Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California has a Dog in this Dealership Fight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As it stands, NADA chooses the battleground states. They set the agenda. They dictate the talking points.

I refuse to believe that we can't do better.

Unfortunately, some legislative analysts in this thread are confused.

What the state of TX and NJ have done is violate the "dormant commerce clause" by favoring local businesses over interstate businesses.

Dormant Commerce Clause - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Justice O'Connor has written that: "The central rationale for the rule against discrimination is to prohibit state or municipal laws whose object is local economic protectionism, laws that would excite those jealousies and retaliatory measures the Constitution was designed to prevent."

The Court has defined "protectionist" state legislation as "regulatory measures designed to benefit in-state economic interests by burdening out-of-state competitors." New Energy Co. of Indiana v. Limbach, 486 U.S. 269, 273–74(1988).

The main problem pointed out here by many is not a disagreement over what should happen, just that California has no standing. In two hours, Elon Musk and Tesla Motors could file suit in federal court for violation of the commerce clause, equal protection etc. They have hinted that they intend to go that route. I'm just surprised they waited as long as they have so far.

We can do better but unless you have access to a multimillion dollar PAC to fight them we have to take things as they come and get owners involved at a grassroots level.

There is a long list of people on the site with a vested interest in the success of Tesla Motors. I've heard a list of reasons why my idea is unworkable. I don't have a problem with that. Go ahead and criticize me, but proffer your own idea.

There are many great minds on this site, I would love to hear some your ideas.

Outside forming a PAC and playing the game the way it is rigged at the moment it falls to calling and writing your legislators, organizing events to reach out and speak with them or give rides to show them what kind if car it is, maybe host a fundraising event at your house....etc. They are primarily concerned about reelection. If you can provide them with enough financial assurance or if enough people get angry about these laws and want to get them changed them maybe something can happen.

In two hours, Elon Musk and Tesla Motors could file suit in federal court for violation of the commerce clause, equal protection etc. They have hinted that they intend to go that route. I'm just surprised they waited as long as they have so far.
Dormant Commerce Clause cases have been tricky to win; the federal courts tend to approve of some cases and disapprove of others. You want *all* your ducks in a row before filing such a case. I do not think Tesla has all their legal ducks in a row yet on this matter.