Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California front plates...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This last weekend I drove my MS up to LA (from San Diego) and back and stopped at 3 different superchargers during that round trip. Each time I did I noticed that probably 80% of the Teslas at these superchargers didn't have front license plates (and they were California cars). Mine stuck out like a sore thumb with its ugly front plate.

I always thought this was required?? Is this something we're allowed to skip in order to show off the majestic beauty of these cars? lol

Reactions: APotatoGod
I tried to get my Model S delivered in Costa Mesa without a front plate today, but I was told as of 2019 they no longer can allow cars to roll off without a front plate attached so they drilled into my front bumper. Every single car inside the delivery center had a front plate attached to it.

I tried to get my Model S delivered in Costa Mesa without a front plate today, but I was told as of 2019 they no longer can allow cars to roll off without a front plate attached so they drilled into my front bumper. Every single car inside the delivery center had a front plate attached to it.

They drilled it? So if you take it off you'll be left with visible holes?

I think I read about it last year. Also you got a temp license number too right? I think that's new this year also.

2EC99692-0B88-4CDC-B5B3-7962CBB9AEC8.jpeg
I think I read about it last year. Also you got a temp license number too right? I think that's new this year also.

Yea, temporary plates put on as well. Started January 2019.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
Enforcement in DC and surrounding areas is a bit lax (though I managed to get two tickets) because there are so many out of state license plates it is common to see cars from rear-only-plate states running around. Nevertheless, I bought a StoNSho removable front license plate holder. It has two advantages. When it is installed, it rides low in front of the scoop, leaving most of the M3 front end visible. Others seem to put it right in the middle of the front. The second reason is that it has an easy quick release mechanism so unless you are in an area (here it is street parking) where you can get nabbed, you just take it off. Quick and easy. One downside is that installation is not as easy as some other front brackets offer. Here’s a link https://www.amazon.com/2017-2018-STO-N-SHO-Removable-License-Bracket/dp/B07B8WZPP4/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_5_sspa

Should have just talke the plate on for the mean time. Drilling must have hurt

• Funny
Reactions: Plug Life
The days of no front plates in California are officially over (for that matter, there are plenty of people out there (some whom I know) that have no plates on at all, leaving the paper dealer plates on indefinitely). From what I have heard, this is an effort to crack down on crime. Front plates increase vehicle identification from surveillance cameras. As most criminals drive cars with no plates, this gives more opportunities to pull someone over.

The fine is typically about $10, but that's IF you fix it and have an officer sign off.. It increases just a small bit to $20 or so if you don't. Depends on the city. While the fine may be small, you WILL get pulled over, and who wants that? This is no longer just a parking enforcement matter. My understanding is that strong enforcement of this began starting April 1. In my city, they have been pulling everyone over starting early March. The other day, they had a legion of cops pulling over every single mom and dad in my kids carpool lane at school drop off. Dealers and now mandated to provide front plates at the time of deliver, and temporary paper plates, bar coded to the vehicle.

My recommendation: get a cool personalized plate and show it off. If you have a black car, get a plate plate. Those look really cool on a black car.

The days of no front plates in California are officially over (for that matter, there are plenty of people out there (some whom I know) that have no plates on at all, leaving the paper dealer plates on indefinitely). From what I have heard, this is an effort to crack down on crime. Front plates increase vehicle identification from surveillance cameras. As most criminals drive cars with no plates, this gives more opportunities to pull someone over.

The fine is typically about $10, but that's IF you fix it and have an officer sign off.. It increases just a small bit to $20 or so if you don't. Depends on the city. While the fine may be small, you WILL get pulled over, and who wants that? This is no longer just a parking enforcement matter. My understanding is that strong enforcement of this began starting April 1. In my city, they have been pulling everyone over starting early March. The other day, they had a legion of cops pulling over every single mom and dad in my kids carpool lane at school drop off. Dealers and now mandated to provide front plates at the time of deliver, and temporary paper plates, bar coded to the vehicle.

My recommendation: get a cool personalized plate and show it off. If you have a black car, get a plate plate. Those look really cool on a black car.
The crime of using toll lanes or toll bridges without paying.
This hasn’t been an issue in the central California where there are no tolls
I have passed many CHP and local PD vehicles without a front plate and haven’t had any issues.

Dealers were always mandated to provide front plate brackets, many cars at the dealerships actually have it installed with the dealers paper plate.

The only real change was that now you get an identifying temporary plate when you buy a new car rather than a little registration on the windshield and a dealer “advertisement”

The crime of using toll lanes or toll bridges without paying.
This hasn’t been an issue in the central California where there are no tolls
I have passed many CHP and local PD vehicles without a front plate and haven’t had any issues.

Dealers were always mandated to provide front plate brackets, many cars at the dealerships actually have it installed with the dealers paper plate.

The only real change was that now you get an identifying temporary plate when you buy a new car rather than a little registration on the windshield and a dealer “advertisement”
The will start enforcing. This is straight from the word of a few friends in law enforcement. Since paper plates were introduced on January 1, they had to have a grace period. For example, I got my new Model S on Dec 29th, and had no paper plates, nor was I required to have any for a few months.
Yes, there is the issue of tolls. That is one reason for this. Here in the city, we have a tremendous amount of home break-ins committed by people who drive away in cars without plates. In the past, people could just use the excuse of the car being new, etc. There was nothing unusual about having now plates, and many honest people chose not to put them on, even if not appropriate. But now, with paper plates from the get-go, there is zero excuse. Going forward, anybody who does not have a plate is clearly and intentionally doing something wrong, making such person immediately suspicious. I am not saying I agree with it, but that's the way it is.

The will start enforcing. This is straight from the word of a few friends in law enforcement. Since paper plates were introduced on January 1, they had to have a grace period. For example, I got my new Model S on Dec 29th, and had no paper plates, nor was I required to have any for a few months.
Yes, there is the issue of tolls. That is one reason for this. Here in the city, we have a tremendous amount of home break-ins committed by people who drive away in cars without plates. In the past, people could just use the excuse of the car being new, etc. There was nothing unusual about having now plates, and many honest people chose not to put them on, even if not appropriate. But now, with paper plates from the get-go, there is zero excuse. Going forward, anybody who does not have a plate is clearly and intentionally doing something wrong, making such person immediately suspicious. I am not saying I agree with it, but that's the way it is.
My black and yellow license plate was stolen, so I put the paper plate back on
Waiting for the pink plate
Hopefully I don’t get pulled over