Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California: HOV pending, has anyone used HOV lane w/o stickers & been pulled over?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would think the CHP would know that Teslas are Electric and not bother to pull you over. Same with Leafs and Prius. It's fairly dangerous to pull someone over on the Freeway so I'd hope they would just let it pass and focus on more serious issues. Personally, I'm not going to put stickers on my new car until I get a Ticket. I hate the idea of having those on my paint. I heard some folks are putting them in the windows and they've never been pulled over. They need to come up with something simple that goes on your license plate or some other alternative.

I have my stickers in the rear and side windows. A few weeks ago I was in the HOV lane, and I CHP on a motorcycle was hiding on the left shoulder looking for those that shouldn't be in the HOV lane. A I passed him, he came after me. He pulled up along side of me, looked at the stickers in the window (they are supposed to be on the bumper), and then dropped back.

Either he didn't know it was an electric vehicle, or didn't care, and wanted to make sure I had stickers, but I'm guessing it was the later...

I have my stickers in the rear and side windows. A few weeks ago I was in the HOV lane, and I CHP on a motorcycle was hiding on the left shoulder looking for those that shouldn't be in the HOV lane. A I passed him, he came after me. He pulled up along side of me, looked at the stickers in the window (they are supposed to be on the bumper), and then dropped back.

Either he didn't know it was an electric vehicle, or didn't care, and wanted to make sure I had stickers, but I'm guessing it was the later...
Maybe I'll put 'em in the windows...

Yes, I would never put those stickers directly on paint of ANY car. I had stickers on old '05 Prius on the glass on the hatchback and drove carpool lane every day to work without any problem. I've driven the Tesla in HOV couple times without the stickers and no problem.

Remember another option is to get some paint protection film back there and put stickers on it.

Bottom line is it will depend on whether the CHP'er has a bug up his/her butt on any given day but my personal experience is that with all the people I see driving the HOV lane in non-qualified cars and single drivers...they have bigger fish to fry on most days.

While I was waiting for my stickers for the MS I borrowed one of the stickers from my wife's MiEV and taped it onto the inside right lower corner of the hatch window. Never had a problem.

I've never put on more than one sticker on any EV I've owned since 2002.

Though I hated to put a sticker on my MS, I put only the smaller one next to the rear license plate.

So far no hassles from the CHP.

Takes 1-3 mos to get the stickers I guess but 680 traffic is horrendous. Will CHP stop me without my stickers?

I travel on 680 every day - southbound in the morning, northbound in the evening. Yes, traffic is horrendous. I have my stickers down low on the rubber/plastic part of the bumper, and hence don't really look too bad. CHP is out on 680 every day on the shoulder, especially between Andrade / Sheridan, and also at Durham / Auto Mall exits. I have seen them pull over HOV lane violators, but never noticed an EV pulled over.

Got pulled over by CHP on 680 south by the Sunol grade. He said he couldn't see my stickers. They'll get you.... Not worth it. I told the CHP officer to look lower on the bumper.. I put it on the plastic part of the bumper... At least I can replace that part when it expires.

I was thinking of putting just the small on on the back as well (and keeping the other stickers in the glove box in case they pull me over)

Do you have a picture of your placement next to the license plate?

2013-10-07 11.16.38.jpg

I called DMV about it before I had my stickers. They informed me that I could not drive in the HOV lane without the sticker. I was initially hesitant about placing the decal on my bumper, but I read another post where someone mentioned that they view it as a badge of honor on the car. I like that... so I put it on the car. On the other hand, I don't use the front licenses plate. :biggrin:

I have heard stories about CHP ticketing big time without the HOV stickers on the car, and even if you have them in the car but not mounted. The stickers are numbered and correspond to the registration, so they do not want the stickers UNmounted to avoid any temptation to abuse the system. Is the esthetic issue enough to risk a $$$ fine? You will get no sympathy from the CHP, and for sure you will get hateful (and not jealous) stares from those stuck on 680 slogging through traffic as you zip by masquerading as a scofflaw.

T2.jpg

You will note that I mounted mine on the black rubber trim, not the paint. Looks better, a bit less obvious, still legal. Consider the stickers a badge of honor and a real perk--worth is for me. Depends a lot on what your time and aggravation are worth.

Oh, BTW, I choose to NOT mount a front license plate (...so there you go...).

^^^^^ It's better than the paint, but I still truly hate how that looks^^^^^^^^ I just don't think I can do that to my new baby. I'll probably take my chances since I rarely use the HOV lanes. It's a shame they can't come up with a better solution. Anyone know how much the first ticket is? :(

Consider the stickers a badge of honor

I don't need a badge of honor. The car has one already, it says "Model S" :)

Sadly, I will be putting the small sticker on the back somewhere. I might even begrudgingly put the large one on the passenger side. But there is no way I'm adding the 3rd large sticker on the driver side. That one is ridiculous, since no one can even see it when you are in the carpool lane.