TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

California lawmakers unplug the state's electric car program

Discussion in 'California' started by Tam, Jul 3, 2016.

1. Tam

Tam Active Member

"...in the state budget passed this month, Gov. Jerry Brown and lawmakers have cut the $500 million originally earmarked for this popular subsidy and other efforts to make heavy-duty trucks more environmentally friendly down to zero,..."

."..Unlike most budget cuts, the decision to slash funding isn't due to a lack of money.

Instead, the decision springs from concerns over the long-term viability of the state's cap-and-trade program, California's primary means of funding efforts to combat climate change...."

• Informative x 1
  2. ddimit

ddimit Member

While they continue to push and install Hydrogen Fueling stations.....

3. Tam

Tam Active Member

Now that the funding is withdrawn and existing owners are on the waiting list because the money has run out, Tesla.com should remove "-$2,500" from California pricing.

4. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

Should? Yes... Will they, probably not for awhile...

The funding should have been income limited from the start, that hasn't helped it's perception...

Jeff

5. jcaspar

jcaspar Member

Toyota must have the California legislators in their back pocket...

6. miimura

miimura Active Member

If CVRP funding is in limbo, then Toyota Mirai lessees are not getting their $5,000 either.

7. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

8. Tam

Tam Active Member

I think the earlier article stated that there is no problem of money shortage. There's a surplus money if you want to fund the currently exhausted Clean Car Rebate Program for owners.

Unfortunately, this proposal of zero-emissions cars does not suggest to restore the Clean Car Rebate Program for owners.

9. miimura

miimura Active Member

This bill is talking about forcing automakers to earn or buy ZEV credits equal to 15% of new car sales by 2020. The auto industry cannot ramp up that fast. The ramp in the ZEV requirement is already 2% per year starting in 2018.

2018 2%
    2019 4%
    2020 6%
    2021 8%
    2022 10%
    2023 12%
    2024 14%
    2025 16%

This will be very challenging for the auto industry. I fully expect them to drag their feet, kicking and screaming all along the way.

10. whttiger25

whttiger25 Member

Is this incentive over for good? any opinions? I'm on the wait list as of June 13 :( I'm not a "high income" buyer, I stretched my budget, bought an inventory model, and am well under the 250k income limit. The timing of hte wait list (3 days) especially frustrating...

11. NikeWings

NikeWings Member

The program still appears to be in a wait-list holding pattern, while the funding is being held hostage for various political maneuverings. A shame since the money is available vs. other situations where the coffers were empty. I hope it works out for you.

You can keep current on any progress here: What does the rebate waitlist mean to me?

• Like x 1
  12. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

A great time to make the move. Bolt's coming and Prime's coming. Make sure they don't ride the state incentive.

13. rlpvl

rlpvl Member

AB1613 would allocate $100,000,000 to the Clean Vehicle Rebate Project. It's currently in the senate, if you want to contact your state senator to express support. It was amended in the senate, so if approved there it will have to go back to the assembly for ratification before going to the governor.

14. Troy916

Troy916 Member

Appears to be dependent on AB1629 too?

15. CuriousG

CuriousG Member

Nobody was buying them in the first place so their effect was negligible.

• Like x 1
  16. SageBrush

SageBrush Active Member

The wider car industry delays, litigates, and delays some more. Then they whine loudly that they do not have enough time.

Color me not sympathetic to their cause.

17. NikeWings

NikeWings Member

The bills and their repeated readings are just showmanship. The support for votes is caught up in the state's cap&trade stance. Support my bill and I will support yours......it's that simple.

• Like x 1
  18. Tam

Tam Active Member

Gov. Jerry Brown, state lawmakers reach last-minute deal on spending cap-and-trade revenues

Under the agreement, the state will spend $900 million on programs to reduce greenhouse gas emissions — nearly two-thirds of the $1.4 billion that has been raised but unallocated. The cap-and-trade program raises money from businesses that purchase permits to pollute.

The plan includes:

• $135 million for transit projects
    • $133 million for the state's main subsidy program for low- and zero-emission vehicles, and another $80 million for a second subsidy for low-income Californians
    • $80 million for urban parks and other green spaces
    • $140 million to assist disadvantaged communities to develop their own local efforts to combat climate change, such as city planning that includes affordable housing and pedestrian walkways

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  19. RubberToe

RubberToe Supporting the greater good

Wow, $133,000,000 is 53,200 rebates. Gonna be busy in the rebates office soon. ;)

RT

20. SageBrush

SageBrush Active Member

Did California meet the cap that justified the tax ?