Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California, LA to San Jose - 1st trip (need advice!)

ZZ_KITT

Mar 10, 2019
Redwood City, CA
many CA owners have done this trip. As mentioned above by @bmah - your best options are to leave with a good charge, then stop at Harris Ranch and Kettleman City. There is a code for the customer lounge to get in; google it ahead of time, in case it does not show on your Nav when you arrive. Unless your on a long-weekend, there should be chargers available. I would again stop in Gilroy, and drive thru Sonic Gilroy to pick up a monster shake

Enjoy the road, and watch for speed traps....

Reactions: Baytomax
Oct 10, 2019
So-Cal
I take a similar trip every so often when i go to the bay area to see family. I stop at Mojave, Bakersfield, kettleman city, Firebaugh, Hollister, and i make a stop at the Milpitas one so i have juice for around town driving since nobody has an outlet i can use while I'm visiting them.
Could make less stops, but its a faster trip to stop more often for less time, than it is to make less stops more time. Also I have a lead foot and usually do 90'ish when I'm on hwy 5 so that doesn't help with range either 🤷‍♂️ :cool:

Reactions: Baytomax

Kevy Baby

Dis-Member
Supporting Member
Aug 11, 2019
Brea, CA
Going to be heading to the Bay Area from Orange County the second week of August for vacation (going up on a Sunday, coming back the following Saturday). Might take the 101 up. I know it will take longer, but should make for a more interesting drive (the 5 is just a horribly boring drive).

Need

Nov 22, 2017
Rancho Cucamonga
i'll be doing the reverse route... how fast is everyone driving? i know that driving 80 mph will drain the batteries faster.
70 is the speed limit most of the way I think. So most people will be driving 80. I think I was driving about 82 to 85 on average just following the speed of the general traffic.

rotiv54436

Mar 29, 2020
Fremont, CA
70 is the speed limit most of the way I think. So most people will be driving 80. I think I was driving about 82 to 85 on average just following the speed of the general traffic.
oh thanks that what im going do... i just worry i wont have enough charge getting to the next station driving 80 mph.

Need

Nov 22, 2017
Rancho Cucamonga
oh thanks that what im going do... i just worry i wont have enough charge getting to the next station driving 80 mph.

Whenever I left one supercharger for another, I wait until the on board nav says I will have 12% to 15% left when I get there. And when I actually get there (driving 80+), I usually ended up at 12% or higher. So the on board calculation is pretty generous even if you drive 80mph. If you are going to drive 90's.... probably don't leave until the predicted charge is at 18%.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC