Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California Timeline: Car Purchase, License & Registation, HOV Stickers, and FasTrak CAV Toll-Tag

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
DMV online chat advised not to mail in another application using the new form, said it might confused them. They said if HQ has issue with the old form then they will mail it back. They also mentioned forms mailed to the old PO BOX will be forwarded so it should be fine.

Yeah if they send it back it will be a 4-5 month delay in getting the stickers… I couldn’t get a hold of them today via the phone but what you described is what I was thinking would happen but i’m probably just going to send it in again just in case just to make sure.. going to cost me another stamp but hopefully will make me able to get the stickers quicker

I'm kind of on the same page, if it takes 4-5 months to turn around I'd rather send in a duplicate application, the worse that will happen is they send it back as stickers have already been issued. That actually happened to me 3 years ago when I sent in an application, turned out the dealer had already applied and had the stickers sitting there at the dealership. Fortunately, at the time I only lost a few weeks, although was still upset the dealer didn't contact me.

I don't think the DMV would get confused by multiple applications, they are probably just trying to cut down on unnecessary work, but they create it in the first place with changing versions of the forms and PO boxes.

Reactions: Undisclosed
Unfortunately, DMV timeline for rejections is much faster than their timelines of actually successfully processing your request...

Check written and application mailed on 10/18/21, the same day my Tesla was delivered to my driveway. I wrote my temp plates on the app trying to save time. That did not work!
Check and application returned sometime in November for "pending transaction on file." Of course the pending transaction was me having to wait for my permanent plates. I kept the returned app until my plates arrives. DMV was nice enough to include a pre-addressed envelope for me to resubmit (it's the least that they could do).
Plates arrived a few weeks later, I write the permanent plate number on app and mail it back with the same check on the same day.
Then my specialized plates come in December, I knew this when submitting my app but didn't want to wait for the specialized plates before submitting. Check was finally cashed on 12/22/21. DMV wrote my personalized plates on the back of the endorsement of the check. Now I'm in panic mode hoping they do not mail me 2021 stickers on 12/31/21 lol.

The yellow 2022 stickers arrived in the mail today on 1/7/22. Already went online and updated my FastTrak info and hope that it comes this week in the mail.

Moral of the story...DMV is an outdated mismanaged dinosaur and I have not written a check in years. They need to do better :)

Any pictures of the yellow stickers? You're the first person to receive them I've seen. Your post also gives me hope as I sent my application in mid-December... watching for the check to cash.
From facebook

Attachments

• 4C5E8E49-8B15-4EA6-807B-9B48949CF2C6.jpeg
    4C5E8E49-8B15-4EA6-807B-9B48949CF2C6.jpeg
    341.4 KB · Views: 133
  • DE6E00FF-713B-4BA2-8B27-6163BE635B16.jpeg
    DE6E00FF-713B-4BA2-8B27-6163BE635B16.jpeg
    349.1 KB · Views: 87
Reactions: Niloch
Timelines....

Took exactly 22 days to get my standard white plates. Immediately ordered a set of black plates (random number) on that day.
Took exactly 62 days to get my black plates (after receiving the white plates).
Took exactly 12 days from mailing in my HOV decal app on Dec 10 to getting my check cashed on Dec 22. Received my yellow 2022 stickers on Jan 5.

Timelines....

Took exactly 22 days to get my standard white plates. Immediately ordered a set of black plates (random number) on that day.
Took exactly 62 days to get my black plates (after receiving the white plates).
Took exactly 12 days from mailing in my HOV decal app on Dec 10 to getting my check cashed on Dec 22. Received my yellow 2022 stickers on Jan 5.
Wow that's got to be a speed record and perfect timing to get the Yellows at the beginning of the month. Gives us all some hope that mailed in our applications in mid December.

I apologize if this was discussed previously but what is the benefit of having both the CAV decal and Fastrak CAV? Obviously, the decal is a free carpool when solo but the Fastrak CAV id 50% off when driving solo in the carpool. Does it give you 50% off bridge tolls too? I'm confused.🙄

This is buried in the thread here by a few pages now, but I sent my application in on 11/22 (week of Thanksgiving) and had BLUE decals issued to me on 12/03/21. I then turned around and returned those stickers with a Statement of Facts (as requested by DMV) to call out their backlog and "all applications are processed in the order received" slogan they constantly reiterate. That was mailed on 12/20/21.

