!), its a nice place to live. I drive south for work though, not north, so dont have to deal with the 91 very often at all.

Not sure how long since your violations, but I would be proactive and call them to pay them off before receiving the notices in mail. If you wait for the notices, here is what will happen. The first violation, you only have to pay the toll fee. But if you stack up 2 or 3 or 4.... each of those after the 1st, you will have to pay a penalty fee.. and it is really really expensive.

I've tried to proactively chase down any violations. The main one I'm worried about is the 91. I think I was on that 2-3 times over the past couple of months. When I log onto their site I'm required to provide a violation number along with my license plate number. So unless there is a work around I might be stuck waiting until I get the violations in the mail. Perhaps I'll try calling them tomorrow.

I've also taken the HOV lanes south on I-15 a couple times on my way to the airport. I didn't see the same signs that I saw on the 91 (transponder required), so not sure if I'll have any issues. I always had 3 people or more in the car, but no transponders or anything similar.

Also noticed I forgot to go back and put the email address in the above post. [email protected] That is where I had to email my Tesla registration to in order to be verified for applicable discounts.

@jjrandorin Thanks for the welcome. I'm loving the Temecula area so far!

Reactions: jjrandorin
I've tried to proactively chase down any violations. The main one I'm worried about is the 91. I think I was on that 2-3 times over the past couple of months. When I log onto their site I'm required to provide a violation number along with my license plate number. So unless there is a work around I might be stuck waiting until I get the violations in the mail. Perhaps I'll try calling them tomorrow.

I've also taken the HOV lanes south on I-15 a couple times on my way to the airport. I didn't see the same signs that I saw on the 91 (transponder required), so not sure if I'll have any issues. I always had 3 people or more in the car, but no transponders or anything similar.

Also noticed I forgot to go back and put the email address in the above post. [email protected] That is where I had to email my Tesla registration to in order to be verified for applicable discounts.

@jjrandorin Thanks for the welcome. I'm loving the Temecula area so far!

If you drive a lot on the 91 express lane, you should get the special access fastrak account from 91 express lane agency. You can see the detail from the first post of this thread. You get to drive free on 91 anytime except 4pm to 6pm on weekdays.

• Informative
Reactions: mtndrew1
91 has their own goofy rules, and they seem to change all the time. Hard to keep up, if you seldom use it. I need to set my transponder to "3" and swerve into the 3 people lane to get maximum discounts.

For most of us, the stickers provide minimal economic benefit. The cost of the stickers usually offsets most of the discounts.

The biggest benefit of the stickers is allowing single drivers to legally access the various carpool lanes without any passengers. Fantastic for commuters going to work, or travelers getting caught in the often horrible traffic congestion of LA/SF. For those times the stickers show their true value.

i know this is a really old post, but i found it while looking for info on the new 15 express lanes that are going to open soon in riverside county and wanted to comment on two things (in case anyone else finds this post the same way i did)...

91 has their own goofy rules, and they seem to change all the time. Hard to keep up, if you seldom use it. I need to set my transponder to "3" and swerve into the 3 people lane to get maximum discounts.

this isn't accurate for the 91 specifically. at all.

if you have a zero emission vehicle (which obviously of course all teslas are), you can sign up for a special access account which allows you to drive the 91 express lanes for free at all times except eastbound M-F 4pm-6pm. no "goofy rules," no worrying about what number the transponder is set at, no swerving into the 3+ lane...just sign up for special access, mount transponder, drive.

The confusing thing is, various "toll roads" are owned by different entities. I just drove on the 241 when I had to go from San Diego to costa mesa (to get to the service center there), and it was 8.65 each way as I dont have a transponder, but do have purple stickers. Still worth it for the occasional trip but its confusing for sure.

I did not want to give 40-50 dollars into an account for them to hold for the 2-3 times a year I need to go on the 91 / 241 / toll roads.

the $40 - $50 deposit (i don't think it's that much though) is valid on all toll roads in CA, not just the OC toll roads. you can use it when you go south to SD as well on the 15 or the south bay expressway (or any other toll roads there are down there, if any). not only that, but having a fastrak account gets you a discount on the OC toll roads (usually looks to be about 10%). this seems to apply via any agency, as my transponder is from the 91 but i still get the fastrak discount when i use the other toll roads.

if you're in so cal, have a tesla, and are going to get a transponder from somewhere, the 91 is your best bet for the exact reason i mentioned above: it will get you the 91 completely free most of the time, and you can still use it on any other toll road. based on the info i found on the 15 express lanes project, it seems it will also qualify you for the zero emission discount on those lanes as well.

• Informative
Reactions: Need and jjrandorin