TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

California Tax Credit Email

Discussion in 'Model X' started by flyhigh123, Oct 22, 2015.

1. flyhigh123

flyhigh123 Member

Just got an email from Tesla stating the California 2,500 tax credit is changing next year...

Dah, i hope i can get the X before it changes... it could potentially mean i'm paying up to $2,500 more now.... Anyone know the specifics?

2. vangogh

vangogh Member

I read somewhere the $2500 California incentive was being phased out for high income earners starting 7/1/15....Delays are expensive in more ways than one...

3. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

#3 Merrill, Oct 22, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
    It is not a tax credit but a refund and they are transferring funds for 2015-2016 and there will be a high income cap, filing joint up to 500k.

4. siucity

siucity Button Pusher

Taken from the link:

5. engle

engle Member

July 1st begins Taxifornia's fiscal year. IMHO, the email we received from Tesla marketing was designed to encourage Model S orders from Californians sooner rather than later to keep the pipeline full. That's why there were no specifics about the new cap not coming into play unless a potential buyer's joint income >= $500K/year and it not going into effect until 7/1/2015.

6. P90D

P90D Member

The "tax" email is conventional marketing in the form of "compelling event."
    Imagine the same information presented as "please consult a tax professional to consider your 2015 tax return."
    If real information were conveyed to the consumer it would be "if you earn over $1200 per day, you won't care about the rebate, and you won't be getting it."

7. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Totally all marketing to sell more. As a shareholder...go for it.

8. smartypnz

smartypnz Member

Is it me.... Cuz when I read "going into effect July 1 2015". I kind of figure it's in effect?

9. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

California is just like Tesla, they have not completely done all the stuff they need to do to have it go into effect. On the CARB web site it says this will go into effect 4 to 6 months from the approval date.

10. liuping

liuping Active Member

#10 liuping, Oct 24, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
    It may be partly marketing, but since they have listed the $2500 credit on their website, it's important to let people know it may no long apply to them.

11. liuping

liuping Active Member

#11 liuping, Oct 24, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2015

If you were expecting to get $2500 back from California, and found out after you bought the car that you don't qualify, you be pretty angry.