Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California Front License Plate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Those classic blue ones are my favorite. Really hoping they'll offer that again soon.

So the vinyl/decal ones have reflective properties too just like real plates? From all the photos I've seen they don't look it.

I’ve only seen white current plates,
and yes they are as reflective as a
real plate, as I’m told by local LEOs
this was major hurdle that in past
had denied previous attempts?

well, that and state greed of wanting
to charge for license & registration,
but not actually manufacture the plate
ala european systems, go have someone
else make (and pat them too) your plate!

or let you buy an electronic plate and pay
monthly to not ever encounter DMV to renew!

I was up for a plate wrap but the company said that they can't do it for me. I have California yellow on blue plates, the seventh car for them. It may be because they are not retro-reflective.
I don’t understand. They offer the blue plates with the yellow lettering. They have pics of it in the gallery on their site.

21D48675-7367-4F50-BBA7-0E920668A57C.png

maybe this company will do it?
they do say send in pic to get exact copy...

Custom License Plates - Adhesive license plate replica
This is the company’s legal disclaimer, which doesn’t inspire a lot of confidence. . .

“There is no such law that determines that non-standard vinyl licence plate replica are illegal. Therefore, you should not be in any legal trouble for using a non-standard vinyl licence plate replica.”

Reactions: BluestarE3 and elf9
And they provide an official letter certifying that this decal is a valid license plate, which you can present to a LEO in case you get challenged.
I will add that the DMV clearly also knows when you're using the authorized decal plate. I actually received a replacement letter directly from the DMV because the legal authority expired at the end of 2019 but then was renewed. According to the new letter, it replaces the original letter which became invalid.

Now, whether you will get cited for a decal without the letter on hand likely depends entirely on the officer who is considering citing you.

I will add that the DMV clearly also knows when you're using the authorized decal plate. I actually received a replacement letter directly from the DMV because the legal authority expired at the end of 2019 but then was renewed. According to the new letter, it replaces the original letter which became invalid.

Now, whether you will get cited for a decal without the letter on hand likely depends entirely on the officer who is considering citing you.
Yep, I got the same renewal letter as well.

Fred

I'm in CA and leave the front plate off. They wont pull you over for it. They will add it on if they pull you over for something else though. They will also ticket you if you are at a meter. Its only $25 so I just pay them when I get them. In the last decade I've maybe gotten 3 of them.
yep, this. never ran a front plate in the 15 years i lived in CA. i got hassled about it once when i got stopped

while I too got the end of test period,
beginning of permanent license wrap letter,
clearly there will be other company approvals.

the goal is to not get written for no plate!
current moto vehicle regs include allowance
for license wrap in lieu of plates, so unless the
meter maid or officer asks for the letter, all's equal!

I don't get the purpose of these vinyl sticker. You might as well have a license plate
Tough to steal, easy to clean and keep looking new, doesn't stick out from the bumper, doesn't catch on your drying towel when washing, doesn't catch on your leg when you try to slide by the nose when parked in the garage, it is only one process to clean or wax the entire front bumper, looks way better, doesn't change the aero properties of the nose, doesn't rattle, doesn't rust, doesn't fall off, doesn't hold water when you're all done drying. And... it IS a license "plate."

Other than that, I can't think of much.

How fun is this to clean up when there's sharp and angled edges and screws and frames all over? This way, the cleanup is the same as if there were no plate at all. In a word**... it encourages me to be legal without all the other BS of having of a front plate. Best way to get folks to run a front plate is to make it more palatable like this.

** OK, several words.

190412.006.JPG

I will admit that I thought it was a silly idea until I read your post. I may get one now.

Thank you!
You are welcome! That was nice of you to come back and say. You are clearly a class act, and understand the proper color for a Model 3.

Cheers.

(I almost drove to Brea a month ago. And would have except it was right when all business travel was being shut down).

Reactions: Kevy Baby
On the licenseplatewrap website, under the FAQs:

Q10: Is License Plate Wrap (LPW) street legal?

A: Yes, as long you participate in the pilot program and received a letter from the DMV of Sacramento.

How long does it typically take to receive the letter from DMV ? Is the wait similar to the CAV decal wait ? I realize the wait may be extended because of the coronavirus.

How long does it typically take to receive the letter from DMV ? Is the wait similar to the CAV decal wait ? I realize the wait may be extended because of the coronavirus.

It has been a while now, so I don't recall all the details. EXCEPT that my DMV letter arrived before my actual plate. The plate took a couple of weeks, the letter took a few days.

Reactions: focher