Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California, The Land That Time Forgot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone with a delivery appointment, but no VIN notice the appointment is gone and now back to "Estimated Delivery: x to x weeks from order placed date"? UGH.

I have a delivery date set for 12/30, got the call this morning that no car will be coming this year, never ever got a Vin and yet my appointment is still scheduled. I don’t think anyone really knows what’s going on.

Reactions: sacraM3nto
Santa Barbara opens at 10am (my appt time), and I was there around 0920 and they found someone that was there early and went ahead and let me take delivery early! the entire process compared to buying a normal car was amazingly fast and without a hitch. Found a few flaws (paint, surface scratch, warped aero cover, uneven interior upholstery). They swapped the aero cover and I have a service appt locally in a week. Was driving away before 10! Good luck everyone. I think besides traffic issues the location of taking delivery makes a difference, too.

Good luck everyone! on my way home north I5 i saw more Teslas. I lost count, and never did see a truckload of Nissan Leafs ;)

Attachments

• C4D2CEDE-5851-4508-AB5B-21B1C9E027BA.jpeg
    C4D2CEDE-5851-4508-AB5B-21B1C9E027BA.jpeg
    612.5 KB · Views: 76
finally another vin and mvpa this morning for a 12/29 delivery time. someone at Carlsbad Tesla called and left a message to confirm delivery for 12/29 but i missed the call. so when i called back a girl answered and said that the car will not be here in time for a 12/29 delivery date and is now pushed back til 12/30. so far i had a vin with mvpa and no date then they took that vin and mvpa away. got another vin, mvpa and schedule date and now that is being pushed back. man this is so frustrating with all these delays broken promises while others not living in California are having some and fast service. order date 10/31.

Try calling a store and talk to anyone. Have them locate the car. If it’s indeed there they can match you with a click or two and you’re ready for an appointment when they can fit you in.

Also, you can try the chat to get them to call you and have them locate the car by VIN.

Some inventory cars are preproduction VINs and not physically anywhere... yet

Thanks for the advice. Drove over to Buena Park since my calls weren't going through. They told me to go ahead and reserve the vehicle online ASAP. Got a call a few hours later to schedule delivery on the P3D.

Hopefully someone on the forums gets to pickup the Grey SR+ that was scheduled for me on Monday. Good luck all!

Santa Barbara opens at 10am (my appt time), and I was there around 0920 and they found someone that was there early and went ahead and let me take delivery early! the entire process compared to buying a normal car was amazingly fast and without a hitch. Found a few flaws (paint, surface scratch, warped aero cover, uneven interior upholstery). They swapped the aero cover and I have a service appt locally in a week. Was driving away before 10! Good luck everyone. I think besides traffic issues the location of taking delivery makes a difference, too.

Good luck everyone! on my way home north I5 i saw more Teslas. I lost count, and never did see a truckload of Nissan Leafs ;)
Nice! Picking mine up tomorrow at Santa Barbara Center as well! SR+ Blue/white interior 18in aero

I am so ready for this tax credit to go away and life to return to normal.
May be it was just me, but I actually didn't even know about that tax credit was still available until I visit the showroom (I also didn't care, it wasn't a buying decision for me). However, it was literally the first thing the sales associate brings up and pushing you to place an order on the spot -- they were "guaranteeing" delivery by EOY if you place an order "now" -- this was mid November.

I have no idea what kind of commission structure (if any) the sales associates are on, but all of these dissatisfactions could've been avoided with better customer expectation management + communication.

Production is very much predictable -- it's the bread and butter of any car manufacturer. Really hope they hire some people from Toyota soon if they haven't.

Reactions: AZjohnInCA
May be it was just me, but I actually didn't even know about that tax credit was still available until I visit the showroom (I also didn't care, it wasn't a buying decision for me). However, it was literally the first thing the sales associate brings up and pushing you to place an order on the spot -- they were "guaranteeing" delivery by EOY if you place an order "now" -- this was mid November.

I have no idea what kind of commission structure (if any) the sales associates are on, but all of these dissatisfactions could've been avoided with better customer expectation management + communication.

Production is very much predictable -- it's the bread and butter of any car manufacturer. Really hope they hire some people from Toyota soon if they haven't.

Welcome to the forums @Frocer and I'm sorry about your experience. For those of us who have been here for a while, what's happening is Tesla is at the end of the year push right now and customer service goes in the toilet as Tesla tries to finish the year by delivering as many cars as possible (at all costs). A couple weeks into the new year and you will likely see better results interacting with Tesla customer service.

