Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California shakes up auto industry

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perhaps I missed it elsewhere, but I'm surprised this news doesn't seem to have a thread already:

California shakes up auto industry, says all vans and trucks must be electric by 2024

The headline is misleading, the requirement is that manufacturers must sell zero-emissions vans and trucks in increasing proportions, beginning in 2024. In my opinion this is a big deal.

Under guidelines approved Thursday, at least 40 percent of the tractor trailers sold in California would have to be powered by some form of zero-emissions technology by 2024. Medium-duty trucks, such as the Ford F-250 or Chevrolet Silverado HD, would be required to switch over 55 percent of their sales by 2035; and 75 percent of delivery trucks and vans would have to use zero-emissions powertrain technology by 2035, a point by which fully 100 percent of government fleets and last-mile delivery trucks would have to meet the target.

It is fantastic news.

Zach over at electrek is disappointed because he thinks CA is legislating what will happen anyway due to market forces. I'm far from convinced that is the case.
I entirely agree with you. If California hadn't been pushing zero-emissions policy over the years, we wouldn't be as far along as we are now. Not by a long shot!