Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California supercharging prices = $6.74 per "gallon" - me do math wrong?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So mpge has been covered, but the other side to this is that the 33.7kWh inside a gallon of gas is not 33.7kWh of ELECTRICITY. It's 33.7kWh of ENERGY.

There isn't a known process on the planet that can extract much more than about 16kWh of electricity out of it.

The ICE engine is a special case of this, but its not like Tesla can buy a gallon of gas for $3.00, run it through some magical power plant and get 33.7kWh of electricity that they can sell to you at $6.00. They will at most be able to harvest half of it ... which is what the market price for electricity is based on.

But why would you? The only consideration that matters is: how much more is my electricity bill if I regularly charge my car vs if I had an ICE car?

That's the real operating cost of it.
An analogy would be EV cost. Say the manufacturer charges $35k and the gov forks out a $5k rebate. How much does the car cost ? You are probably tempted to say $30k ... until you get your tax bill.

...Between that and supercharging, 200K miles in a car that has the power of similar cars that only get 20 MPG will save $30K alone in gas assuming I had to buy premium fuel for a 500+ hp ICE car equivalent over the same 200K miles.
Which is exactly what I was doing - only my SUV and sedan weren't getting 20 mpg - they were getting 14 mpg on 91 octane at California prices. Ouch...

Reactions: sorka