Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California, LA to San Jose - 1st trip (need advice!)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
many CA owners have done this trip. As mentioned above by @bmah - your best options are to leave with a good charge, then stop at Harris Ranch and Kettleman City. There is a code for the customer lounge to get in; google it ahead of time, in case it does not show on your Nav when you arrive. Unless your on a long-weekend, there should be chargers available. I would again stop in Gilroy, and drive thru Sonic Gilroy to pick up a monster shake

Enjoy the road, and watch for speed traps....

Reactions: Baytomax
I take a similar trip every so often when i go to the bay area to see family. I stop at Mojave, Bakersfield, kettleman city, Firebaugh, Hollister, and i make a stop at the Milpitas one so i have juice for around town driving since nobody has an outlet i can use while I'm visiting them.
Could make less stops, but its a faster trip to stop more often for less time, than it is to make less stops more time. Also I have a lead foot and usually do 90'ish when I'm on hwy 5 so that doesn't help with range either 🤷‍♂️ :cool:

Reactions: Baytomax
Going to be heading to the Bay Area from Orange County the second week of August for vacation (going up on a Sunday, coming back the following Saturday). Might take the 101 up. I know it will take longer, but should make for a more interesting drive (the 5 is just a horribly boring drive).

oh thanks that what im going do... i just worry i wont have enough charge getting to the next station driving 80 mph.

Whenever I left one supercharger for another, I wait until the on board nav says I will have 12% to 15% left when I get there. And when I actually get there (driving 80+), I usually ended up at 12% or higher. So the on board calculation is pretty generous even if you drive 80mph. If you are going to drive 90's.... probably don't leave until the predicted charge is at 18%.