Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California Supercharging cost goes up by 20%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just checked a bunch of SC locations in California in my car just now. Looks like the rates were only bumped to 58 cents / kWh in SoCal, starting at Santa Clarita going south. Tejon Ranch and the ones further north are still the old rates
Do the rates go down at night (off hours) or do they stay 58 cents 24x7 ?

I didn't check all of them, but I checked the ones near my brother in Los Angeles, and a few near my sister near San Diego. Those were 58 cents from 11am to 9 pm and 29 cents from 9 pm to 11 am.
Interesting.

I did not even notice until I read this thread, but the price in UT has also gone up. Salt Lake City is 48 cents peak (11AM - 7PM) and 24 cents off peak.

Most of Utah outside of SLC is 44 cents 24x7.

• Informative
Reactions: 1100MCM
I just checked a bunch of SC locations in California in my car just now. Looks like the rates were only bumped to 58 cents / kWh in SoCal, starting at Santa Clarita going south. Tejon Ranch and the ones further north are still the old rates
I just checked a bunch more in preparation for my roadtrip... The ones along the I-5 corridor north of Santa Clarita look to be the old rates, but the ones in urban areas, like along the 280 near San Jose are 58 cents / kWh. Tho I did see a 72kW SC near SJ that was still 29 cents / kWh, but that looked to be an outlier.

Some of the California rates at TOU locations went from $0.48/$0.24 to $0.58/$0.29. Kettleman City is not TOU but that location went to $0.45.

It's not just California where I see supercharging rate increases. I noticed that the rates in Minnesota went from $0.35/kWh to $0.41/kWh. This is the fourth rate hike I have seen since I took delivery in May 2021: from $0.28 to $0.31 in August 2021, then to $0.33 in December 2021, then to $0.35 in mid-April 2022, now to $0.41 just a month later.

Wisconsin also saw a price hike: low tier is now about $0.22 a minute.

Now that I have the CCS adapter in hand, I am adjusting charging strategy on road trips. Trips between Minneapolis and Chicago, for instance, will primarily use EA chargers, because the pricing is much better. At this rate, when EA opens up more locations in Minnesota, I will recoup the $318.50 pretty quickly.

Didn't Elon say that the superchargers were not intended to be a profit center?
It's not a profit center, just like the service centers are not. If you look at the overall finances of superchargers (including installation costs) they are still huge money losers. Tesla's making money on the car sales.

The price hikes are in line with electricity price hikes and I doubt they will turn superchargers into a profitable venture (especially given continual expansion costs and Tesla still building high stall count stations). Note a high cost service may not necessarily be profitable.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Not sure why this is a surprise, esp in CA. The cost of power generation has increased because of a combo of drought (lack of hydro) which means we have to generate power using other methods whether gas or coal, world factors, general inflation. My home power bill has increased over 20%. I'm sure Tesla doesn't have any part in that. This is coming from somebody who doesn't think Tesla has our best interests at heart.

I just checked a bunch more in preparation for my roadtrip... The ones along the I-5 corridor north of Santa Clarita look to be the old rates, but the ones in urban areas, like along the 280 near San Jose are 58 cents / kWh. Tho I did see a 72kW SC near SJ that was still 29 cents / kWh, but that looked to be an outlier.
North of Santa Clarita also saw rate increases to the tune of 20-30 percent. Tejon, KC, Firebaugh, Patterson, and others went up quite a bit. Urban areas obviously went up as you state above. This time neighboring states weren't spared. Oregon, Arizona, Utah, and Nevada aren't much different price wise from California: there's plenty of stations well in the 40's cent/kWh range with a handful of stations in the 30's cent/kWh in selected areas.

Lesson is that at 58 cents/kWh, if you're driving somewhat aggressively and averaging 350 Wh/mi then that is the equivalent of a 25 MPG car paying for $5/gal gas or a 30 MPG car paying for $6/gal gas. Even with home charging, the cost gap for fueling between gas and electric cars is slowly eroding away to where there really is none now for quite a bit of drivers.

I got a chance to talk to someone who just took delivery of a Rivian truck recently here in Minnesota. His plan is to get his home charging under a second meter to take advantage of TOU rates for home charging; with taxes and surcharges, it works out to about 8 to 9 cents per kilowatt hour during off peak hours (per Xcel’s tariff, before 9am, after 9pm, and all day on weekends).

Lesson is that at 58 cents/kWh, if you're driving somewhat aggressively and averaging 350 Wh/mi then that is the equivalent of a 25 MPG car paying for $5/gal gas or a 30 MPG car paying for $6/gal gas. Even with home charging, the cost gap for fueling between gas and electric cars is slowly eroding away to where there really is none now for quite a bit of drivers.
That's why I'm toying with the idea of paying $4 for Electrify America, to get the $0.31/kWh rate for my roadtrip to California.

You are lucky. Here in London prices have doubled overnight. From .27 to .58 in all locations but one, which I am quite sure will increase soon.

Even with the crazy petrol/diesel prices we have over here, it is cheaper to drive an ICE than electric...

in San Diego, residential rates during the day are around 55-65 cents per kwh... electricity is way too expensive. So, for Tesla to install the supercharger equipment and maintain it plus cover the electricity cost, their fees are actually in line with what folks ought to pay. The problem is California, not really Tesla
This is incorrect. I live in rural American and travel through South Dakota and Wyoming frequently. What used to cost .28/min is now now nearly a 1.00/minute. I cannot wait for a CCS adaptor as Electrify America only costs .35/minute. The costs from Tesla at super chargers is outrageous.

Attachments

• 0FBB3EFA-5AB1-413A-B2F9-5C04CF1E95AE.jpeg
    0FBB3EFA-5AB1-413A-B2F9-5C04CF1E95AE.jpeg
    159.8 KB · Views: 88
This is incorrect. I live in rural American and travel through South Dakota and Wyoming frequently. What used to cost .28/min is now now nearly a 1.00/minute. I cannot wait for a CCS adaptor as Electrify America only costs .35/minute. The costs from Tesla at super chargers is outrageous.
If you really want one now you can buy it from a Forwarding Service in Korea. I bought one last week and it works great.

More details in the South Korea CCS1 thread. CCS1 Tesla Adapter

Per PlugShare, there are not many CCS fast chargers in South Dakota or Wyoming, yet.