Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California supercharging prices = $6.74 per "gallon" - me do math wrong?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Financialy, EVs don't really make sense unless you make your own energy (unless your electric rates are sub .10c/kw)
My leveled cost of electricity is .02c/ kw with my solar, but I did it myself.
I think it's kind of a crock the Tesla still boasts that an ev reduces net cost of ownership due to no gas to new buyers. Thats true only if you factor in another 20k for a solar array.

I was going to disagree then read if not sub 10 cents. The actual rate of what makes sense will vary a lot depending on individual situations. But in my case 10 cents was sort of the magic threshold for me combined with the fact that I save and additional $100 or per month on the rest of my electricity usage with EV-A(PG&E) since my entire house usage is on the EV rate.

That $100 savings is enough to drive my MS over 3K miles a month and have the same eletric bill I would have had before I bought the car so getting on that rate is like getting 3K miles a month of free fueling. Between that and supercharging, 200K miles in a car that has the power of similar cars that only get 20 MPG will save $30K alone in gas assuming I had to buy premium fuel for a 500+ hp ICE car equivalent over the same 200K miles.

We are fairly heavy energy users. Service is from SCE
Long before we had a Tesla we did what seemed like a no brainer given our usage
We went from the standard SCE plan to a TOU plan. Specifically, TOU-B. We have saved money without much change in the way we use energy. TOU-B has about a $15 surcharge per month. They also have TOU-A which has almost no surcharge. But if you use a lot of energy, ( like north of 700 kW h per month ), plan B is vastly superior
The highest rate is the time when you should try to use less energy ( 2-10 pm weekdays ).That said, we didn't alter our use as much as we can and have still saved money over the previous plan in every month for 2 years. Ballpark savings $600/year. Our best rate is .13 or .14 depending on time of year.
When we got a Tesla we looked at SCE EV plans and determined it was best for us to stick with TOU-B

Financialy, EVs don't really make sense unless you make your own energy (unless your electric rates are sub .10c/kw)
I think it's kind of a crock the Tesla still boasts that an ev reduces net cost of ownership due to no gas to new buyers. Thats true only if you factor in another 20k for a solar array.

Huh? My electric rates for when I charge my car are $0.125/kwh. Even if you compare that against a 50mpg ICE car, that's the equivalent of $1.80/gallon($0.125/kwh * 60kwh battery = $7.5 for a full charge giving 208 EPA-rated miles. $7.50 / 208 miles = $0.036/mile. $0.036/mile * 50miles/gallon = $1.80/gallon). Current gas prices here are around $3.00/gallon.

I'll stick with my unlimited free for life supercharging MS thank you ;)

We're about to take another long trip, this time to Springfield, MO from California. We'll save about $250 vs an MS that has to pay for SC.
Obviously long distance traveling by car was the norm for families back in the dark ages when I grew up, but the availabilty of cheap and widely available air transportation has really changed things. I'm glad my 2016 S has free SC but am not at all concerned that my 3 will not. (Of course, it helps that my wife works for an airline!)

Sure am glad I live in the Republic of Arizona rather than the United States of Trump with its average $.20/kWh rates. I pay $.07-.08 depending on Winter vs Summer -- and as long as I avoid higher cost hours of 3-6pm, which is easy. (Much cheaper EV rates are also available, but have more restrictions re time of use that I don't want to deal with.) My hybrid gets about 46-47 mpg and current gasoline prices are slightly over $2/gal. To travel the same distance in my S costs about half as much.

Are you taking into account both "supply" and "delivery" charges?? My supply charges are about 9c/kwh, and delivery charges are about 9c/kwh, for ~18c/kwh - check out your electric bill details

Last edited:
@MarcusMaximus - true, but my point is about the pricing of the energy equivalent. Tesla has a monopoly on "gas stations" - and their California pricing out-the-gate is more than double the price of actual gas - reducing the financial gain of the efficiency to the end user by 50%. mpge is only a useful metric to the paying end user if electric fuel can obtained at equivalent prices as gasoline.

This is incorrect . Running a Model S on electricity is a lot cheaper than gas, even cheaper than running a small 4-cylinder Honda when gas is over ~$2/gallon

Obviously long distance traveling by car was the norm for families back in the dark ages when I grew up, but the availabilty of cheap and widely available air transportation has really changed things. I'm glad my 2016 S has free SC but am not at all concerned that my 3 will not. (Of course, it helps that my wife works for an airline!)
My wife and I are taking a 1000 mile drive (each way) this summer to Lake Tahoe. This will be the second time in our lives that we have driven anywhere more than ~ 300 miles from home. Every other long distance travel has been by plane.

So like you, I find the change to SC terms to be the least of my concerns.

Well, since my electricity is $0.06/KWh, I guess I meet your criteria.

My wife and I are taking a 1000 mile drive (each way) this summer to Lake Tahoe. This will be the second time in our lives that we have driven anywhere more than ~ 300 miles from home. Every other long distance travel has been by plane.

So like you, I find the change to SC terms to be the least of my concerns.
Similar here - I haven't taken a car trip over 500 miles round trip in at least six years, and I didn't drive for that one, I just rode in the car with others. Anything longer than that and a flight just is better, even though the security theater has been trying their best to ruin the experience.

Are you taking into account both "supply" and "delivery" charges?? My supply charges are about 9c/kwh, and delivery charges are about 9c/kwh, for ~18c/kwh - check out your electric bill details
We don't have a split charge like that. We do pay a $20 a month service fee but that is a fee everyone pays, even people who walk everywhere so it doesn't make sense to add that onto the cost of charging the car. Your rates are more than double ours, but I'm not surprised. Of course we use a ton of electricity in the Summer, mostly AC

We don't have a split charge like that. We do pay a $20 a month service fee but that is a fee everyone pays, even people who walk everywhere so it doesn't make sense to add that onto the cost of charging the car.
Then you have no basis for comparison. The best you can do is divide the 2000 cents into your average consumption and add that to the kwh charge.

I pay $34 a month connection fee and use about 200 kWh. Each kWh is 9 cents but my total, per kWh charge works out to about 26 cents. If I consumed more energy my per kWh cost would drop and eventually approach 9 cents.

As an aside, this arrangement seems perverse because it encourages waste. After all, the marginal cost is cheap. Nothing is simple when it comes to the utilities though, and although I live in Repub Redneck land where trumpism is a rampant disease, my utility has no problems with me net metering my PV because the 9 cents per kwh is a passthrough charge they do not profit from; they live and prosper on connection fees

California figured this out too: they split out generation from delivery charges and are therefore mostly energy source neutral.