Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California Timeline: Car Purchase, License & Registation, HOV Stickers, and FasTrak CAV Toll-Tag

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m confused. So did you or did you not submit the application without receiving the official plate first ? what are they processing if you have never submitted the application? I see you said you submitted your application and dropped in the mail “ the same day” After they told you they have started processing?? How can they process your application when nothing was originally submitted ?
He's talking about your car's registration. Ask DMV if your registration is under processing. If it is, you can fill in the HOV sticker application based on your VIN and not worry about it being rejected even though you have not received your plates yet. If your registration was not under processing, then there is a chance that DMV will reject your HOV sticker application, given they don't have your VIN in their database as registered or undergoing registration yet.

• Helpful
Reactions: AprilMay
He's talking about your car's registration. Ask DMV if your registration is under processing. If it is, you can fill in the HOV sticker application based on your VIN and not worry about it being rejected even though you have not received your plates yet. If your registration was not under processing, then there is a chance that DMV will reject your HOV sticker application, given they don't have your VIN in their database as registered or undergoing registration yet.
Thanks Stop

Just got off the phone with DMV and apparently they haven’t received the doc from Tesla ? I purchased the Y on 1/15.

Does it take Tesla that long to send to DMV the temporary registration? I did get the temporary registration on 1/15 from Tesla but who knows if that was transmitted to DMV ?

Thanks Stop

Just got off the phone with DMV and apparently they haven’t received the doc from Tesla ? I purchased the Y on 1/15.

Does it take Tesla that long to send to DMV the temporary registration? I did get the temporary registration on 1/15 from Tesla but who knows if that was transmitted to DMV ?
Did you sign the stack of DMV papers that came with the car and submit it back to your delivery center for them to send into the DMV? The registration being discussed here is not the temporary registration, it's your car's permanent registration. That stack of papers has sometimes been said to be lost in the process and owner had to go back to store or delivery center to fill out new copies. Sometimes it is the delivery agent that didn't make it clear that the paperwork needed to be submitted back to Tesla, and the owner just never did so.

As for processing time, it has been said that Tesla may submit to DMV in batches so it may not be immediate.

Here's the timeline for mine (I had contact-free delivery and sent in the paperwork that was inside car in the given FedEx envelope):
12/31/2020 delivery, Colma Delivery center received my paperwork 1/4/2021 via FedEx, title date 1/15 (post mark 1/28), got title 2/1, got plates and registration 2/11

I’m confused. So did you or did you not submit the application without receiving the official plate first ? what are they processing if you have never submitted the application? I see you said you submitted your application and dropped in the mail “ the same day” After they told you they have started processing?? How can they process your application when nothing was originally submitted ?
Tesla needs to submit your registration forms to the DMV (they say it's electronic, but mine took 3 weeks to be "received" by the DMV) for them to even know of the existence of your car. If they don't have your registration, they have no record of your VIN.

Once they have received the registration paperwork and started to process the registration then they have record of your VIN and you should be clear to submit your HOV decal application.

Keep in mind this it the DMV and they have ZERO consistency at times. This is why they communicated a 4 month backlog in processing applications on 11/18/2021 and processed my first application mailed in on 11/22/2021 in 2 weeks and had stickers in the mail by 12/03/2021. Of course they were Blue, so I sent them back. Still waiting to see where this goes.

Did you sign the stack of DMV papers that came with the car and submit it back to your delivery center for them to send into the DMV? The registration being discussed here is not the temporary registration, it's your car's permanent registration. That stack of papers has sometimes been said to be lost in the process and owner had to go back to store or delivery center to fill out new copies. Sometimes it is the delivery agent that didn't make it clear that the paperwork needed to be submitted back to Tesla, and the owner just never did so.

As for processing time, it has been said that Tesla may submit to DMV in batches so it may not be immediate.

Here's the timeline for mine (I had contact-free delivery and sent in the paperwork that was inside car in the given FedEx envelope):
12/31/2020 delivery, Colma Delivery center received my paperwork 1/4/2021 via FedEx, title date 1/15 (post mark 1/28), got title 2/1, got plates and registration 2/11

Thanks Stop

I actually also got the home delivery but with my Y there were no “ Fed Ex envelop “ inside my car as all the forms were signed electronically through the app. I did see I signed the “ Application for registration for new owner” but again it was through the app including my loan app with Tesla before delivery . My sales rep said the “ wet sign” is the old way and now everything is electronic esign .

Last edited:
Stickers:
Mailed old form to old address: 1/1/22
Mailed new form to new address:1/3/22

Old form to old address and old check processed 1/29/22 and check cashed 2/2/22.

Hopefully they don’t cash the new check that I sent as well hopefully it will be mailed back to me.

At one point white sticker holders could apply for a red sticker. Assuming a red sticker was never obtained, is it still possible to get a Blue, Orange, or Yellow as a "renewal"?
No, there was a specific window of time when you could get a Red sticker if you originally had White. If your VIN was issued a White sticker, you cannot get any of the later colors. There is no extension or renewal. They intend to only allow a vehicle to have a limited period of solo HOV access.

• Informative
Reactions: oktane
I mailed the old application 12/29, check cashed 1/29, and still waiting for my sticker. I’ll get the PPF as stickers should be here soon.
Got mine yesterday 2/7. For purposes of PPF, the new yellow sticker is a mirror image of the the older 2021 stickers. So be sure to get a 2022 specific PPF or cut your own template.

I’m only going to place a small sticker in the rear right and a second at front left. These yellow stickers are so bright even a half blind cop can see it from a mile away.

Stickers:
Mailed old form to old address: 1/1/22
Mailed new form to new address: 1/3/22

Old form to old address and old check processed 1/29/22 and check cashed 2/2/22.
New form to new address and new check processed on 2/4/22 and was sent back to me and I received the application and check back today 2/10/22.

Apparently my stickers were issued on 1/25/22 but I have yet to receive them, it seems like they are turning the applications around pretty quickly. Hopefully I get the stickers soon.

Anyone know if it comes from the DMV or from the special processing office?