TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

California should have EV license plates - letter writing campaign

Discussion in 'California' started by Trnsl8r, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r Blue 85kwh since 12/8/12

Hi all,

I decided to write my state senator and assemblyperson to suggest that California get EV specific license plates, like Massachusetts and Hawaii, described in this blog post: Massachusetts will distribute happy little EV license plates

You can find out your district and representatives on this retro looking web site: http://192.234.213.69/smapsearch/framepage.asp

I wrote with the argument of eliminating the HOV stickers and informing emergency responders that it is not a gas powered vehicle.

What do you think?

2. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Been pushing it for years. There probably a thread here on TMC somewhere on it. Plug in America has tried on some levels.

Other suggestions have included a plate symbol to replace letter or number (plug or lightening bolt) and a special plate sticker. I like the plate idea best as we can retain our Vanity plates.

3. Trnsl8r

Or some sort of background image like the whale tail? Or plate stickers... Honestly, I'm OK with anything that gets me out of the fugly HOV stickers. There, hidden agenda revealed.

4. SByer

SByer '08 #383

Well, there's a reason some of us risk getting stopped by not putting the stickers in the 'right' place (which I never got an official document specifying, honestly, officer).

The sticker doesn't look quite so bad in the rear window, and it doesn't block my view one bit. I've been followed twice, and both times the officers have decided I wasn't worth it. (Though it's still at your own risk kind of thing).

I doubt the state would move away from the stickers, because the stickers can be more easily deprecated (like they did for the yellow - though they should make keeping the yellow stickers on illegal, IMO, just causes confusion - too close to the white).

(But then, one argument against the stickers is that they're too easy to forge - yeah, I once saw yellow stickers on a Crown Vic that was visibly not a conversion of any kind! Some people are shameless...)

5. agileone

agileone CDN P#40

6. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

7. mcornwell

mcornwell Active Member

The new green stickers that my wife received for her Volt have holograms on them, which should male it a little more difficult to fake...

8. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

A little OT idea: Considering how many Californians hate the front license plates, how about waiving that requirement for EVs? That would give EV adoption a push!

9. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Then only criminals would drive EVs!

:tongue:

10. Trnsl8r

I have no problem with front license plates (assuming TM figures out a better way to mount them on Model S than slab dab in the middle of nose cone, but that's a different topic). I just think an EV plate makes more sense than bumper stickers, with or without holograms.

11. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator