Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The wait is over!

I received my (partially) filled out form from the California DMV in the mail today. :)

It turns out to be their standard REG 1000 form. For those who don't want to wait, you can probably just fill one out with your info and check the boxes shown on the attachment along with your current white decal number (printed on the decal).

But read the second paragraph in the attached letter explaining the January 1, 2017 cut-off date before you send in the form and your $22.

Attachments

• reg1000-Red Decal.pdf
    443.9 KB · Views: 179
  • DMV Letter.pdf
    575.9 KB · Views: 980
  • Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Just received my red stickers today. Purchased a pre-owned 2016 MX 60D in July with white stickers. Mailed in the form early September, surrendered the 1 white sticker on the vehicle, and requested replacement and transfer to new owner.

So either, previous owner had white stickers issued after Jan 1, 2017 or, because I surrendered, I was re-issued new stickers and now eligible and have the red stickers.

I bought a used 2014 MS on 6/17. I got my white sticker on 11/17. The car had the white sticker before. Do I still qualify for the red sticker? According to the wording, I should qulify. "Vehicle owners issued white or green decals on or after January 1, 2017, who are eligible for the red decal, will be mailed, to their address on file, a pre-filled CAV decal application form with instructions and a return envelope"

I bought a used 2014 MS on 6/17. I got my white sticker on 11/17. The car had the white sticker before. Do I still qualify for the red sticker? According to the wording, I should qulify. "Vehicle owners issued white or green decals on or after January 1, 2017, who are eligible for the red decal, will be mailed, to their address on file, a pre-filled CAV decal application form with instructions and a return envelope"

Nope. Sorry

That sucks. I get to drive in the carpool lane only for 1 year? That's not good.
You get to drive in it until 12/31/2018. You can be guaranteed that CHP will be in force ticking all white stickers starting 1/1/19. HOV lanes, and all bridges

I think the find is $400, so it's going to be a good year for CHP and the state.

If I am reading this correctly then yes you do qualify.

If the vehicle was issued white stickers for the first time in November 2017, then yes you are eligible to apply for the red stickers.

I think it depends on when the previous owner applied for the white stickers. He could have done it in 2/2017. But he would be the one getting the pre-filled form.

You could always just fill out the form yourself and mail it in and see what happened. Worst case is that they don't cash your check and you lost a forever stamp.

I think it depends on when the previous owner applied for the white stickers. He could have done it in 2/2017. But he would be the one getting the pre-filled form.

You could always just fill out the form yourself and mail it in and see what happened. Worst case is that they don't cash your check and you lost a forever stamp.

Ahh, I missed the part the car had the white sticker before. This was my same situation where I had no idea when previous owner had white issued. I basically did what you recommended and received the red.

I just wanted to confirm that I received my letter for renewal and updated red decals. I purchased the car used with white stickers that were registered in June of 2014. I renewed the sticker when I purchased the car in January of 2018 with hopes that I could renew with the new registration date. Everything worked and I would encourage used tesla owners to give it try. It will only cost you $22 to try.

I just wanted to confirm that I received my letter for renewal and updated red decals. I purchased the car used with white stickers that were registered in June of 2014. I renewed the sticker when I purchased the car in January of 2018 with hopes that I could renew with the new registration date. Everything worked and I would encourage used tesla owners to give it try. It will only cost you $22 to try.

Congrats! How did you renew the sticker when you purchased the car in 2018?