Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California License Plate Reassignment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anybody know how soon I can reassign my personalized CA plate (the black-yellow legacy plate) from my previous vehicle to my new Tesla? My Y currently has a temporary plate but not the regular one. Do I have to wait till my regular plates arrive before I can file the reassignment?

You just go to the DMV and tell them what you want. You have to turn in your unused plates, so they would be the new ones. In CA, you get new plates in the mail. I had already put my old plates onto the new Tesla, so I just took the new ones in and handed them to the guy behind the desk. Sometimes they actually go outside and look at the plates on the car, but it's not a big deal. I had moved my old personalized plates as soon as I got the car, figuring I could explain it to any officer if need be. Then I waited for the new ones to arrive, handed them in and paid my little fee, and went home.

You just go to the DMV and tell them what you want. You have to turn in your unused plates, so they would be the new ones. In CA, you get new plates in the mail. I had already put my old plates onto the new Tesla, so I just took the new ones in and handed them to the guy behind the desk. Sometimes they actually go outside and look at the plates on the car, but it's not a big deal.
Thanks! Did they give you new stickers there? Or you just use the ones that came with the unused plates?

Thanks! Did they give you new stickers there? Or you just use the ones that came with the unused plates?
If you wait til you have the new plates before putting your custom ones on the car, they will give you new stickers to match the proper month and year on your registration that they will print showing the new plates. Yes it is the same as the ones for the white plates but whether you follow the law exactly is up to you.

Reactions: ZGGBMG
We just bought a used Tesla and had custom plates on our previous car. I paid a $55+ reassignment fee (at least I thought I did) to transfer the plates from the old car to the new car. Tesla sales rep told me to bring the old plates and put them on the Tesla before driving off the lot when I picked it up.

Well, a little over a month later we got the new plates from the DMV in the mail (yesterday). LOL. So, I guess we'll make an appointment at the DMV and take off the back plate again (those screws are not easy to use!). <sigh>.