Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California, The Land That Time Forgot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honestly, this forum has been refreshed almost as often as our Tesla account during this last few weeks. What an insane process! But like reading everyone's experiences. I think it's worth remembering that even though they've been around for a while, we're still essentially participating in a startup-style business. My SA (Jared) in Santa Barbara has been as helpful as he possibly can be, but you can tell they're sort of making this up as they go and gotten used to things being...unique. That's the way I've been thinking about it, at least.

The upside of the wait has been that it's allowed us to actually consider whether we could do two electrics (e-golf+Tesla) with our 4 person family and hauling needs (I'm a working drummer) or if we needed/wanted to keep our ICE (CX-5). We went back and forth a million times, but we had enough real world practice of playing "what if" that we eventually settled on selling the golf BUT upgrading our solar to provide the infrastructure for two EVs so that when the Model Y is available we'll be ready. Or maybe, like many others have pointed out, they'll be great competition in that CUV space (or station wagon, my favorite body style) -- that's all a decision we're going to make in 2021/2022.

Anyway, no source VIN. I've gotten the text and email. I'm trying to take a road trip to Phoenix on 12/26 for my cousin's wedding. Wished I'd had the cajones to black out every date after that and "force" the delivery sooner, but I didn't, just blacked out those couple of days I'll be gone in Phoenix.

Ordered SR+ on a lease: 10/25
changed our mind and modified to LR on a loan: 11/1
VIN: null
email: 12/17
text:12/18*
LR White Aero 19" Black Int
No FSD

Reactions: ZappCatt
Honestly, this forum has been refreshed almost as often as our Tesla account during this last few weeks. What an insane process! But like reading everyone's experiences. I think it's worth remembering that even though they've been around for a while, we're still essentially participating in a startup-style business. My SA (Jared) in Santa Barbara has been as helpful as he possibly can be, but you can tell they're sort of making this up as they go and gotten used to things being...unique. That's the way I've been thinking about it, at least.

The upside of the wait has been that it's allowed us to actually consider whether we could do two electrics (e-golf+Tesla) with our 4 person family and hauling needs (I'm a working drummer) or if we needed/wanted to keep our ICE (CX-5). We went back and forth a million times, but we had enough real world practice of playing "what if" that we eventually settled on selling the golf BUT upgrading our solar to provide the infrastructure for two EVs so that when the Model Y is available we'll be ready. Or maybe, like many others have pointed out, they'll be great competition in that CUV space (or station wagon, my favorite body style) -- that's all a decision we're going to make in 2021/2022.

Anyway, no source VIN. I've gotten the text and email. I'm trying to take a road trip to Phoenix on 12/26 for my cousin's wedding. Wished I'd had the cajones to black out every date after that and "force" the delivery sooner, but I didn't, just blacked out those couple of days I'll be gone in Phoenix.

Ordered SR+ on a lease: 10/25
changed our mind and modified to LR on a loan: 11/1
VIN: null
email: 12/17
text:12/18*
LR White Aero 19" Black Int
No FSD

I had been waiting since November for my SR+ order. Yesterday I went to the factory sales center and ordered that exact same LR AWD spec from inventory. The VIN showed up in my account immediately. They still have some left.

Reactions: AZjohnInCA
Just got called by Fremont factory to schedule delivery. Would have had it tonight, but too busy at work today to make it home for 4-6 window, so tomorrow 10-12 home delivery in San Jose. I asked if I could do factory pickup tonight, but they said they weren't scheduling factory pickups for people who were close enough for home deliveries (seems weird).

10/26 SR+ White/Black, no upgrades. Vin in source this morning, didn't appear on m my main page until after I got off the phone scheduling delivery. The guy said my car was just finished at about 10am today, so fingers crossed for the rest of the Bay Area crowd!

Did a chat with Tesla to try to get information and to see again if I could be paired with an inventory vehicle. Was told I'd get a call back from delivery team within an hour. Instead of a call, I got this text: "We received your chat inquiry about a delivery ETA. We are not able to determine a specific delivery date at this time but the goal is to have your model 3 delivered as soon as possible. Once our system matches you to a VIN we are able to track the location of your vehicle. As soon as the VIN is assigned we will reach out to coordinate a delivery appointment." So I still have no VIN and no information except to wait along with everyone else. Given they haven't fulfilled a bunch of October orders yet I'm getting very worried about their promises about end of year -- Tesla appears to like to over-commit and under-deliver.

Reactions: jonquiljo
I feel like I’m noticing that more NorCal orders are being filled and tbh no SoCal regardless of order date. I haven’t heard a thing from my SA and I’m scared to call her bc I feel as a 11/30 order I should just be patient.

Also worth noting: when checking the source on my iPhone (safari), it contained way more information (delivery center, loan info, insurance). Checking it on my desktop using chrome still shows the dreaded vin: null :(

Reactions: sslack18
Did a chat with Tesla to try to get information and to see again if I could be paired with an inventory vehicle. Was told I'd get a call back from delivery team within an hour. Instead of a call, I got this text: "We received your chat inquiry about a delivery ETA. We are not able to determine a specific delivery date at this time but the goal is to have your model 3 delivered as soon as possible. Once our system matches you to a VIN we are able to track the location of your vehicle. As soon as the VIN is assigned we will reach out to coordinate a delivery appointment." So I still have no VIN and no information except to wait along with everyone else. Given they haven't fulfilled a bunch of October orders yet I'm getting very worried about their promises about end of year -- Tesla appears to like to over-commit and under-deliver.
Tried the same thing a couple days ago and go the same text :(

Just dropped by the Dublin CA (East SF) facility (making sure everything was good for my delivery tomorrow).

Was pretty chill overall, maybe 3 or 4 customers in the showroom. Didn't seem to crazy inside.

The guy in the front said they are doing about 60 deliveries a day right now with that expected to break 100/day as next week rolls along.

Parking lot was stuffed with cars in various states of prep with another 3 car carriers being unloaded. All of the "display models" parked out front (3 or 4) were white ModelXs, lots of activity outside.

They had also emptied all the cars off the showroom floor and replaced it with the small high tables you might see at a social function, maybe to us used for delivery appointments?

Reactions: sslack18