Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California: Interesting Model S Roadtrips using Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have seen references to local owners using superchargers instead of their own home chargers and the only comment I will make is that superchargers should be for those on a road trip and should not be a substitute for your own home charger. We had two free J1172 chargers in Laguna Beach for a few years now that we used to use for our Leaf from time to time. Recently they became "paid" units at $3.00 an hour because local EV owners were using them all the time instead of buying a home charging unit. Enough said. I will get off my soapbox now.

+1 I agree - not sure if this explains the heavy use at Gilroy (had to wait for a charger to free up on return trip to Bay Area from Santa Barbara today). Similar experience today as on Friday - just 1 other car charging at Atascadero (6 free stations) but all 4 were in use in Gilroy. Two of the cars were unattended when I arrived, and were still there after I waited for a station, charged, and left.

We left Atascadero with 185 miles of rated range and got to Gilroy with 21 left. Dojng the math you can tell we lost 27 miles of range due to highway speeds. it took longer to charge at Gilroy but we left there with 195 miles of range for the 46 miles back to Carmel.

Thanks for sharing your trip details with us! It actually inspired my wife and I to make a similar trip up the coast next month, from Los Angeles to Carmel. Did you actually need to travel from Atascadero to Gilroy to Carmel as opposed to going straight from Atascadero to Carmel?

Has anyone driven their S to Hearst Castle yet? I am aware I can get there via US-101 and recharge at the Atascadero Supercharger, but I am trying to figure out if any of these routes are possible. I don't know how steep CA-1 can get on the way, or coming from, Hearst Castle.

1) Gilroy Supercharger -> CA-1 -> Hearst Castle -> Atascadero Supercharger

or

2) Atascadero Supercharger -> Hearst Castle -> CA-1 -> Gilroy Supercharger

RWC -> Hearst Castle -> RWC

Has anyone driven their S to Hearst Castle yet? I am aware I can get there via US-101 and recharge at the Atascadero Supercharger, but I am trying to figure out if any of these routes are possible. I don't know how steep CA-1 can get on the way, or coming from, Hearst Castle.

or

Just was talking to the parents, and this summer (~ June 2014 ), and with a P85+ Redwood City to Hearst Castle is about 190. A full charge at 265, heading to Gilroy is only about 40-50 miles, so the supercharger in Gilroy - not sure makes sense. How much time will it take to charge the car from ~210 to ~ 265 miles at a SuperCharger ? That might give a comfortable buffer to make it from Gilroy to Hearst Castle to Atascadero Supercharger.

San Simeon Lodge looks to have a J1772 plug, but doesn't look convenient to park there while taking the tour of the Castle.

Any one actually do this as a day trip in a Model S ?

Thanks!

A couple weeks ago I went by Hearst Castle in my 85 in the other direction :) My road trip was LA -> Big Sur -> Monterrey -> LA. We drove up 101 and charged at Buellton. Then up Hwy 1, spending the night at the Ventana Inn, and filled up using their Level 2 J1772. Then drove to Monterrey staying at the Hotel Clement and used the Level 2 J1772 in their parking structure. Came home on I-5 after stopping in Gilroy. Had a late lunch at Harris Ranch (xlnt IMHO) and stopped at Tejon Ranch. Quite easy and never had less than 75 miles of range.

or

A few weeks ago, I drove from Gilroy down Big Sur to Atascadero and it was not a problem in my 85. See My biggest problem was the 20 miles behind a slow RV that would not use any pull-outs and every time there was a passing zone, there was on-coming traffic.

See Colorado to California and Back Again Using Superchargers and Destination Charging - Page 2

Finally got around to making one of these roadtrips on and off 101 over the long weekend. (Had done a trip down I-5 to LA/Anaheim and out east to Palm Springs a few months ago).

About 600 miles all put together.

Day 1 - Outbound:

Redwood Shores -> Gilroy SC (topped up to 203 miles; in hindsight, would have been okay with a 90% charge) -> Atascadero (topped up to 90%: 182 miles) -> Morro Bay.

The 138 mile hop between Gilroy and Atascadero can be done by a 60 kWh car with ease. I was able to keep up speeds of 70-80 mph with the AC at 68 degrees (range mode) and consumed about 160 miles of range.

Atascadero -> Morro Bay is only a ~20-mile hop.

Stayed at the Beach Bungalow Inn and Suites in Morro Bay. Would highly recommend this place; great hosts, nicely-appointed mini-houses and the parking spot that I got even had 110V outlets and I was able to top up overnight. Didn't need to visit the two J1772 stations in town that were up on PlugShare.

Day 2 - San Simeon, Hearst Castle and around Morro Bay:

The drive up Hwy 1 to San Simeon and the Hearst Castle Visitor Center was very nice. Drove past the towns of Cayucos, Templeton and Cambria. The roundtrip took up only about 70 miles of range.

Day 3 - back home via Atascadero and Gilroy.

Fun trip. Thoroughly enjoyed the drive. Easily done in a 60 as well. It was cool to see some of the folks driving alongside on 101 give incredulous looks as if they were wondering what an EV might be doing in the middle of nowhere.

Some memories:

(Atascadero SC)
uny7adyd.jpg

(In Morro Bay)
tutabyje.jpg

ypa3e2eb.jpg

y3e7emy2.jpg

(San Simeon)
uga6ema2.jpg

2a7ugy7e.jpg

(Hearst Castle)
8uderaqu.jpg

huda3y2e.jpg

Now that Superchargers are getting going along more interesting routes (such as Hwy 101 in California rather than the dreary I-5), thought this might be a good thread to start.

Given the new SCs in Atascadero and Buellton along 101 in CA, I'm considering visiting the following later this summer:

- Morro Bay, CA: on the coast, a mere 17 miles from Atascadero. Nice beach town with some history and attractions such as the Morro Rock, the Peregrine Falcon preserve and so on.

- San Simeon and Hearst Castle - Hearst Castle is probably quite well known; the San Simeon coastline nearby is a nice destination too. Coming from the Bay Area, would necessitate a 42-mile loop back from Atascadero.

- Solvang, CA: a taste of Denmark right here in Calif. Considered by some to be a tourist trap, it's fun all the same. A mere 4 miles from Buellton and is probably worth making the slight detour to, on the way to Santa Barbara.

If you beat me to one of these destinations in your Model S, please post your experiences (including feedback on the destinations themselves for good measure). Please add other interesting destinations as well. Thanks!
Was recently caught heading north from San Simeon to Big Sur Supercharger, to find a fire, and no electric for charging. Hyper mile-ing back to San Simeon, California Days Inn Hotel to charge at 4kw flashing yellow charge port for 12 hours. Tesla, PLEASE install a supercharger station 🙏 in San Simeon, Ca.