Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California HOA Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

My wife and I live in an apartment building and would like to get a level 2 charger installed. My HOA is asking about additional insurance for the charger as it will be installed in the common area and they want to be covered in case of any problems. This morning I got a call from my our insurance company that they have no way of adding it into our insurance package (or any package) so I'm a little puzzled as to why our insurance company is having such issues.

Has anyone else had this issue? How were you able to insurance? Location is Los Angeles.
This is the legal side I was able to research: Electric Vehicle Charging Stations | FindHOALaw

Insurance Company is Ameriprise

Thank you

Reactions: Watts_Up
I think the title should be changed to something like “Insurance for Public Use Chargers”. You’ll get more eyes on it and the discussion and information is something that will help some people out, HOA or not. I know I hadn’t thought about insurance in cases like this or that insurance was sold for it.

Hello,

My wife and I live in an apartment building and would like to get a level 2 charger installed. My HOA is asking about additional insurance for the charger as it will be installed in the common area and they want to be covered in case of any problems. This morning I got a call from my our insurance company that they have no way of adding it into our insurance package (or any package) so I'm a little puzzled as to why our insurance company is having such issues.

Has anyone else had this issue? How were you able to insurance? Location is Los Angeles.
This is the legal side I was able to research: Electric Vehicle Charging Stations | FindHOALaw

Thank you

This got me thinking about not only insurance but maintenance so checked out ChargePoint’s site since they are a large charging company. Found this service they offer for HOAs and apartments. Might be worth looking into for your complex @t3slafelix.

Multi-Family Home Service | ChargePoint

Ok maybe better title would be something like “Obtaining Insurance and Maintenance for Shared MultiFamily Charging Situations”. I sent in a title change request.

Last edited:
Hello,

Thank you
You can try contacting the LA Clean Cities Coalition office. They work on things like Workplace Charging or Multi-Unit Dwelling charging programs. Your needs aren't exactly the same since you're just trying to get a single unit installed, instead of a full building system. But they will likely have some suggestions if you're still striking out.

Their email is [email protected]

I have heard buildings asking the parking space owner/operator to get at least $1M in "liability" coverage. You should be able to ask your home insurer for a quote for extending your existing liability coverage. They will ask a few questions to assess what they see are likely problems. So few people have trouble with EV/chargers, that the extra insurance rarely costs more than about $100 per year.

Hello,

Thank you

I live in a townhouse and installed a charger in my parking space in front of my house. Had approvals from HOA, county, etc. Eight months later the HOA passed a standard that I need to provide $1 millon of liability insurance and pay for any additional cost to their insurance. Two of us in the community called our insurance companies (State Farm and USAA). Both said that they have never had a claim relating to an EV Charger. One said it was like "asking us in insure your dryer outlet" and since there is no history of claims, where did the $1 million number come from. They also strongly recommended against naming the HOA as "additionally insured" since any claim for any reason would be result in the check being made out to the homeowner and the HOA. HOAs seem to be able to do whatever they want without any substantiation. I have asked what they considered to be a risk and where the $1 million number came from. All I get is dead silence. While these same board member have vehicles in their parking spaces that contain 10 to 20 gallons of highly flammable, explosive liquid, but that does not seem to pose a risk.

I live in a townhouse and installed a charger in my parking space in front of my house. Had approvals from HOA, county, etc. Eight months later the HOA passed a standard that I need to provide $1 millon of liability insurance and pay for any additional cost to their insurance. Two of us in the community called our insurance companies (State Farm and USAA). Both said that they have never had a claim relating to an EV Charger. One said it was like "asking us in insure your dryer outlet" and since there is no history of claims, where did the $1 million number come from. They also strongly recommended against naming the HOA as "additionally insured" since any claim for any reason would be result in the check being made out to the homeowner and the HOA. HOAs seem to be able to do whatever they want without any substantiation. I have asked what they considered to be a risk and where the $1 million number came from. All I get is dead silence. While these same board member have vehicles in their parking spaces that contain 10 to 20 gallons of highly flammable, explosive liquid, but that does not seem to pose a risk.

I'd laugh, but obviously this is a serious problem facing you and many EV owners.

And in fact, HOAs generally. I've seen a lot on Youtube and it is sickening. Its hard to tell if such problems affect only a very small number of HOAs and make news only for their absurdity.

State Farm told me that there would be no charge to add my HOA as additionally insured. Both State Farm and USAA have never had a claim. It is difficult to price with no underwriting data. I wish that Tesla were willing to help with this. These decisions by HOAs seem to be completely arbitrary and unsupported by data.