Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California Timeline: Car Purchase, License & Registation, HOV Stickers, and FasTrak CAV Toll-Tag

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't see any reason why Tesla would be excluded for 2022. What is a model year as far as Tesla is concerned anyway?

Agreed and, yes the Tesla model-year can be fuzzy compared to traditional manufacturers.

I am not sure how accurate and up-to-date that online list of eligible vehicles is. For example, the lack of hybrids on the list (in the early years) surprises me.

Meanwhile, the (California Legislature) politics of who gets what pro-environmental incentive is frustrating to me.

Last edited:
Just in case anyone is in the same boat, here‘s my timeline:

June 6th: Took delivery.
June 14th: Went out on a limb and applied for HOV stickers using VIN only.
June 28th: Received regular plates in the mail.
June 28th: Ordered sequential CA Legacy plates.
August 5th: An unexpected tracking number appeared in my USPS informed delivery account. There was no movement on the package until August 11th.
August 12th: Package delivered! As I suspected/hoped, it turned out to be my new plates.
Update on my timeline:

September 8th: My $22 HOV check was just cashed (sent June 14th with NO permanent license plate number filled out; VIN only)

White would be maddening to everyone who doesn't have a white car. Black would do nicely.
White was done.

PXL_20210909_005423150.jpg

Reactions: planetary
From the CARB website, it notes this-
" Each year the California DMV will establish a new CAV decal color. The colors for future decals have not yet been determined. Future CAV decals will expire on January 1st of the fourth year after the year they are issued. This provides an access period of three full years plus the partial year from when the decal was issued. For example, if a decal was issued anytime in 2021, it expires January 1, 2025.
Please note that the CAV decal program will end, and any remaining valid decals will expire on September 30, 2025."
On the Manufacturer eligibility list, not one Tesla model shows up for 2022. I'm unclear if applying for the decal in 2022 with a 2021 model would mean it was still eligible. Unless the list is updated to reflect 2022, then anyone receiving a Tesla in 2022 would potentially not be eligible for the HOV decal.

Any application within 2021 will expire on January 1, 2025 regardless of when you receive your stickers in 2021. The program itself ends in September 2025. With that in mind, it might be best to ensure your application clears in 2021 to obtain your stickers. I could be wrong but based on the clear as mud instructions on the website, there's a risk that an eligible 2021 Tesla may not receive a decal if it falls in 2022.

Update on my timeline:

September 8th: My $22 HOV check was just cashed (sent June 14th with NO permanent license plate number filled out; VIN only)

August 5th: An unexpected tracking number appeared in my USPS informed delivery account. There was no movement on the package until August 11th.
August 12th: Package delivered! As I suspected/hoped, it turned out to be my new plates.
September 20th: HOV decals received in the mail today.

September 20th: HOV decals received in the mail today.
Any reason why you didn't wait 3 months to get another year of value on the sticker?

Anyone else looking to mail out HOV applications in October to target a Jan 2022 sticker delivery? :)

I'll probably wait until early Dec (assuming I have the car by then), just to avoid getting screwed by a sudden burst of governmental efficiency. But my return to office (i.e. commute) won't resume until late Jan at the earliest -- and even then only 2 days a week, so the cost of waiting isn't that high.

Reactions: scooter77
I'll probably wait until early Dec (assuming I have the car by then), just to avoid getting screwed by a sudden burst of governmental efficiency. But my return to office (i.e. commute) won't resume until late Jan at the earliest -- and even then only 2 days a week, so the cost of waiting isn't that high.
Probably the right/safer call. Hope you get your vin/delivery asap!

Reactions: planetary
Any reason why you didn't wait 3 months to get another year of value on the sticker?
Myself personally, the blue of the current year stickers go well with my midnight silver. Not sure what kind of color is next year (the previous year orange sticks out way too much, and purple was only slight better). Also didn't want to wait for the processing time uncertainty as they rejected my first app once for no written reason (I submitted in March, got notice of incomplete application June with no reason checked on the form and resubmitted, finally check cashed mid-this month).

Note you don't get a whole year anyways, program ends in September 30, 2025.

This is a silly question, but on the decal application, is date of purchase your website order date or the date it was delivered (DMV paperwork, financing, etc competed and signed)?
Deliver date as per your DMV paper as that is what DMV cross references. Your "order date" doesn't matter at all to DMV or any of the government entities.

Reactions: witchy