Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New CA bill AB1184 being considered: Up to $10K rebate for EV purchases

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been reading about this new AB 1184 trying to understand it's potential impact to EV buyers. Here's a recent article:
California bill would boost electric car rebates by $3 billion, but where will the money come from?

Since we are the absolute BEST in the world of speculation here in the model 3 forum, I am wondering folks thoughts on how it impacts us future M3 buyers? Specifically, when do you speculate it would go into effect? According to the article "The bill has already passed the Assembly and two Senate committees. A full Senate vote could send the bill to Gov. Jerry Brown’s desk within weeks." Usually rebates are NOT retroactive... So it might impact whether a Californian waits for AWD, etc....

I've been reading about this new AB 1184 trying to understand it's potential impact to EV buyers. Here's a recent article:
California bill would boost electric car rebates by $3 billion, but where will the money come from?

Since we are the absolute BEST in the world of speculation here in the model 3 forum, I am wondering folks thoughts on how it impacts us future M3 buyers? Specifically, when do you speculate it would go into effect? According to the article "The bill has already passed the Assembly and two Senate committees. A full Senate vote could send the bill to Gov. Jerry Brown’s desk within weeks." Usually rebates are NOT retroactive... So it might impact whether a Californian waits for AWD, etc....

It will come from Tesla owners.

Reactions: eye.surgeon
It'll probably come from the same place it's coming from currently, auction proceeds from CA's cap and trade program.

California Climate Investments

It's not guaranteed, since there's no guarantee on how much the auctions could bring in or how that money will be allocated, but odds are it'll continue like it has so far.

The cap and trade system has generated less money for the state than anticipated, which is troubling for incentives and the state's high speed rail program. Regardless, incentives are still being issued, and people are building the rail line as we speak, so take it as you will.

Am I reading the bill correctly ?
$10k, and up to another $7.5k if the federal credit goes away ?

I sure hope that EVs are not that far away from ICE price parity. And actually, that price gap does not include the ZEV subsidy which I think is somewhere around $5,000 these days.

Last edited:
I did not see any specifics dollar amounts for the rebate. Though it did reference the net price for the compact EV being relative to the cost of the "most frequently sold compact car". Also note its gives until "September 1, 2018" to implement the change. Hopefully they fund the existing rebate till that time.

I mean, if they gave you the difference between the base price of a Honda Civic and a Model 3, that would be a huge coup for Model 3 buyers.

I think we all realize that the equivalent ICE car to a Model isn't $19,000

Obviously there has to be some cutoff, they aren't going to do the same with the Model S

The bill is in the Senate Appropriations committee in the suspense file. Bills go on suspense if they result in a net cost to the State. I think the threshold is $100k. This Friday is the deadline for bills to come out of suspense and get passed by Appropriations. The bill can only be voted on if the committee chair decides to pull it off suspense for a vote. After Appropriations it'll go to the Senate for a floor vote than back to the Assembly for concurrence with the amendments. It then will go to governor Brown for signature. There are only a few more weeks in this legislative session, so let's keep our fingers crossed.

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
The bill is in the Senate Appropriations committee in the suspense file. Bills go on suspense if they result in a net cost to the State. I think the threshold is $100k. This Friday is the deadline for bills to come out of suspense and get passed by Appropriations. The bill can only be voted on if the committee chair decides to pull it off suspense for a vote. After Appropriations it'll go to the Senate for a floor vote than back to the Assembly for concurrence with the amendments. It then will go to governor Brown for signature. There are only a few more weeks in this legislative session, so let's keep our fingers crossed.
Just out of curiosity, how do know so much about this process!?