Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California License Plates & Registration

sld12

Dec 7, 2020
Orange County
How long has this been taking on average?

I got my Model 3 on December 30th, so it's been 8 weeks now. I called Tesla and they said they sent the paperwork in on February 1st (why in the world does it take them a month??). I really want to get my HOV stickers too.

RedWhite19

Aug 17, 2020
Los Angeles
I got my car Sept 27th. I got my plates I believe in early December. But it is strange, I got a new Kia Niro EV on Jan 1st and the plates arrived in early February. Don’t know why Tesla is dragging their feet(Never mind, they always drag their feet).

jeremymc7

Feb 3, 2013
U.S.
I one Tesla in June during the Pandemic and one in Dec of 2019 just before. Both plates took forever. But I finally have them both.

Still waiting for my HOV stickers from Dec 2020 submission. Check hasn't even been cashed yet. The HOV I requested in Sep 2020 for the Audi E-Tron arrived like a month later. Go figure. I'm spent hours on the phone and in person with local DMV, state DMV, and office that actually handles the HOV stickers. Those people are working from home so it's a throw-up and to when paperwork is forwarded to them and when they get to it.

Side note: Since you're in Calif get the vinyl stick plate for the front FOR SURE !

https://licenseplatewrap.com/

I
t's a good thing you didn't get the plates sooner. You can get the NEW HOV stickers now that expire a year later !
https://licenseplatewrap.com/

stopcrazypp

Dec 8, 2007
delivered 12/29, still waiting, bay area...
Should not take this long. Did you receive the title yet (that is an indication DMV is processing it at least)? Make sure your delivery center send in the paperwork. If you can't reach someone calling the number for your delivery center, you can try to reach the general online chat support and have them help you track down if your paperwork was received and sent to DMV.
Customer Support

I took delivery in Colma. The timeline was:
12/31/2020 delivery, Colma Delivery center received my paperwork 1/4 via FedEx, title date 1/15 (post mark 1/28), got title 2/1, got plates and registration 2/11

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC