Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California PG&E solar - which rate plans?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those on PG&E in California with solar, which plans can you choose from?
I am getting different information depending on where I look.

On PG&E solar calculator, at the end of the survey it says you must select from one of the time of use plans: E-TOU-B or E-TOU-C. Both are 4-9pm peak pricing, either only weekdays or every day.

On reddit and message boards, people are saying they force you onto EV2-A plan (which I happen to currently have for to M3 charging).

My neighbor who just got solar but hasn't gotten his bill yet, claims it's a tiered plan and not time of use, and that it is the only plan available for solar customers.

So I'm a bit confused what is the right answer?

Overall, your options are EV2-A, E-TOU-B and E-TOU-C (EV-A and E-TOU-A are not available). All are Time of Use (TOU) rate schedules.

Since you have a Tesla Model 3, I suspect it may be best to stick with the EV2-A plan for now. With an EV, you always have the option to be on the EV2-A plan. I am on EV-A for now and do not look forward to switching to EV2-A.

Capture.JPG

Ultimately, it depends on your TOU energy use during peak periods. If you use a lot more power during peak times and can not shift power use to off peak times, then TOU-B or TOU-C may be better. Although you'll "make more" off the solar during the day, your cost of electricity to charge your Model 3 will go up.

If you stick with the EV2-A rate schedule, when practical (like weekends), consider charging your car during the peak of your solar production (10 a.m. to 3 p.m.). This will help mitigate for the cost of non-bypassable charges (NBC) of approximately $0.02-0.03 per kWh.

• Informative
Reactions: Ampster and xanatos
Overall, your options are EV2-A, E-TOU-B and E-TOU-C (EV-A and E-TOU-A are not available). All are Time of Use (TOU) rate schedules.

Since you have a Tesla Model 3, I suspect it may be best to stick with the EV2-A plan for now. With an EV, you always have the option to be on the EV2-A plan. I am on EV-A for now and do not look forward to switching to EV2-A.

View attachment 514731

Ultimately, it depends on your TOU energy use during peak periods. If you use a lot more power during peak times and can not shift power use to off peak times, then TOU-B or TOU-C may be better. Although you'll "make more" off the solar during the day, your cost of electricity to charge your Model 3 will go up.

If you stick with the EV2-A rate schedule, when practical (like weekends), consider charging your car during the peak of your solar production (10 a.m. to 3 p.m.). This will help mitigate for the cost of non-bypassable charges (NBC) of approximately $0.02-0.03 per kWh.
thanks, super useful and exactly what I was looking for!