TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

California M3 owners - license plate options at purchase?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by NathanielHrnblwr, Jul 24, 2018.

1. NathanielHrnblwr

Question for those that purchased in CA - did you have the option to pick your license plate style at purchase when Tesla submits paperwork or did you get stuck with the normal white plate and have to order a different style (legacy black/yellow or coastal whale tail) later?

I don't want a personalized plate - random alphanumeric is fine, but I'm thinking the black plate would look better on Midnight Silver and curious if this can be requested upfront.

2. Pkmmte

Pkmmte Le meow

I was never offered the option, so I'm guessing later.

3. Troy916

Troy916 Member

No, but I asked my ISA about transferring a plate and they included the DMV form to do that at after I signed the contract.

4. mrsandman

mrsandman Member

No option to request up front. You’ll have to get the white plate (about 4 weeks) and then request the vanity plate immediately. You’ll get the vanity plate about 2 weeks later. Pretty lame process.

5. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Not my case the DS filled out the REG100 for me at delivery

6. mrsandman

mrsandman Member

Then I guess my DS just sucked.

7. NathanielHrnblwr

What's the REG100? Custom plate form?

8. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Yes :)

9. Trevor B

Trevor B Member

Wrong.

You can request custom vanity plate anytime (even before you have a car).

You will be notified when they arrive at the DMV, at which time you make the trip over to swap your existing sequential plate with the vanity version.

• Love x 1
  10. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

11. jelly

jelly Member

you can request vanity plate any time (online or mail in) but you have to wait for the white plates to arrive in order to trade then for the vanity plate.

No way to order them assigned off the bat.

12. RayK

RayK Member

Had a similar deal with my car. I already had the personalized plates you see to the left. Filled out DMV form 17 and hopefully it was submitted properly to the powers that be. I've had the car for three weeks and still have not seen either a valid registration or title.

13. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Mine took a month ..the reg card went to Tesla than Tesla mailed to me in one of those cylindrical tubes ..my wife left in her car after picking up mail and I found a month after lol :eek:

14. Trevor B

Trevor B Member

I did that 2 months before I got my car ..

15. gambit48

gambit48 Member

I got my registration and plates (same package) in about 2 weeks. I ordered vanity plates immediately (was waiting to see what I got for the normal ones). It said 8-12 weeks for the vanity ones.

I'd order the vanity ones early if you know you want them. Well before you get your car.

16. Mxbzz

Mxbzz Member

It took a little less than two weeks for my original plates/reg card.

Vanity plate, however, took approximately 14 weeks from ordering online to getting the postcard to pickup at the DMV. Add another 2 hours to line up at the DMV, surrender your current plates/reg card, and get the new plates/reg card/stickers.

Pro tip: If you don’t have an appointment, get to the DMV either an hour before opening, or an hour before closing. They are FLOODED with REAL ID license renewals so going anytime in between is guaranteed a long, painful wait.

• Informative x 1
  17. Troy916

Troy916 Member

The associate that helped me at the store warned me that DMV was taking more like 4-6 weeks now for the registration/plates. She also mentioned their (DMVs) computers were down that morning (Monday).

• Informative x 1
  18. fr100

fr100 Member

Took me over 4 months to get my personalized plates this year.

19. Quickstart88

Quickstart88 Member

Got my plate a day ago, I not worry about the back plate being up, but don't want to put up the front plate. Just does not look right for the car. I wish they make a sticker version of the plate. Anyway it's a matter of time. How long I can drive without my plate put up. Anyone know?

20. jelly

jelly Member

Most likely to get pulled over if you drive on fastrak carpool lanes. 110 in particular.

Otherwise you're mostly at risk from meter maids randomly. I don't think you'll get pulled over for it out of the blue.