TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

California PG&E, SCE, & SDG&E customers: OhmConnect

Discussion in 'California' started by bonnie, Dec 5, 2015.

1. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Feb 6, 2011
    Columbia River Gorge
    I learned about this great service through GasDoc - once you connect with your utility, you are sent notifications when your electricity is coming from dirty power sources. If you reduce your usage, you get paid (I'm at just over $6 in a day). California prefers to pay residents to reduce energy use, instead of paying a power plant to produce more energy.

You can learn more/sign up by using my link. Or use GasDoc's link if he posts below (you get a $5 credit, we get a $5 credit). Or wiztechy's link. Or ddimit's link.

Added bonus, I set it up to reduce automatically by linking my Nest thermostat. (I'm not willing to link it to my Tesla account...ymmv.) And I love seeing where my energy is coming from, when not running solar. About 45% is coming from geothermal and wind. The rest is natural gas (boo). Great incentive to lower energy use. WHERE'S MY POWERWALL????

Screen Shot 2015-12-05 at 7.30.30 AM.png
  2. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

Oct 21, 2012
    So Cal
    Hmm. But my Tesla charges at night when clean power sources are greatly reduced. Basically, most power that feeds my Tesla is natural gas (but it's not coal at least). Does that mean Ill get notifications to not charge my car every night?
  3. tomas

tomas Traded in 9 rep bars for M3, used to be somebody!

Oct 22, 2012
    Thx, one more thing to throw in hopper. Have both BEVs in SCE territory now and January project is figuring out combo of tariffs and technology to optimize source and cost. Like Bonnie, I may prioritize source over cost.