Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California lawmakers unplug the state's electric car program

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tam

Nov 25, 2012
California

"...in the state budget passed this month, Gov. Jerry Brown and lawmakers have cut the $500 million originally earmarked for this popular subsidy and other efforts to make heavy-duty trucks more environmentally friendly down to zero,..."

."..Unlike most budget cuts, the decision to slash funding isn't due to a lack of money.

Instead, the decision springs from concerns over the long-term viability of the state's cap-and-trade program, California's primary means of funding efforts to combat climate change...."

• Informative
Reactions: David99
This bill is talking about forcing automakers to earn or buy ZEV credits equal to 15% of new car sales by 2020. The auto industry cannot ramp up that fast. The ramp in the ZEV requirement is already 2% per year starting in 2018.

2018 2%
2019 4%
2020 6%
2021 8%
2022 10%
2023 12%
2024 14%
2025 16%

This will be very challenging for the auto industry. I fully expect them to drag their feet, kicking and screaming all along the way.

Is this incentive over for good? any opinions? I'm on the wait list as of June 13 :( I'm not a "high income" buyer, I stretched my budget, bought an inventory model, and am well under the 250k income limit. The timing of hte wait list (3 days) especially frustrating...

Is this incentive over for good? any opinions? I'm on the wait list as of June 13 :( I'm not a "high income" buyer, I stretched my budget, bought an inventory model, and am well under the 250k income limit. The timing of hte wait list (3 days) especially frustrating...

The program still appears to be in a wait-list holding pattern, while the funding is being held hostage for various political maneuverings. A shame since the money is available vs. other situations where the coffers were empty. I hope it works out for you.

You can keep current on any progress here: What does the rebate waitlist mean to me?

Reactions: ChadS
AB1613 would allocate $100,000,000 to the Clean Vehicle Rebate Project. It's currently in the senate, if you want to contact your state senator to express support. It was amended in the senate, so if approved there it will have to go back to the assembly for ratification before going to the governor.

AB1613 would allocate $100,000,000 to the Clean Vehicle Rebate Project. It's currently in the senate, if you want to contact your state senator to express support. It was amended in the senate, so if approved there it will have to go back to the assembly for ratification before going to the governor.

Appears to be dependent on AB1629 too?

The bills and their repeated readings are just showmanship. The support for votes is caught up in the state's cap&trade stance. Support my bill and I will support yours......it's that simple.

Reactions: SageBrush
Gov. Jerry Brown, state lawmakers reach last-minute deal on spending cap-and-trade revenues

Under the agreement, the state will spend $900 million on programs to reduce greenhouse gas emissions — nearly two-thirds of the $1.4 billion that has been raised but unallocated. The cap-and-trade program raises money from businesses that purchase permits to pollute.

The plan includes:

• $135 million for transit projects
  • $133 million for the state's main subsidy program for low- and zero-emission vehicles, and another $80 million for a second subsidy for low-income Californians
  • $80 million for urban parks and other green spaces
  • $140 million to assist disadvantaged communities to develop their own local efforts to combat climate change, such as city planning that includes affordable housing and pedestrian walkways

Gov. Jerry Brown, state lawmakers reach last-minute deal on spending cap-and-trade revenues

Under the agreement, the state will spend $900 million on programs to reduce greenhouse gas emissions — nearly two-thirds of the $1.4 billion that has been raised but unallocated. The cap-and-trade program raises money from businesses that purchase permits to pollute.

The plan includes:

• $133 million for the state's main subsidy program for low- and zero-emission vehicles, and another $80 million for a second subsidy for low-income Californians
  • $140 million to assist disadvantaged communities to develop their own local efforts to combat climate change, such as city planning that includes affordable housing and pedestrian walkways

Wow, $133,000,000 is 53,200 rebates. Gonna be busy in the rebates office soon. ;)

RT

The plan includes:

Did California meet the cap that justified the tax ?