Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California only: AB544 bill - expiration date for stickers issued after jan 2019?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found this website that explains it in layman terms:
Here's how California's carpool (HOV-lane) stickers work now: updated

Owners of qualified vehicles purchased before January 1, 2017 will have their stickers expire on January 1, 2019. For cars purchased in 2017 or 2018, owners can apply for new red HOV-lane-access stickers that will be valid until January 1, 2022.

For owners who purchase qualifying new cars after January 1, 2019, the red stickers will be valid for three full years and until January 1 of the fourth year. For example, a new car purchased on February 1, 2019 could have a valid HOV sticker until January 1, 2023.

Looks like it has nothing to do with when you apply for the sticker, but with when you purchased the vehicle.
I just got delivery of my car and I'll be sending in my application for clean vehicle decal as soon as I receive my license plate.

It is incorrect. I applied the red sticker on May, 2018. Got the sticker, it will be expired on Jan 1, 2019.

So after 2019, people who bought the car in 2017/2018, still need to reapply for the sticker.

Our stickers need stickers. Make it like our license plates. The rear most sticker would get the new little sticker indicating expiration date. That way you would get a full 36 months.

But seriously, wouldn't be better to just have an EV colored sticker with the month that just goes in place of your normal registration sticker??? This would simply the whole thing. When you renew your registration in year four, you get a notice. "No EV Sticker for You." and you are back to the regular month/color thing.

Naw, that would be too simple and cheap to implement.

Reactions: gambit48 and r0xx0r
Our stickers need stickers. Make it like our license plates. The rear most sticker would get the new little sticker indicating expiration date. That way you would get a full 36 months.

But seriously, wouldn't be better to just have an EV colored sticker with the month that just goes in place of your normal registration sticker??? This would simply the whole thing. When you renew your registration in year four, you get a notice. "No EV Sticker for You." and you are back to the regular month/color thing.

Naw, that would be too simple and cheap to implement.

They are doing the decal business. Your idea will ruin them.