Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if they will even need application for it. The people who got Red Stickers with the original expiration date of 1/1/2019 automatically get a new certificate with the new expiration date of 1/1/2022. Maybe they will just mail out the Red Stickers and cert to all the White stickers owners who got the white ones after 1/1/2017.

ARB has updated its website to say that it will mail out beginning Oct. 1 to eligible white and green sticker holders application forms for the red sticker.

I also talked to DMV in Sacramento and got confirmation that the issue date of the sticker is the basis of the red sticker eligibility, including the re-issue date of replacement stickers made in 2017-2018 notwithstanding whether the original issue date was pre-2017.

Reactions: Russell
ARB has updated its website to say that it will mail out beginning Oct. 1 to eligible white and green sticker holders application forms for the red sticker.

I also talked to DMV in Sacramento and got confirmation that the issue date of the sticker is the basis of the red sticker eligibility, including the re-issue date of replacement stickers made in 2017-2018 notwithstanding whether the original issue date was pre-2017.

Pre-filled applications with return envelopes. Sounds like they won't charge the application fee again.

Note: White CAV decals are valid only until January 1, 2019. New white CAV decals are no longer issued. Vehicle owners issued white decals on or after January 1, 2017, who are eligible for the red decal, will be mailed, to their address on file, a pre-filled CAV decal application form with instructions and a return envelope. The pre-filled applications are expected to be mailed around October 1, 2018.

Note: Green CAV decals are valid only until January 1, 2019. New green CAV decals are no longer issued. Vehicle owners issued green decals on or after January 1, 2017, who are eligible for the red decal, will be mailed, to their address on file, a pre-filled CAV decal application form with instructions and a return envelope. The pre-filled applications are expected to be mailed around October 1, 2018.

Clean Air Vehicle Decals - High Occupancy Vehicle Lane Usage

Pre-filled applications with return envelopes. Sounds like they won't charge the application fee again.

While nothing is impossible, I think that if they are not charging the fee again, they could have just mail you the red stickers. You already signed the application before, there is really no reason to mail you a pre-filled form just to sign it again and mail them back. I am thinking the pre-filled form is an excuse to charge you again to process the paperwork.

Reactions: miimura
While nothing is impossible, I think that if they are not charging the fee again, they could have just mail you the red stickers. You already signed the application before, there is really no reason to mail you a pre-filled form just to sign it again and mail them back. I am thinking the pre-filled form is an excuse to charge you again to process the paperwork.

I'm optimistic.
Pre-filled is there to take away some of the burden of reapplying again.

Plus, what if you sold or wrecked the car. You get stickers for a car you no longer own and then the new owner applies for stickers too?

I agree with this completely. The State is not going to produce stickers and not charge for them. They also don't want to blindly send out stickers for the reason above - you may not have the car any more.

DMV will send you a pre-filled application - they will likely collect the $22 again. As loong as your address is the same.

Send it back - wait 3 months for new stickers - the program ends 12/31/2021 - so nothing will be valid thereafter until they extend the program again for maybe 12 months -

Clean Air Vehicle Decals - High Occupancy Vehicle Lane Usage says:

Note: White CAV decals are valid only until January 1, 2019. New white CAV decals are no longer issued. Vehicle owners issued white decals on or after January 1, 2017, who are eligible for the red decal, will be mailed, to their address on file, a pre-filled CAV decal application form with instructions and a return envelope. The pre-filled applications are expected to be mailed around October 1, 2018.

I have not received my "pre-filled out" application form. If anyone has received it, or if you know of a web page where you can apply and indicate it is a red-to-white swap, please let us know. The only link I have found is here:

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/c...04-12f472ef97b4/reg1000.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CVID=

and there is no place to indicate it is a swap like that.

I just spoke with California Air Resource Board staffer at 800-242-4450. She confirmed that (a) the DMV has still not issued an application form for existing White Decal owners to apply for the new Red Decal and she has not received any information about when that application will become available, and (b) when it does become available the rule will be the the ORIGINAL White Decal had to be issued on 1/1/2017 or later for the vehicle to be eligible for the new Red Decal.

She specifically said that if a car had replacement decals due to lost or damaged decals, that's irrelevant .. only the date of original issuance counts.

The URL of the current application form is https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/c...04-12f472ef97b4/reg1000.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CVID=

In the box for why replacement decals are requested, there is no place to check "White to Red transfer" and presumably that will change when DMV starts accepting swap applications.

If any of you see the new application go live, please post here so all of us will know. Thanks

I decided to get a jump on this in case the DMV changed it's mind and submitted the app for replacement stickers about a month ago and received new red stickers already. Took less than 4-weeks, I wrote a note on the app stating it was for red stickers to replace existing white stickers.. Bought the car in 2016 and original white stickers issued Jan 2, 2017 :p

• Love
Reactions: FlatSix911
Is it too much to ask, for Tesla to repaint my White X to match the new stickers.

Tesla is a California company and it is the State of California that is making the sticker color change.

I currently have a White Model X and like that the stickers match the car.

Now that they are changing the stickers to red, Tesla should repaint my X red to match, otherwise the stickers will no longer match as they promised me when I ordered my car. (J/K)

• Funny
Reactions: RayW
I decided to get a jump on this in case the DMV changed it's mind and submitted the app for replacement stickers about a month ago and received new red stickers already. Took less than 4-weeks, I wrote a note on the app stating it was for red stickers to replace existing white stickers.. Bought the car in 2016 and original white stickers issued Jan 2, 2017 :p

Did you pay another $22???