Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California HOV decal delays?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
mailed 12/30. Check cashed 1/31. Received sticker 2/7. Trimmed the white edge

Attachments

• IMG-0173.JPG
    IMG-0173.JPG
    378.3 KB · Views: 230
It's always going to take longer at the beginning of a new program year. Thats when most folks who bought their cars in the 4th quarter usually apply for their stickers. I bought my car in October, but mailed in my application on 1/2. Received my stickers on 2/7.

• Informative
Reactions: Kleenerth3
I sent mine in on december 27th (figuring there was no chance they would process it before the 1st of the year, so I would get the ugly but longer lasting lavender decals). I received my decals on Feb 7th in the mail, and got the purple ones which I cant bring myself to put on the car as of yet... lol.
I agree, M3P+, red multi coat...purple stickers, no way. Since I don’t commute to work, I will leave them in my DMV file. I don’t understand why CA DMV cannot make clear stickers that would better blend with any color car.

Reactions: jjrandorin
The delay is now about 4-5 weeks from mailing to the CA DMC SPU to them getting to cash your check (...and probably opening your envelope). One the check is cashed, the stickers go out pretty promptly. Search here on TMC for many parallel threads on the subject.

You can call the Special Processing Unit at 916-657-9035. You will get a recording if the office is closed. During normal hours you will also get a recording and will be told that they have a heavy call volume. After listening to music on hold for a while, you will get an option to leave a call back number. If you do leave a number, you will get a live (not machine generated) call back (so be sure to answer). You will get a pleasant helpful staffer who will check the system with your license plate or VIN. But they are 2 months behind in opening the mail and processing applications for HOV stickers. So if they have not opened your mailing, there is nothing they can tell you. It's not their fault--the DMV does not assign sufficient staff, and the volumes of applicants in 2019 (...really with the ramped up deliveries of Model 3) has exploded. Remember a couple of years ago they just had a small number of Tesla applicants and a few Volt & Leaf applications to handle. They probably now get the same number of applications in 1 month that they used to get all year. Not sure what congressman or state senator you want to complain to, but I doubt there will be much sympathy or effort to change. The DMV is overworked and underfunded, and for sure any 'enhancement' of the 'HOV entitlement' will not be looked upon fondly. YMMV.

BTW, I know the above since I just called this morning.....and I mailed in my 2nd application (first was lost in the mail) in mid-January.

You can call the Special Processing Unit at 916-657-9035. You will get a recording if the office is closed. During normal hours you will also get a recording and will be told that they have a heavy call volume. After listening to music on hold for a while, you will get an option to leave a call back number. If you do leave a number, you will get a live (not machine generated) call back (so be sure to answer). You will get a pleasant helpful staffer who will check the system with your license plate or VIN. But they are 2 months behind in opening the mail and processing applications for HOV stickers. So if they have not opened your mailing, there is nothing they can tell you. It's not their fault--the DMV does not assign sufficient staff, and the volumes of applicants in 2019 (...really with the ramped up deliveries of Model 3) has exploded. Remember a couple of years ago they just had a small number of Tesla applicants and a few Volt & Leaf applications to handle. They probably now get the same number of applications in 1 month that they used to get all year. Not sure what congressman or state senator you want to complain to, but I doubt there will be much sympathy or effort to change. The DMV is overworked and underfunded, and for sure any 'enhancement' of the 'HOV entitlement' will not be looked upon fondly. YMMV.

BTW, I know the above since I just called this morning.....and I mailed in my 2nd application (first was lost in the mail) in mid-January.

...typo in above..phone is 925-657-8035. Sorry.

I called DMV today and after a 30 minute hold, the guy told me it can take 2 -4 weeks after the check is cashed. If it doesnt show up, then I can...drum roll...APPLY AGAIN! No mention if I have to pay the $22 again. Got to love the DMV.