TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

California teslas and HOV lane free?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by jlucero, Oct 22, 2015.

1. jlucero

jlucero Member

is this still the case? i heard it wasnt, or was limited to people who got the permits? any details?

2. shokunin

shokunin P85 & S40

Still need to apply to get the HOV decals, but they are still available.

3. msnow

msnow Active Member

I think the fee is $8.00.

4. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

EV permits are available until 2019 with no limits. There is a one-time free for the processing and issuance of the sticker.

In some parts of the state where the HOV was co-opted into Express Lanes, travel may be gratis or discounted, depending on the route (county) etc... Regular Toll Roads are at prevailing rates.

5. Mark Z

Mark Z Active Member

If you drive the 91 Express Lanes, then don't miss the FREE or 50% discount M-F, eastbound between 4-6 PM offer for ZEVs. You must download this form: https://www.91expresslanes.com/pdf/specapp.pdf

More info: https://www.91expresslanes.com/signup.asp

On all other FasTrak toll roads and toll bridges, a full rate is charged. There are NO monthly fees for ZEV if you have the 91 Express Lanes pass. You can use the 91 Express Lanes FasTrak pass on The Toll Roads.

The small print: If you drive a pure zero-emission vehicle (100% battery electric or hydrogen fuel cell), you may be eligible for a Special Access Account. Special Access Accounts are available for customers who always drive with three or more people in their vehicle, drive a motorcycle, a pure zero emission vehicle as certified by the California Air Resources Board, or have a disabled veteran or disabled person license plate issued by the DMV. If you think you qualify, go to www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/carpool/carpool.htm for list of qualifying vehicles that has exhaust standard of ZEV.

Obtaining a FasTrak pass through The Toll Roads has NO ZEV discount. TheTollRoads.com | Sign Up for An Account

6. Caligula

Caligula Member

Really, really dont want to put those stickers on my car though...

7. eclipxe

eclipxe Member

Don't put them on but have them in the glove box. If you get pulled over show the cop and see if you get let off with a warning. I think most cops recognize Teslas can use the carpool lane. Maybe not so much in SoCal but in NorCal it was 70% of the drivers in car pool and maybe half didn't have stickers.

8. jlucero

jlucero Member

9. JenniferQ

JenniferQ Member

10. russman

russman Member

I have seen Tesla's pulled over without the sticker.

11. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

#11 FlatSix911, Oct 22, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
    Correct, CHP will issue a ticket if the sticker is not affixed to the car ... not in the glove box.

12. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

13. Leland

Leland Member

#14 Leland, Oct 23, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
    The fine is $238 in Riverside County.

14. jlucero

jlucero Member

15. Caligula

Caligula Member

But the question is... is it still a fine? I mean it's illegal for me to drive w/o insurance however if I get a ticket for not having my proof of insurance be with me (and I am insured) I can simply show proof to the court and have the ticket dismissed. Is this not the case here?

16. steph280

steph280 Member

The sticker does look ugly. We put the small one on the rear plastic apron like AEDennis did.

When you apply for the free 91Expressway Fastrak, ask for the one with 3 position switch, so you can also use it for free on the 10 and 110 express lanes. By default they send you the standard one.

Now with Fastrak there is also the issue that Tesla's windshield blocks the reader from reading it. The transponder doesn't beep and we get dinged the full rate. So now I have to open the moonroof and hold it above our head everytime we pass the reader station.

17. liuping

liuping Active Member

I put one on the back and passenger side on my first Model S, since it was pearl white is did not look too bad.

My new one is blue, and I can't bring myself to stick that ugly white sticker on the paint. I'm going to try just the one on the back in the plastic like you did.

18. JenniferQ

JenniferQ Member

Haha! They really believe in fines here, compared to Texas! Carpool violations can be upwards of $400! Really makes you think twice.

19. eclipxe

eclipxe Member

Is there a market for a removable plate that you could affix the sticker to? You could slap the plate on when you need it and remove it when done?