At this point I'm just waiting for a reply, but I don't expect one for another month or so..... Man the DMV is just awful.

Reactions: MLBaseball
This is buried in the thread here by a few pages now, but I sent my application in on 11/22 (week of Thanksgiving) and had BLUE decals issued to me on 12/03/21. I then turned around and returned those stickers with a Statement of Facts (as requested by DMV) to call out their backlog and "all applications are processed in the order received" slogan they constantly reiterate. That was mailed on 12/20/21.

At this point I'm just waiting for a reply, but I don't expect one for another month or so..... Man the DMV is just awful.

Kind of harsh to be bagging on them for being too fast. FWIW I sent my check in on Nov 16 but since the docs didn't have a license number they returned the form and the check on Dec 15. By then I had gotten my plates so sent the form back (in the pre-addressed envelop the DMV had kindly provided). The check was cashed Jan 5 so I'm expecting the stickers any day.

12/10/21: Sent in the application and check from just outside Sacramento. Already received standard white plates a few weeks before.
1/13/22: Haven't checked the mail for a few days, but Yellow decals were in the mail as of today.

The better half wasn't too excited with yellow decals on her black car - would have rather had the purple decals.
We joke she's going to look like a bumblebee now. :)

• Funny
Reactions: SanCarlosJeff
Gang

I just got my Y with the temporary plates .

So I’m clear, is everyone here waiting till the official plates arrived before applying for the CAV stickers and sending the CAV application before the official plates arrived just a waste of time?

Once the official plates arrived I assumed Tesla has processed the day I picked up the car is when I applied for both the Sticker and the Fasttrack pass ? Thx for your explanation

Unfortunately, DMV timeline for rejections is much faster than their timelines of actually successfully processing your request...

Check written and application mailed on 10/18/21, the same day my Tesla was delivered to my driveway. I wrote my temp plates on the app trying to save time. That did not work!
Check and application returned sometime in November for "pending transaction on file." Of course the pending transaction was me having to wait for my permanent plates. I kept the returned app until my plates arrives. DMV was nice enough to include a pre-addressed envelope for me to resubmit (it's the least that they could do).
Plates arrived a few weeks later, I write the permanent plate number on app and mail it back with the same check on the same day.
Then my specialized plates come in December, I knew this when submitting my app but didn't want to wait for the specialized plates before submitting. Check was finally cashed on 12/22/21. DMV wrote my personalized plates on the back of the endorsement of the check. Now I'm in panic mode hoping they do not mail me 2021 stickers on 12/31/21 lol.

The yellow 2022 stickers arrived in the mail today on 1/7/22. Already went online and updated my FastTrak info and hope that it comes this week in the mail.

Moral of the story...DMV is an outdated mismanaged dinosaur and I have not written a check in years. They need to do better :)

CAV Fastrak arrived in the mail on 1/14/22, just a few days after I applied for it. That by far was the most quickest part of the entire process. I’ve used the Fastrak CAV in my car already, but haven’t placed the CAV stickers on the bumper.

I’m wondering if I can just leave the stickers off since the carpool routes on my drive are open to all regardless of how many people are in the car, the difference is just in what you are charged. Are the stickers just for CHP to leave us alone if we only have one person in the car during carpool hours and the lane is not opened to “all” at that time?

I apologize if this was discussed previously but what is the benefit of having both the CAV decal and Fastrak CAV? Obviously, the decal is a free carpool when solo but the Fastrak CAV id 50% off when driving solo in the carpool. Does it give you 50% off bridge tolls too? I'm confused.🙄

It depends on the freeway. Some are 50% off some are free. I believe that all bridges in Bay Area are discounted except the Golden Gate Bridge with CAV Fastrak. You must have the CAV stickers in order to apply for CAV Fastrak. The stickers without CAV Fastrak means nothing.

I think the stickers are just for CHP to know and not pull you over for riding solo in carpool lane. Can someone verify if this is the meaning?

I’ve received my CAV Fastrak and am using it, but have not bothered to place my stickers on the bumper.

Reactions: opasenBG