Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California incentive - has anyone successfully done it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
California boosts SGIP battery incentives in response to wildfires

"SGIP offers equity resiliency applicants a rebate of $1 per watt-hour of battery storage installed. A Powerwall battery holds 13.5 kilowatt hours (kWh).

With that said, those who qualify for SGIP’s equity resiliency program would technically be eligible for a rebate of $13,500. However, since the cost of the system is less than $13,500, you would get a rebate equal to the system cost.

This allows energy storage technologies to be more accessible to those who live in high fire risk communities. "

I'm in a Tier 2 fire risk area. Thinking about adding the Powerwall to my existing solar order *if* I can confirm that I am eligible and can get a confirmed rebate amount before committing. However, the process and documentation is confusing.

How do you apply for it?

Honestly, I dont know. but according to this page it says "step 5" is available at $2900. However, spoke with an advisor and he said step 5 is full we are at step6 but there aren't any guarantees since the list of people waiting to get that one is extensive.

I think I've made a decision based on this forum's very helpful info. It comes down to the fact that if I buy it now with my solar, I'll spend $10.7k and if I decide to do it later I'll spend $17. It seems like a big enough discount to do it considering the potential advantages it provides.

Last edited:
I haven't yet received my SGIP Residential Equity Resiliency incentive but I have one reserved. PG&E needs to provide my PTO and then Tesla will submit the final paperwork.
You don't directly apply for the incentive (at least not from a practical standpoint but it has been done), your installer needs to do it for you.
PG&E opened up for incentive applications on May 1 and it was fully subscribed by May 12. There is supposed more funding in the future.
I'm in a Tier 2 threat area and am on a well so that is what qualified me.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
I haven't yet received my SGIP Residential Equity Resiliency incentive but I have one reserved. PG&E needs to provide my PTO and then Tesla will submit the final paperwork.
You don't directly apply for the incentive (at least not from a practical standpoint but it has been done), your installer needs to do it for you.
PG&E opened up for incentive applications on May 1 and it was fully subscribed by May 12. There is supposed more funding in the future.
I'm in a Tier 2 threat area and am on a well so that is what qualified me.

I was hoping you would chime in, as I remember you were one who is on track to get this done for themselves.

Reactions: RKCRLR