Even if you miss out on the 1875 credit I would not be surprised if Tesla at least splits the difference on the tax credit by lowering prices slightly in Q1. Either way you'll be getting a Model 3 that's notably improved over the one many of us bought before you and still likely cheaper than we paid (with our credits).

Got my 3 today in Buena Park. LR awd white/white aero. Ordered 12/24... Lol jk. Ordered 10/26.

The process went smooth. Was in and out in 40 mins or so. I didn’t do the check list thing but gave it a good once over. Double checked everything at home and it looks great. The guy said they were doing 180 or so deliveries today and 250+ tomorrow.

The car is the truth. I haven’t felt a driving revelation since a e90 3 series with the hydraulic steering. The car is quick and the tech is amazing. Worth the wait.

Welp. Had a VIN and an appointment on 12/30. Logged into my account to see "Estimated Delivery: 4 - 7 weeks from order placed date."

Nary a phone call, text message, or email.
Same thing happened to me, but I didn’t have a VIN. I was scheduled to pick up tomorrow at 10am. It’s really hard to stay optimistic at this point.

i don't even see any inventory cars anymore... ><

They had a few Performance cars this morning but they sold out by around noon. Nothing in Southern California at this point.

I suspect a lot of people are taking cars they normally would never buy due to the frenzy of wanting to get the tax credit. It’s really not that much money any more. Legacy manufacturers often throw around $2K-$3K factory incentives to move vehicles and it doesn’t have nearly the traction that this tiny remaining tax credit is having. I think some people are losing sight of how small the credit is and buying Performance cars when they really wanted SR+, or buying colors they really don’t want, just to grab the tax credit.

They had a few Performance cars this morning but they sold out by around noon. Nothing in Southern California at this point.

I suspect a lot of people are taking cars they normally would never buy due to the frenzy of wanting to get the tax credit. It’s really not that much money any more. Legacy manufacturers often throw around $2K-$3K factory incentives to move vehicles and it doesn’t have nearly the traction that this tiny remaining tax credit is having. I think some people are losing sight of how small the credit is and buying Performance cars when they really wanted SR+, or buying colors they really don’t want, just to grab the tax credit.
Agree with most except I think Tesla played a big roll by saying that orders through the first week in Dec will get delivery by Dec 31.

I think this helped feed the fire that we are witnessing now (this screen shot taken Dec 4)
upload_2019-12-28_20-33-50.png

Welp. Had a VIN and an appointment on 12/30. Logged into my account to see "Estimated Delivery: 4 - 7 weeks from order placed date."

Nary a phone call, text message, or email.

Same situation. Had a VIN and delivery appointment for Carlsbad on 12/30. I just got a text saying they left a voicemail (they didn't) and that my car's production was being pushed to January. Very frustrating since the associate at the showroom was guarantying that my car would be delivered by EOY. I thought I wouldn't have to deal with the whole lying car salesmen trope but I'm not really in a rush so no harm.

Reactions: Ron Johnson
Agree with most except I think Tesla played a big roll by saying that orders through the first week in Dec will get delivery by Dec 31.

I think this helped feed the fire that we are witnessing now (this screen shot taken Dec 4)
View attachment 494008

No doubt they over promised and under delivered. But I think that somehow getting an $1,875 credit from the government is more appealing than just getting an $1,875 discount on the car from the manufacturer.

If Toyota offered an $1,875 discount on their Camry, which far outsells the Model 3, I don’t think anyone would even notice it right now.

Same situation. Had a VIN and delivery appointment for Carlsbad on 12/30. I just got a text saying they left a voicemail (they didn't) and that my car's production was being pushed to January. Very frustrating since the associate at the showroom was guarantying that my car would be delivered by EOY. I thought I wouldn't have to deal with the whole lying car salesmen trope but I'm not really in a rush so no harm.
I just received the exact same text, and no, they didn't leave a voicemail either. What a disappointing process it has been. The only positive is I don't need to obsessively check for VIN in source anymore.

I just received the exact same text, and no, they didn't leave a voicemail either. What a disappointing process it has been. The only positive is I don't need to obsessively check for VIN in source anymore.

wow... now they’re just texting, not even calling? When did you both order? And will they give you back the $100 deposit as well, like the previous people who got phone calls?

and I agree @OCR1 about telling cars they normally wouldn’t. If I can’t get mine by year end, then I will cancel and order most likely a LR AWD later in life. Hopefully when it isn’t so busy and they won’t be rushed in manufacturing it.