Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California front plates...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do any of those automated front plate holders work on our cars?

I removed my front plate and don't really mind getting pulled over for it. I just don't want a ticket. Occasionally, I prefer to not be pulled over or give police any reason to pull me over, so an automated plate mount would be ideal.

in CA - took delivery of a 2013 CPO 2 years ago with no front plates. Looking into installing front plate bracket - checked with Tesla and they want to charge $80. Is that reasonable?
It will be free if you do it yourself. It should have come with the bracket. It is simple double sided tape. Just clean the bumper very well, center it, and your done.

It will be free if you do it yourself. It should have come with the bracket. It is simple double sided tape. Just clean the bumper very well, center it, and your done.

I don't think a 2013 Model S with the nose cone comes with bracket of double sided tape. I think the official mount was drilled into the nose cone, that's probably why they are charging $80. I would go with a 3rd party option that doesn't require drilling.

Although I thought by law, they have to mount the front plate for you in California. What I don't know is that if they are required to do it for free.

I recently installed one of these on my pre facelift Model S:

The Law - Tesla Model S Front License Plate Bracket-Aluminum (Auto Pilot Compatible) X7283

Works great, no drilling, easy install.

There's more to the story, but basically I'm not taking any more chances after getting by for 5 years before my first ticket for this. I have to drive by patrol cars in the toll roads every day and this is now just part of the deal. Oh well, typical first world problem, right?

I don't think a 2013 Model S with the nose cone comes with bracket of double sided tape. I think the official mount was drilled into the nose cone, that's probably why they are charging $80. I would go with a 3rd party option that doesn't require drilling.

Although I thought by law, they have to mount the front plate for you in California. What I don't know is that if they are required to do it for free.
Our Model 3 came with the bracket with premounted double-sided tape. I didn't realize that it had the tape on it, and I too called to have them install it. When they quoted me $80, I looked again and saw the tape.

People in the Bay Area are doing 80+ on 101/880. Plates? Who cares. Just drive and don’t be a dick. Seems to work during Covid.
I’m humbled now in my P85+ knowing a model 3 and Model Y debaged can can kick my car’s ass.

Then I open the sunroof and enjoy my FM/AM/XM Gen 1 MCU options. RWD is fun with TC turned off