Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California M3 owners - license plate options at purchase?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question for those that purchased in CA - did you have the option to pick your license plate style at purchase when Tesla submits paperwork or did you get stuck with the normal white plate and have to order a different style (legacy black/yellow or coastal whale tail) later?

I don't want a personalized plate - random alphanumeric is fine, but I'm thinking the black plate would look better on Midnight Silver and curious if this can be requested upfront.

No option to request up front. You’ll have to get the white plate (about 4 weeks) and then request the vanity plate immediately. You’ll get the vanity plate about 2 weeks later. Pretty lame process.

Wrong.

You can request custom vanity plate anytime (even before you have a car).

You will be notified when they arrive at the DMV, at which time you make the trip over to swap your existing sequential plate with the vanity version.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
No, but I asked my ISA about transferring a plate and they included the DMV form to do that at after I signed the contract.
Had a similar deal with my car. I already had the personalized plates you see to the left. Filled out DMV form 17 and hopefully it was submitted properly to the powers that be. I've had the car for three weeks and still have not seen either a valid registration or title.

Had a similar deal with my car. I already had the personalized plates you see to the left. Filled out DMV form 17 and hopefully it was submitted properly to the powers that be. I've had the car for three weeks and still have not seen either a valid registration or title.

Mine took a month ..the reg card went to Tesla than Tesla mailed to me in one of those cylindrical tubes ..my wife left in her car after picking up mail and I found a month after lol :eek:

No option to request up front. You’ll have to get the white plate (about 4 weeks) and then request the vanity plate immediately. You’ll get the vanity plate about 2 weeks later. Pretty lame process.

I got my registration and plates (same package) in about 2 weeks. I ordered vanity plates immediately (was waiting to see what I got for the normal ones). It said 8-12 weeks for the vanity ones.

I'd order the vanity ones early if you know you want them. Well before you get your car.

It took a little less than two weeks for my original plates/reg card.

Vanity plate, however, took approximately 14 weeks from ordering online to getting the postcard to pickup at the DMV. Add another 2 hours to line up at the DMV, surrender your current plates/reg card, and get the new plates/reg card/stickers.

Pro tip: If you don’t have an appointment, get to the DMV either an hour before opening, or an hour before closing. They are FLOODED with REAL ID license renewals so going anytime in between is guaranteed a long, painful wait.

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
Got my plate a day ago, I not worry about the back plate being up, but don't want to put up the front plate. Just does not look right for the car. I wish they make a sticker version of the plate. Anyway it's a matter of time. How long I can drive without my plate put up. Anyone know?

Got my plate a day ago, I not worry about the back plate being up, but don't want to put up the front plate. Just does not look right for the car. I wish they make a sticker version of the plate. Anyway it's a matter of time. How long I can drive without my plate put up. Anyone know?

Most likely to get pulled over if you drive on fastrak carpool lanes. 110 in particular.

Otherwise you're mostly at risk from meter maids randomly. I don't think you'll get pulled over for it out of the blue.