Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California rebate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see your point, but Model 3 and all other electrics are not the luxury car i want in my retirement. I will cancel my order and go buy a gas guzzling cadilac or something if they don't change their mind on the rebate (or unless Tesla actually gets me the car by the deadline!) And trust me; I shouldn't be spending money on the Model S with my income... I'm just afraid to invest in anything else right now (stock market due for a crash?) and I'm spending my kids inheritance on my dream car!

Sorry, I can't take anyone who says they'll buy a "gas guzzling cadilac" as opposed to a Tesla because of a $2500 rebate seriously.

There is no comparison to the cars, not even close. Have fun with no auto pilot, changing your oil, tune ups, smog checks, and a car payment every time you want to fill up with Gas. Not to mention driving a demonstrably less safe vehicle. Oh, and what rebate ya getting on that Caddy? That's right, zero.

Talk about penny wise and pound foolish.

Aw c'mon, be on my side!
My biggest beef is that they gave four weeks notice that they were discontinuing rebates for ONLY the Model S which takes up to six weeks to deliver. They need to give adequate notice when they are going to change the rules!!!

It's an incentive, not an entitlement. They can do with it what they wish.

Sorry, I can't take anyone who says they'll buy a "gas guzzling cadilac" as opposed to a Tesla because of a $2500 rebate seriously.

There is no comparison to the cars, not even close. Have fun with no auto pilot, changing your oil, tune ups, smog checks, and a car payment every time you want to fill up with Gas. Not to mention driving a demonstrably less safe vehicle. Oh, and what rebate ya getting on that Caddy? That's right, zero.

Talk about penny wise and pound foolish.

It's an incentive, not an entitlement. They can do with it what they wish.
They should not offer an incentive and then take it away without adequate prior notice.
Wow, I really didn't think I would get negative responses on this forum. I think the Tesla is a better car as well. However, it is not significantly cheaper to operate considering initial purchase cost, insurance, potential repairs, availability of fuel, parts, and repair facilities. Cadillac also offers hands free driving. However, you are entitled to your opinion.
Now you have me making arguments AGAINST Tesla! Sheesh! This is why I hate public forums.

They should not offer an incentive and then take it away without adequate prior notice.
Wow, I really didn't think I would get negative responses on this forum. I think the Tesla is a better car as well. However, it is not significantly cheaper to operate considering initial purchase cost, insurance, potential repairs, availability of fuel, parts, and repair facilities.

Not really true. Recent studies have shown Tesla can be up to 50% the cost of other comparable gas vehicles.

Cadillac also offers hands free driving.

Ummm not even close to Auto Pilot.

Now you have me making arguments AGAINST Tesla! Sheesh! This is why I hate public forums.

As are you but c'mon, what did ya expect coming to a Tesla forum threatening to buy a gas guzzler (your words) because California is limiting their rebate program? Don't take it personally but ya gonna get s**t for that :p (I've gotten my share for some of my posts)

Reactions: Ravenous21
Now you have me making arguments AGAINST Tesla!

Why? You think tax credit and state rebate is created by Tesla and they are to be blamed if taken away? I honestly hope people are buying EV simply for the sake of the environment and the future of their children and grandchildren. Of course I would like to see better and more incentive for people to move to EV but that is up to the politicians.

There is no comparison to the cars, not even close. Have fun with no auto pilot, changing your oil, tune ups, smog checks, and a car payment every time you want to fill up with Gas. Not to mention driving a demonstrably less safe vehicle. .

*stares back on my V10 powered M5*

6BDE342F-5888-4A04-8110-52C83563850E.gif

You’re not kidding! I spend 60 dollars twice a week on fuel. 500 bucks a month is nothing to sneeze at, that’s money I want to be putting toward TSLA. Can’t tell you how much I want the Model X already! As soon as our house remodel is done, I’m ordering the model X!

Oil changes aren’t bad, Gives me an excuse to browse the new model M5 while I wait.

• Funny
Reactions: NoMoGas
Why? You think tax credit and state rebate is created by Tesla and they are to be blamed if taken away? I honestly hope people are buying EV simply for the sake of the environment and the future of their children and grandchildren. Of course I would like to see better and more incentive for people to move to EV but that is up to the politicians.
Heck no!
I don't blame Tesla! I just want the air resources board to stick to their rules for the rebate until I get mine! :)
I want to save the environment too... which is (partly) why I ordered a Tesla. Imagine my surprise when the day after i ordered it I found out the rebate rules had changed a couple days before! Seriously, they could have made the rules change effective December 31st instead of four weeks after posting the change.

I don't have an issue with California changing their incentive program.

But a bunch of people ordered Model S's and Model X's in September and October. They were sold on Teslas with the understanding that they would be receiving a $2500 rebate. These people were told by Tesla to expect delivery in two weeks.

