Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California incentive - has anyone successfully done it?

njhtran

Jun 11, 2020
Temecula
California boosts SGIP battery incentives in response to wildfires

"SGIP offers equity resiliency applicants a rebate of $1 per watt-hour of battery storage installed. A Powerwall battery holds 13.5 kilowatt hours (kWh).

With that said, those who qualify for SGIP’s equity resiliency program would technically be eligible for a rebate of $13,500. However, since the cost of the system is less than $13,500, you would get a rebate equal to the system cost.

This allows energy storage technologies to be more accessible to those who live in high fire risk communities. "

I'm in a Tier 2 fire risk area. Thinking about adding the Powerwall to my existing solar order *if* I can confirm that I am eligible and can get a confirmed rebate amount before committing. However, the process and documentation is confusing.

miimura

Aug 21, 2013
Los Altos, CA
I don't know how true it is, but I saw someone say online that SGIP Equity Resiliency for PG&E territory became fully subscribed in the first day it was open for reservations. You can see on the web site SGIP | Program Metrics that only SCG (SoCal Gas territory) is "Open". Everyone else is "Waitlist" status for Equity Resiliency.

• Informative
Reactions: njhtran

njhtran

Jun 11, 2020
Temecula
How do you apply for it?

Honestly, I dont know. but according to this page it says "step 5" is available at $2900. However, spoke with an advisor and he said step 5 is full we are at step6 but there aren't any guarantees since the list of people waiting to get that one is extensive.

I think I've made a decision based on this forum's very helpful info. It comes down to the fact that if I buy it now with my solar, I'll spend $10.7k and if I decide to do it later I'll spend $17. It seems like a big enough discount to do it considering the potential advantages it provides.

Last edited:

RKCRLR

Apr 13, 2020
Garden Valley, CA
I haven't yet received my SGIP Residential Equity Resiliency incentive but I have one reserved. PG&E needs to provide my PTO and then Tesla will submit the final paperwork.
You don't directly apply for the incentive (at least not from a practical standpoint but it has been done), your installer needs to do it for you.
PG&E opened up for incentive applications on May 1 and it was fully subscribed by May 12. There is supposed more funding in the future.
I'm in a Tier 2 threat area and am on a well so that is what qualified me.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
I haven't yet received my SGIP Residential Equity Resiliency incentive but I have one reserved. PG&E needs to provide my PTO and then Tesla will submit the final paperwork.
You don't directly apply for the incentive (at least not from a practical standpoint but it has been done), your installer needs to do it for you.
PG&E opened up for incentive applications on May 1 and it was fully subscribed by May 12. There is supposed more funding in the future.
I'm in a Tier 2 threat area and am on a well so that is what qualified me.

I was hoping you would chime in, as I remember you were one who is on track to get this done for themselves.

Reactions: RKCRLR

diyguy

Aug 16, 2019
SCE service area
I had my Powerwall installed in January and Tesla is still processing the paperwork with Southern California Edison. I’m not in a fire area so I haven’t followed the status of funds for that purpose.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC