TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

California sales tax

Discussion in 'Model X: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by CalX, Jan 26, 2016.

1. CalX

CalX New Member

Hi, I just wanted to ask if anyone knew whether the california sales tax for teslas delivered in 2016 is now 3% since the passing of the tax deduction bill. And also I wanted to find out if the city or local taxes are due at delivery or is a bill sent to us somewhere down they line?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm talking about AB945

2. pvogel

pvogel Member

#2 pvogel, Jan 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
    I see no evidence that AB 945 passed. Looks like it got held up in committee in May 2015 and never moved forward.

CA - AB945 | BillTrack50

Too bad, that would have been GREAT!

3. astrotoy

astrotoy Member

The city and local sales taxes are added to the state sales tax as part of the total sales tax when you buy the car. The only exception is when you lease, and then you pay the sales tax monthly, added to your lease payment.

4. pvogel

pvogel Member

That wasn't the question. (Though, yes, if AB945 had passed depending on where you took delivery the tax rate would have ranged from about 4% to just over 5%, it never would have been as low as 3% because of the various local taxes). The question was whether the STATE rate was 3% as a result of AB945 -- the answer is sadly no because it did not get out of committee so it's not law.

I'd love to save 4% on a 147,200 purchase!

Alas, it's not to be :-(

5. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

I contacted the office of Phil Ting who authored the bill and it got stalled in committee so will not happen in 2016. Bummer.

6. CalX

CalX New Member

Thanks for the feedback and answers. I was looking on his website and thought it was accepted. I guess not. That's disappointing.

7. vangogh

vangogh Member

I did learn that the phase out of the Ca EV incentive (for high income earners) will not take effect till mid March...
    So if you get delivery by then, you can apply for the $2500...After that, it will be unavailable for high income earners and the incentive will increase for others....

8. umeshunni

umeshunni Member

Do we need to take delivery or will it be sufficient to have paid for it by then?

9. vangogh

vangogh Member

You need to take delivery as the application for the refund requires the transfer paperwork/registration etc....