Two weeks has turned into two months. And now the rebate program is set to expire. Meanwhile people in other parts of the country are taking delivery of vehicles that they ordered a few weeks ago.

People are upset because the terms of the purchase are being changed after the fact. And rightfully so.

But a bunch of people ordered Model S's and Model X's in September and October. They were sold on Teslas with the understanding that they would be receiving a $2500 rebate. These people were told by Tesla to expect delivery in two weeks.

Two weeks has turned into two months. And now the rebate program is set to expire. Meanwhile people in other parts of the country are taking delivery of vehicles that they ordered a few weeks ago.

People are upset because the terms of the purchase are being changed after the fact. And rightfully so.
Anyone buying a tesla and expecting to receive the 2500 is wrong.
If tesla guaranteed the rebate then they are wrong.

As NoMoGas pointed out, the rebate is subject to funds availability. The rebate is not a “guarantee”, unlike the federal tax credit this rebate is here today and gone tomorrow.

Anyone buying a tesla and expecting to receive the 2500 is wrong.
If tesla guaranteed the rebate then they are wrong.

As NoMoGas pointed out, the rebate is subject to funds availability. The rebate is not a “guarantee”, unlike the federal tax credit this rebate is here today and gone tomorrow.

The currently advertised price listed on the Tesla website still includes the $2500 rebate as an incentive. If there is no rebate, they should not be promoting it as part of their advertised price. It is misleading to consumers.

Reactions: msm859
California program has always been kinda flakey.

They don't promise anything. Simply say to apply for a rebate, and they will fill the request if everything works out. They often run out of money and put people on waiting lists. Again...no guarantee. Only say that if they get more funding they will pay it out in the order they received the request. They have changed the program many times. Recently they reduced the amount to $2,000 and put an income cap on the eligibility. Also changed getting a refund or a HOV sticker, but not both...depending on income.

Tesla is doing what they can to get as many cars out the door in time for EOY. Many people are effected differently by this, but the reality is just that world wide demand for their cars far exceeds their ability to fulfill the orders. Gigafactory in China and later in Berlin cannot come on line soon enough.

California program has always been kinda flakey.

They don't promise anything. Simply say to apply for a rebate, and they will fill the request if everything works out. They often run out of money and put people on waiting lists. Again...no guarantee. Only say that if they get more funding they will pay it out in the order they received the request. They have changed the program many times. Recently they reduced the amount to $2,000 and put an income cap on the eligibility. Also changed getting a refund or a HOV sticker, but not both...depending on income.

Tesla is doing what they can to get as many cars out the door in time for EOY. Many people are effected differently by this, but the reality is just that world wide demand for their cars far exceeds their ability to fulfill the orders. Gigafactory in China and later in Berlin cannot come on line soon enough.

Except demand for the S/X has dropped about a third from last year. So they should have the capacity to crank out enough S/X's that have been ordered by Californians and have them delivered before 12/3. They should also stop showing the $2500 as savings for future orders.

not sure about this....I ordered my Model S on 16 Oct and was told the Nov deliveries spots were full and I could expect end of Dec delivery.....they said in order to get free life time charging I had to take delivery by 31 Dec snd I would be able to get tax credit os $1875......they said nothing about the$2500, although I already got it one my model 3.

this issue o have is I am leaving the country on vacation 28 Dec....I called Tesla corporate and they told me that the free charging was included in the sales contract and part of the invoice.....has nothing to do with delivery date..

sales rep telling me I can expect vin number at end of Nov......so hope I get before I leave and get free charging.....

I purchased my vehicle on the Tesla website on 9/22. The Tesla website by default applies a $2500 discount to the purchase price based on the California incentive (in addition to a federal credit of $1875 and gas savings of $5500).

That incentive is still being promoted on the site today.

Last edited:
not sure about this....I ordered my Model S on 16 Oct and was told the Nov deliveries spots were full and I could expect end of Dec delivery.....they said in order to get free life time charging I had to take delivery by 31 Dec snd I would be able to get tax credit os $1875......they said nothing about the$2500, although I already got it one my model 3.

this issue o have is I am leaving the country on vacation 28 Dec....I called Tesla corporate and they told me that the free charging was included in the sales contract and part of the invoice.....has nothing to do with delivery date..

sales rep telling me I can expect vin number at end of Nov......so hope I get before I leave and get free charging.....

How could November deliveries be 'full' when everyone who ordered from Oct- onward is taking deliveries in December?

Just received a text from Tesla: "Your vehicle will be delivering within the next few weeks"

Don't know what that means. But surely they are aware of the expiring rebate and know it is in their best interest to get these cars delivered by then.