Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California HOV sticker?? Lol .. really????

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can't believe this is still an on-going topic of discussion. It's in black and white in the CA Vehicle Code. If you don't have it properly "AFFIXED" to the vehicle in the designated areas, you ARE going to get a ticket, upon the officer's discretion. DMV won't issue plates because the privilege is only good for 4 years! Hence the different color stickers depending on the year you got them.

It's almost similar to BC, Canada where for EV need to be registered to use the HOV lane as well for their highways.

The sticker looks more clean but I always wondered what it was for a long time since a lot of Tesla's roaming in the area this sticker on the back of their vehicle. At the time, I thought it was a vehicle with a tail on it without realizing the end part is actually a plug.

1672308715784.png

Last edited:
has anyone tried using a magnet? I just ordered my stickers, so I haven't received them yet with where to put them, but are the areas they require them not metal? Or are they? I would definitely get magnetic paper and not pay the 30 plus dollars for a precut one:
Yes, I got a magnetic sheet and cut the sheet to match the shape of the sticker, put the sticker on the sheet, and then stick the magnet with the sticker on top when I am actively using it. Then once the drive is over, it is removed. There will be no ruined paint or residue left behind when this sticker expires.

umm, why? Don’t get me wrong, I completely understand the purpose behind it and shows that you have a clean air vehicle… but not to sound rude about it. But why the heck would you put a sticker on your vehicle, when it’s obvious that you are in a Tesla and all are clean air vehicles. It says it right there in the description that this applies to all eligible vehicles. Again, it’s a Tesla, all and ever single Tesla will be eligible. Seem like a waste of resources to produce all these stickers. I googled this and they do not look good on a 60k+ car. They really need to change this to … if you own an all electric vehicle l, you can use the HOV and if you get pulled over in a non all EV car, you get a ticket. Simple and clean if you ask me. Just sayin.
I love this Texas argument. I got the same trope from my brother in Houston. LOL

It USED to be true that it was obvious what vehicles qualiifed for HOV lane use. NO MORE - there are too many types now available.
It USED to be true that CA was determined to promote EV's. Now it's mostly done, and they're limiting how many years a single driver can use the HOV lanes.
Further, it's become another way for CA to generate Administrative Fees (not a TAX mind you ! )
Finally, the State of California will eliminate ALL such HOV sticker access after September 2025. Rules for everyone will return to HOV = Minimum Driver Plus One.
I can tell you the use of the HOV lanes is a huge benefit though !!

But it is true that the stickers look like crap. And they don't remove easily - they deliberately leave residual paper and adhesive.
So I pasted mine on a PPF backer, then stuck it on. When the time comes, removal will be trivial.

Yes, I got a magnetic sheet and cut the sheet to match the shape of the sticker, put the sticker on the sheet, and then stick the magnet with the sticker on top when I am actively using it. Then once the drive is over, it is removed. There will be no ruined paint or residue left behind when this sticker expires.
those magnetic backers will get stolen. guaranteed.
just put the sticker on a PPF backer. Not so easily removed or stolen, and when the time comes to remove it, no paint damage.

has anyone tried using a magnet? I just ordered my stickers, so I haven't received them yet with where to put them, but are the areas they require them not metal? Or are they? I would definitely get magnetic paper and not pay the 30 plus dollars for a precut one:
magnetic backers will get stolen. guaranteed.
when you get them, just put the stickers on a PPF backer then stick the PPF onto the car.
no paint damage or residue hassle when it comes time to remove them.

Can't believe this is still an on-going topic of discussion. It's in black and white in the CA Vehicle Code. If you don't have it properly "AFFIXED" to the vehicle in the designated areas, you ARE going to get a ticket, upon the officer's discretion. DMV won't issue plates because the privilege is only good for 4 years! Hence the different color stickers depending on the year you got them.
all EV HOV stickers expire effective September 30 2025.
regardless of when they were issued, so many people won't get a very long-duration pass to the HOV lanes.
assuming they even know to apply for and pay just $22.00 for the stickers.

and despite driving 30,000 miles a year back and forth to LA for 20 years......I've NEVER seen a CHP pull over anyone for HOV violations.

those magnetic backers will get stolen. guaranteed.
just put the sticker on a PPF backer. Not so easily removed or stolen, and when the time comes to remove it, no paint damage.
How will they get stolen if they're not even on the car when it's parked? They get removed after every use. Someone would have to steal them out of the inside of my car but if people are going to break into my car, I'd assume that they'd steal something more interesting than my HOV stickers.

How will they get stolen if they're not even on the car when it's parked? They get removed after every use. Someone would have to steal them out of the inside of my car but if people are going to break into my car, I'd assume that they'd steal something more interesting than my HOV stickers.
can't wait for the rain while you're at the grocery store 😀 but it'll work if you do the work

You really take the time and effort to remove them all every time you park? Then reapply them all when you need them again?

I wouldn’t consider removing magnets each time you park that big of a hassle unless you’re constantly on the move. Take 20 seconds to remove them and drop them in the frunk. Done. But then I don’t live in Cali and don’t have this lame First World problem. 😘

No magnet on the front because I couldn't get it to stick to the front bumper, which is plastic. CHP doesn't really care, as long as they see that you have the stickers.
Yeah….until you get that $500+ HOV violation ticket. Some CHP do care, that all of the stickers are in-place as required. Just because you haven’t been caught yet doesn’t mean they don’t care.

Yeah….until you get that $500+ HOV violation ticket. Some CHP do care, that all of the stickers are in-place as required. Just because you haven’t been caught yet doesn’t mean they don’t care.
Sure, there's always the risk that the cop is going to be a jerk, just like if you go 66 mph in a 65 mph zone, you can technically be ticketed. It's not something that keeps me up at night though. On my other car (a PHEV) I do the same thing and have never been pulled over, and those stickers expire in 2 days.