Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California new law requires paper license plates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A new California law starts 1/1/19 that requires paper license plates on all new and used cars (except private party sales). The new plates are valid for 3 months. Doesn't say anything about front plates specifically, but does talk about the "required" number of plates.

One of the reasons for the new law is to make cars easier to identify for law enforcement before they get their regular license plates, and to make it harder for toll road violators...

Temporary Paper License Plates

A new California law starts 1/1/19 that requires paper license plates on all new and used cars (except private party sales). The new plates are valid for 3 months. Doesn't say anything about front plates specifically, but does talk about the "required" number of plates.

One of the reasons for the new law is to make cars easier to identify for law enforcement before they get their regular license plates, and to make it harder for toll road violators...

Finally. If cars are going to be licensed at all, this should have been the requirement all along. Every DMV and car dealer should have a metal plate maker that can make a plate on the spot within 30 seconds, so this should have never been an issue. But at least now they're finally fixing the main problem, even if they're going about it typically stupidly.

I saw one this morning, temporary plates on front and back.

It's about time - a neighbor of mine has had his car three years and still doesn't have plates installed (and I know he is not alone on that). Always annoys me when I see it. Now they will all just be "private party" sales.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo