Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California Tade-in TAX Credit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, in other states (WA) if you trade thru a "auto dealer" (which Tesla is) you only pay sales tax on the difference.

Found this from google: California, Hawaii, Kentucky, Maryland, Montana or Washington, D.C., you'll pay sales tax on the full price of the new vehicle, regardless of your trade-in allowance. Michigan changed its law in 2013 to exempt the first $2,000 of a trade-in from sales tax. The exemption will grow by $500 per year until it reaches $14,000.

Be aware that sales tax rate varies depending on the city / county you take delivery in. We live in Orange County and took delivery at the Costa Mesa delivery center which saved us a bunch of money on our Aug 2015 delivery inventory 2015 P85D vs. delivery at the Tesla factory or L.A. County.

To my knowledge this isn't true, never has been for any of the many cars I've purchased in CA, including the MS I picked up at the factory last month.

Sales/use tax for a car purchase in CA is based on the zip code where the car is registered, not where it's sold/delivered.