Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California Timeline: Car Purchase, License & Registation, HOV Stickers, and FasTrak CAV Toll-Tag

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys What is total time roughly from date of delivery to getting your stickers ? 2 months or 3 months ? And with DMV current backlogged, is it longer ? What has your experience been? What about the CA $2,000 rebate ? Do you also have to wait till the official plates arrive before applying ? Thanks for your feedbacks

What is the verdict on my Qs ?

Yes go ahead and mail the sticker application with just the Vin or before the official plates arrives or dont bother it us a waste of time ?
You can submit with temp plates and update with perm plates later. I've done this, however there seems to be absolutely no rhyme or reason to when the DMV is processing apps. I sent mine over a month ago and nothing, but others who submitted after me have already gotten theirs. Its honestly just a crap shoot.

It depends on the freeway. Some are 50% off some are free. I believe that all bridges in Bay Area are discounted except the Golden Gate Bridge with CAV Fastrak. You must have the CAV stickers in order to apply for CAV Fastrak. The stickers without CAV Fastrak means nothing.

I think the stickers are just for CHP to know and not pull you over for riding solo in carpool lane. Can someone verify if this is the meaning?

I’ve received my CAV Fastrak and am using it, but have not bothered to place my stickers on the bumper.
CHP and perhaps the cameras when you pass the toll booth. Some say it's irrelevant for the cameras, but I would rather not test that.

However for normal carpool lanes or express lanes, if there are no cameras, I don't think there is any way to enforce stickers other than CHP anyways. The discounts all depend on your transponder.

No. I submitted for the $2K and they accepted my app with no issues. Ther is about a 90 day wait for the money once they accept the app.
How do you apply if you don’t have the actual vehicle registration? Don’t you need to wait till your official plates arrive? I just went into that rebate portal and they are asking for the vehicle registration. Am I missing something? Thx

How do you apply if you don’t have the actual vehicle registration? Don’t you need to wait till your official plates arrive? I just went into that rebate portal and they are asking for the vehicle registration. Am I missing something? Thx

You apply with the temp registration paper, look at their website, there is a PDF document of what is accepted for Tesla.

Page 11, you should have that paper on the sticker window on the bottom right of your windshield if they did not include an extra copy inside of your glovebox.

Reactions: SPACE_EX and .Slug
What is the verdict on my Qs ?

Yes go ahead and mail the sticker application with just the Vin or before the official plates arrives or dont bother it us a waste of time ?
Chat with the DMV on their website. Verify they have process (or started to process) the registration paperwork. If they haven't yet started (meaning they don't have record of your VIN being purchased) they will just mail you back your application and check.

Nearly three months in, received plates and title. Had to re-sign paperwork after about 45 days as Tesla hadn’t submitted anything (blamed on esign glitch).

Filed for carpool stickers after the second registration and second temp plates round (~Dec 13), check hasn’t been cashed and no sign of any other movement.

Nearly three months in, received plates and title. Had to re-sign paperwork after about 45 days as Tesla hadn’t submitted anything (blamed on esign glitch).

Filed for carpool stickers after the second registration and second temp plates round (~Dec 13), check hasn’t been cashed and no sign of any other movement.
Title and plate received in about 35 days.
Mailed in the carpool stickers docs about 25 days after purchase(about a week before title and plates received). Now we wait....

My check was cashed yesterday, so with any luck stickers next week. I mailed in my application around 12/20.
I mailed mine 12/15 from LA. I don't know when my check cashed but I got my stickers last week (sometime between 1/21-1/25 as I was out of town and don't know which day). They yellow doesn't look as bad as expected... but its not pretty.

I hope you all get yours soon!

Mailed 12/22/21, check cashed 1/20/22, stickers arrived 1/27/22.

Don't mind the yellow, it's better than the first yellow I had from 2006 and it'll match the vintage CA plates I will hopefully get soon (ordered 7/23/21 and still waiting!)

Gang , this has been asked before but are you guys who are now submitting the application waiting to get your official plate or just applying with no official plate and just your vin number?
I would just chat with a DMV agent via their website (click "Ask DMV" and then type Agent). Ask if they have started processing the registration, they will need VIN and registration details (the first few times, they told me they received nothing, and the last time they confirmed they had received something, but couldn't confirm details).

This told me they started to process the registration and I dropped my application in the mail the same day. If they haven't started processing it yet then they will just reject your application. I submitted it with just the VIN filled in as others have done in the past.

Make sure you have the latest 12/2021 form.

I would just chat with a DMV agent via their website (click "Ask DMV" and then type Agent). Ask if they have started processing the registration, they will need VIN and registration details (the first few times, they told me they received nothing, and the last time they confirmed they had received something, but couldn't confirm details).

This told me they started to process the registration and I dropped my application in the mail the same day. If they haven't started processing it yet then they will just reject your application. I submitted it with just the VIN filled in as others have done in the past.

Make sure you have the latest 12/2021 form.
I’m confused. So did you or did you not submit the application without receiving the official plate first ? what are they processing if you have never submitted the application? I see you said you submitted your application and dropped in the mail “ the same day” After they told you they have started processing?? How can they process your application when nothing was originally submitted ?

Last edited: