Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California HOV sticker?? Lol .. really????

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
umm, why? Don’t get me wrong, I completely understand the purpose behind it and shows that you have a clean air vehicle… but not to sound rude about it. But why the heck would you put a sticker on your vehicle, when it’s obvious that you are in a Tesla and all are clean air vehicles. It says it right there in the description that this applies to all eligible vehicles. Again, it’s a Tesla, all and ever single Tesla will be eligible. Seem like a waste of resources to produce all these stickers. I googled this and they do not look good on a 60k+ car. They really need to change this to … if you own an all electric vehicle l, you can use the HOV and if you get pulled over in a non all EV car, you get a ticket. Simple and clean if you ask me. Just sayin.

It’s because they limit the amount of time you can use HOV lanes. How else can they identify you’re beyond the 2 year time frame?
I guess, buts it’s so freakin ugly and makes the car look bad. They should just allow all full EV cars eligible to use the HOV for as long as they want. Seems silly to me. Just another way for the state to get money if they cost anything. If it’s free, then they are wasting resources and costs producing these. I live in Texas, so I have no skin in the game, this was just an observation when I was in Cali last earlier this month with all these Tesla’s with the sticker right on the ass cheek of the number.

Reactions: S3XY1138
I agree, not too mention its a sticker you place on a bumper, which has a good chance of peeling the paint with the sticker when you try to remove.
Worse than that (arguably), it's one of those tamper evident stickers, which leaves half of it behind when you take it off.
Took me about an hour with goo gone to remove the residue.

I've seen people recommend to stick it onto a small piece of PPF, and then stick that onto the car instead, for a cleaner removal.

Worse than that (arguably), it's one of those tamper evident stickers, which leaves half of it behind when you take it off.
Took me about an hour with goo gone to remove the residue.

I've seen people recommend to stick it onto a small piece of PPF, and then stick that onto the car instead, for a cleaner removal.
This is a great product to glue that sticker to.
I started using it when it took me 30 min to remove sticker that is issued for a year from my windshield.

I guess, buts it’s so freakin ugly and makes the car look bad. They should just allow all full EV cars eligible to use the HOV for as long as they want. Seems silly to me. Just another way for the state to get money if they cost anything. If it’s free, then they are wasting resources and costs producing these. I live in Texas, so I have no skin in the game, this was just an observation when I was in Cali last earlier this month with all these Tesla’s with the sticker right on the ass cheek of the number.
State needs to make money some how right? You know what’s even more crazier and straight backwards…Texas not allowing any Texas built Tesla to be sold to any Texas resident.

The simple fact is having the sticker on the car is the LAW here in CA. Take it from a person who have gotten pulled over by the CHP (I had the stickers in the glove compartment). I was let off with a fix-it ticket to affix them to the car plus a stern warning that I would be ticketed if caught driving in the HOV lane without them on my vehicle.

Last edited:
Reactions: ucsdsig
It's hard for enthusiasts like us to comprehend, but there are people out there who can't tell a Tesla from Toyota Corolla. You'd think that LEOs would be better at identifying vehicles than the general population, but I know two different people who have gotten citations (not for HOV violations) where the make/model on the citation didn't match the vehicle they were driving. The stickers are ugly, but it's a lowest common denominator solution to the issue.

Same with parking stickers here in Chicago. Ugly and impossible to take off so much they sell PPF you can apply to make them easier to remove. Also add in toll transponders. I do everything possible to hide or minimize them but sometimes it's impossible.

umm, why? Don’t get me wrong, I completely understand the purpose behind it and shows that you have a clean air vehicle… but not to sound rude about it. But why the heck would you put a sticker on your vehicle, when it’s obvious that you are in a Tesla and all are clean air vehicles. It says it right there in the description that this applies to all eligible vehicles. Again, it’s a Tesla, all and ever single Tesla will be eligible. Seem like a waste of resources to produce all these stickers. I googled this and they do not look good on a 60k+ car. They really need to change this to … if you own an all electric vehicle l, you can use the HOV and if you get pulled over in a non all EV car, you get a ticket. Simple and clean if you ask me. Just sayin.
How would the cop knows you pay $22 to DMV? Yah, they might punch in license numbers and figure out, but that's too much work for them. Also, how would they know your HOV is expired

Reactions: ucsdsig

The sticker only gives you four years of HOV lane access, then they expire. That's why they have different colors.