Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California Supercharging cost goes up by 20%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It might depend on the location.

Long ago, there were reports of price differences between locations that are just 2 miles apart here in Nor Cal: CHAdeMO Charging the Model 3.

There was an update at CHAdeMO Charging the Model 3. Another site opened up recently not far from these two: San Jose, CA - 925 Blossom Hill Road Supercharger | Tesla. I don't know the pricing at all 3 now since I have no Tesla.

Meanwhile, there are two SAE Combo and CHAdeMO chargers nearby that are only 19 cents per kWh. And, Electrify America is 31 cents/kWh if you pay $4/mo for Pass+ but you need to be able to charge either via SAE Combo or CHAdeMO.

Reactions: _Redshift_
in San Diego, residential rates during the day are around 55-65 cents per kwh... electricity is way too expensive. So, for Tesla to install the supercharger equipment and maintain it plus cover the electricity cost, their fees are actually in line with what folks ought to pay. The problem is California, not really Tesla
Just wondering, what are the rates at night?

Depending on the network, your location and charging habits, you could pretty easily save $6 per charging session ($0.12 difference, 50 kWh per session). 50 charging sessions to recover a $300 investment. If you didn’t have home charging and/or you take a lot of road trips, you could do this in a year, which is a pretty decent return on investment.

That said, I expect some of the main non-Tesla networks to increase their prices in the near future. Nonetheless, it’s nice to have more charging options, regardless of price.

Reactions: LoudMusic
Getting a CCS adapter to save on the per kWh charge seems like folly - given the incremental Savings vs a Tesla supercharger. If a ccs charger is more convenient, then that’s a good reason.
You are missing the point.

By having the choice to charge elsewhere, you are forcing Tesla to price its Supercharger rates competitively.

It's why Tesla still hasn't launched the CCS adapter in NA.

You are missing the point.

By having the choice to charge elsewhere, you are forcing Tesla to price its Supercharger rates competitively.

It's why Tesla still hasn't launched the CCS adapter in NA.
Some of the California rates at TOU locations went from $0.48/$0.24 to $0.58/$0.29. Kettleman City is not TOU but that location went to $0.45.

It's not just California where I see supercharging rate increases. I noticed that the rates in Minnesota went from $0.35/kWh to $0.41/kWh. This is the fourth rate hike I have seen since I took delivery in May 2021: from $0.28 to $0.31 in August 2021, then to $0.33 in December 2021, then to $0.35 in mid-April 2022, now to $0.41 just a month later.

Wisconsin also saw a price hike: low tier is now about $0.22 a minute.

Now that I have the CCS adapter in hand, I am adjusting charging strategy on road trips. Trips between Minneapolis and Chicago, for instance, will primarily use EA chargers, because the pricing is much better. At this rate, when EA opens up more locations in Minnesota, I will recoup the $318.50 pretty quickly.

Didn't Elon say that the superchargers were not intended to be a profit center?

Some of the California rates at TOU locations went from $0.48/$0.24 to $0.58/$0.29. Kettleman City is not TOU but that location went to $0.45.

It's not just California where I see supercharging rate increases. I noticed that the rates in Minnesota went from $0.35/kWh to $0.41/kWh. This is the fourth rate hike I have seen since I took delivery in May 2021: from $0.28 to $0.31 in August 2021, then to $0.33 in December 2021, then to $0.35 in mid-April 2022, now to $0.41 just a month later.

Wisconsin also saw a price hike: low tier is now about $0.22 a minute.

Now that I have the CCS adapter in hand, I am adjusting charging strategy on road trips. Trips between Minneapolis and Chicago, for instance, will primarily use EA chargers, because the pricing is much better. At this rate, when EA opens up more locations in Minnesota, I will recoup the $318.50 pretty quickly.

Didn't Elon say that the superchargers were not intended to be a profit center?
LOL, and you believe him?

There's a reason he's the wealthiest person on Earth.

I would happily pay the increased cost if the parking spaces were:
  • Covered (solar panels!). Gas stations are covered and you're only there a few minutes.
  • Short walk from food or actually in a restaurant parking lot
  • CLEAN. Filthy gas stations is one of the reason I got away from that life. Now it's following me to EV life.
I understand they can't all be Gridserve stations, but I'd say more than half the 100+ Supercharger locations I've been to are pretty dismal.

I charge at home so road trips are my only DCFC usage. So long as it's cheaper than petrol and a better user experience than petrol stations I think I'm good to go.