Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California, The Land That Time Forgot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't get it. hmmm. No one promises what order you will get your car in. Not first come first served for various reasons. Did anyone get that told them by Tesla? Tesla doesn't guarantee a deliver date either, just told people they will get it before YE. And I'm sorry but "F U" posted by the person isn't really approriate here regardless of how slighted people feel. No one is saying that Tesla's communication is perfect. I don't need to apologize for the company and don't like being referred to as a fanboi or apologist as some have tagged me in posts with. It's not important if people agree with me or not, but explaining the process that has been in place by Tesla and that people will get their cars is something that has beared out across end of quarters. When people understand the bigger picture some are more understanding and less freaked out that they aren't in constant communication with Tesla. No one at Tesla told people to search through secret code for VINs. That was spread by people here and created a frenzy. When the car you ordered is ready they will communicate with you. People have come to expect constant tracking of everything they order. Don't see the point in getting all worked up before delivery before the end of the year. There are people who have posted they never contacted Tesla after their order was placed, and recently got contacted for setting up a delivery and then got their car. Don't see the point in getting everyone here upset when as you can see the delivery dates are being set and people are getting their car before 12/31.

Do people waiting for an ICE car being transferred from one dealership to another across country express things the same way. I guess I've never known people to do that.
Actually something saying delivery in * to * weeks on everyone’s account IS Tesla guaranteeing that.

Reactions: Callawayc7
Got my car today.

Delivery experience in Burbank was...borderline psychotic. Just too many folks, too many cars, not enough employees, a fair amount of chaos. Once I got some attention, things were cool. However, my car has two issues:

1) A panel gap/non-flush issue with the drivers rear door, so I got that noted on the virtual "due bill" they were putting together for me. They thought it would be easily correctable.

2) Lots of light scratches to the clear coat on the front of the car: hood, fascia, left fender, etc. Like an extraordinary amount of scattered stuff...more like abrasions and fine lines etched into the clear, probably from transport. Anyway, they did a due bill item for me on that which was for a very deep full detail/paint correction. I was glad to hear that, but I asked them more pointedly: what do you do for me if the detail DOESN'T correct this stuff? They said that "it will", but in the event it doesn't, we'll escalate from there and do painting/panel replacement. So that seems ok...was promised all this via one of the service managers. I hope I did the right thing in accepting the car. :( It felt sort of borderline. Otherwise, my 3 is fine in every other respect I could examine, right on down the checklist.

A good paint correction can definitely fix surface scratches in the clear coat. Unfortunately Tesla does more damage than good to their cars when they apply a wax coat to them to prep them for delivery. They use buffers to apply the wax and often create scratches and swirl marks in doing so.

I’m curious if they are sending your car to a third party for paint correction or doing it in house? I don’t think Tesla has the expertise to do a real paint correction at their service center. At least I’ve never heard of that happening. The place I used is in Signal Hill and they did a great job.

Reactions: davidw76
@SMAlset

Those with the vitriolic hatred of Tesla can go to a GM dealership and pick up a Bolt.

You get red carpet service when you have five sales people setting around with tons of Bolts on the lot because they aren’t Tesla’s.

I’m sure they can take delivery in an hour. Depends how fast they get past finance and the upholstery cream up sells.

People need perspective. I too am waiting for a year end vehicle.

Concerned, yes. Telling a swamped organization to F off - no.

You're accusing someone who has literally ordered a Tesla of having "vitriolic hatred for Tesla". Just stop and think about that for a moment.

Everyone here is is willing to pay a lot of money to own a Tesla.

A good paint correction can definitely fix surface scratches in the clear coat. Unfortunately Tesla does more damage than good to their cars when they apply a wax coat to them to prep them for delivery. They use buffers to apply the wax and often create scratches and swirl marks in doing so.

I’m curious if they are sending your car to a third party for paint correction or doing it in house? I don’t think Tesla has the expertise to do a real paint correction at their service center. At least I’ve never heard of that happening. The place I used is in Signal Hill and they did a great job.

OCR1, thanks for the wise perspective. Yikes re: waxing with buffers, good lord. They have someone in Burbank, but the way they framed it, it was a separate detail person who's going to clay, cut it, multi-stage polish, etc. Couldn't tell if this was "in house" or mobile service they use, or what. They seemed relaxed and confident, but were also keenly aware of the magnitude of all these micro-scratches, swirls, scuffs, etc. Alexis, one of the service managers, has commissioned many paint corrections there, and so she feels good about all the things we found being fixable. So for now, I'm choosing to do this on faith. I'm nervous, but we'll see what happens. I pray I didn't make the wrong decision here to accept the car. :(

I can confirm, at least at the Carlsbad location that paint defects are sent to a 3rd party company to resolve, per the Service Manager.

