Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California Renewable Energy Legislation / Progress

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pasadena just raised their electric rates. Here's the kicker: Our condo was trying to install 16 L2 EV chargers in the garage. A $72,000 job would have gotten us a $48,000 rebate. The $24,000 was mostly due to a new transformer. The city relayed to us that they just hire contractors to do the work, and pass the cost along.

If you look at how much the city would make selling power to 16 L2 chargers, it seems pretty short sighted of them to not offer any relief on the transformer upgrade. One of the reasons stated for raising prices was decreasing revenue due to residential SPV installs. By raising prices they are only making things worse for themselves in the long run.

RT

I thought demand charges were supposed to pay for those kind of things. Do you have to pay those in addition?

Each unit is billed separately. There are 3 tiers of consumption. Our EV pushes us into the upper tier where the total cost is $0.26 per KWh. A new transformer for the L2 setup I mentioned would be a new service. It would have had adaptive charging, so peak charges wouldn't really come into play.

See the Powerflex implementation at Caltech for an example.

RT

July (16-17-18-19) daily maximum (GWh) : 877, 851, 876, 817

While totally unscientific, and a tiny data point of one:

We live in Fresno, and we have hot summers. I know for fact that July 2017 and 2018 were quite hot--I believe that we had close 20+ days > 100 degrees, and a few hit 110. Overnight lows would be around 72-78. People cranked up their AC by 10AM (not us, though.)

This past July we had about 12 days > 100 degrees, with one at 107 and one at 106. We only had 6-7 mornings where the lows were 72-74.

It may be partly attributable to "cooler" temperature in July for the interior valleys of California as well as increased rooftop solar.

What did your condo end up deciding ?

The board didn't want to cough up the $24,000 required to get the $48,000 rebate from the city. We already have 4 EV out of 75 spaces. My personal L2 is the only one available. I let others charge for $1 an hour when I'm not home. Lots of my time invested for nothing accomplished. Looking forward, we will not likely ever get an opportunity like that.

RT

The board didn't want to cough up the $24,000 required to get the $48,000 rebate from the city. We already have 4 EV out of 75 spaces. My personal L2 is the only one available. I let others charge for $1 an hour when I'm not home. Lots of my time invested for nothing accomplished. Looking forward, we will not likely ever get an opportunity like that.
Sounds remarkably short-sighted. Are you sure you live in LA and not AL ?

Sounds remarkably short-sighted. Are you sure you live in LA and not AL ?

One of the residents has a space where one of the 16 EV chargers was going to be installed. Mind you, no parking space reassignment was planned since there are only 4 EVs, but that could happen down the road. Just the possibility of that happening in the remote future caused the guy to completely lose his mind. Totally took over the meeting, cause it apparently is all about him. Several others stated that they shouldn't have to help pay for someone else's EV charger. This was even after I showed the board how the system could pay for itself, and even generate a profit when enough residents are charging. And I also asked them to think about how having 16 EV chargers available would increase property values.

Meanwhile, they just voted to spend $35,000 to remodel our two elevators. :eek:

I own an apartment building in SCE territory and made one charging station available for tenants. I have solar on that building but did not anticipate how large the demand charges would be because the house meter is considered commercial. There are a couple of workarounds that I am considering. SCE does have a pilot for dedicated EV charging with no demand charges. It does require a separate meter and my panel may be constrained. Long term I thing it will be attractive to the mix of tenants that I have.

Oops, forgot to post the SPV record chart...

SPV%202019_07_zpsitdqwsgp.jpg

We may be neighbors. I live in Boyes Hot Springs. We also share a bankrupt utility that threatens to shut down power during fire season.
I’m on the east side and done lots of research on a way to have power when Pacific Graft and Extortion decides to turn of the power. Propane and battery storage are both expensive so not sure what I will do because we are on a well which means no power no water.