:D:D
Anybody has any experience with home delivery? Pretty unlikely that delivery person will stay long enough for me to take a good look at the car.
Yep, got a call day before our deliveries and they stresses delivery driver could only stay 15 min before Uber picked them up.

I knew I could call in any defects I found after delivery person left so wasn’t concerned. I’m also not one that is going to look that deep into inspecting the car.

Yes, I’m the kind of guy that walks around the car, kick the tires, and then says “looks good”:D:p

Actually something saying delivery in * to * weeks on everyone’s account IS Tesla guaranteeing that.

Are you sure Tesla has said Guarantee, which I seriously doubt they have ever used that terminology, or instead used the word Estimated or some form like that. This was screen grab from 3rd Q 2018 and says "~ or about" on the order page.

Delivery time - 1.jpg

From 2019, "estimated'" used on the order page

Delivery time - 2.jpg

The closest I've seen Tesla come to something like that would be when they said if you ordered by X date, they would get your car to you by the end of the year.

Reactions: sslack18 and kinito
:D:D
Yep, got a call day before our deliveries and they stresses delivery driver could only stay 15 min before Uber picked them up.

I knew I could call in any defects I found after delivery person left so wasn’t concerned. I’m also not one that is going to look that deep into inspecting the car.

Yes, I’m the kind of guy that walks around the car, kick the tires, and then says “looks good”:D:p
LOL That's exactly what I did during delivery. She never offered me to inspect the car so I had to ask her "Mind if I inspect the car real quick?" she said sure. I stepped out from the driver seat, walked around the car once, "doo doo doo doo" rubbed some of the chrome for panel gaps real quick and said "looks good!... thanks! hehe!"

Last edited:
Hi, first timer here.

Ordered the following on 11/27 at Buena Park:
  • Model 3 LR AWD
  • Midnight Silver Metallic Exterior
  • Black Interior
  • Aero Wheels
  • No FSD
I got the text to schedule delivery on Sunday, 12/22 for this upcoming Friday, 12/27 and mentioned that my car would be leaving the factory on 12/26. I have yet to find a VIN or receive the MVPA. Should I be worried?

Update: I’ve got a VIN and option to pay amount due on signing online now!

MSM SR+ with no FSD at Santa Barbara
Ordered: 11/25
Delivery Appt text: 12/22
Tesla bday: 12/27
Tesla delivery appt: 12/29
VIN in source: 12/25

Got mine today too

LR AWD
Midnight Silver
Black Interior
Aero Wheels
No FSD

Tesla delivery appt: 12/28 in Santa Barbara

Will need to reschedule it because I work Fri/Sat/Sun so hopefully they will let me do Monday

I did an insurance quote and it beat every other place by at least $300 a year with twice as good coverage. So looks like I'll grab the Tesla insurance too.

This debate has been going on for years. Say something good about Tesla and your a fanboy. Say something bad and your a troll. It’s just getting silly and pointless.

Most of us are here because we love the vehicles that Tesla builds, while we acknowledge the company is struggling with growing pains and has not figured out how to provide consistently good customer service. And most of us would have gladly looked at a competitor to Tesla if another company built a car as good as the Model 3 but provided better service.

But that doesn’t exist for now, so we own Teslas. If that should change some day, I will certainly look at Tesla competitors before buying my next EV.

Last edited:
View attachment 492718 Woah this forum got a little crazy yesterday. Anyways took delivery of my MP3 yesterday. Process was easy and fast at Carlsbad DC. In love with the car. This is my first EV car so driving it feels so different! I hope everyone gets their cars before the EOY as promised by Tesla. Merry Christmas everyone. View attachment 492718

Why do some cars have a bow and others don't?

Why do some cars have a bow and others don't?

Probably arranged by the car’s new owner or family member a head of time. Those huge bows aren’t cheap either. There was a thread on TMC awhile ago about someone wanting to surprise their spouse with a bow on their car and asked where to get them and the cost. Always looks nice and great in photos but I think the cost is more than most people are willing to pay for a surprise delivery or photo op.