Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California Utilities Plan All Out War On Solar, Please Read And Help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Former NOAA researcher Dr. Christopher Clack is back with a groundbreaking new study showing that Californians can pay $120 billion less for energy over the next thirty years with more rooftop solar and battery storage.

The report compared two scenarios in which we get to 100% clean energy:
  • Only large wind and solar farms and no rooftop solar (the utility profit grab).
  • Both, but where we optimize the use of rooftop solar for maximum advantage (preferred).
The second scenario won the day. If we keep rooftop solar growing:
  • Consumers can save $120 billion, or $295 per year per ratepayer over the next thirty years.
  • 374,000 additional jobs will be created - local, consistent jobs in every county and community.
  • Global warming emissions drop by an additional 4.1 metric tons, and occur faster than under the utility-scale only scenario.

I am all for rooftop solar but frankly the new report is underwhelming in terms of ratepayer savings. Just being bumped by EV-A to a new rate plan jacks up my bill almost $1K/year and that's before PG&E jacks rates even more to pay for wildfire damages that keep getting worse. I wonder how much more PG&E will jack up rates now that the Dixie wildfire caused by PG&E is the largest on record. Rooftop solar or no rooftop solar, I think PG&E in its current structure is unsustainable. It's higher priority for the state to take it over for drastic restructuring.

Reactions: FlatSix911 and gene
Former NOAA researcher Dr. Christopher Clack is back with a groundbreaking new study showing that Californians can pay $120 billion less for energy over the next thirty years with more rooftop solar and battery storage.

• Only large wind and solar farms and no rooftop solar (the utility profit grab).
  • Both, but where we optimize the use of rooftop solar for maximum advantage (preferred).
  • Consumers can save $120 billion, or $295 per year per ratepayer over the next thirty years.
  • 374,000 additional jobs will be created - local, consistent jobs in every county and community.
  • Global warming emissions drop by an additional 4.1 metric tons, and occur faster than under the utility-scale only scenario.
Here is the link to the Vibrant Study: https://vibrantcleanenergy.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/VCE-CCSA_CA_Report.pdf

Reactions: MontyFloyd
I have signed every possible petition against this as well as sending Newsom and AARP emails, this is so much bs and will be very disappointed in our government if this gets passed. I have discontinued my AARP subscription.
thank you for signing the AARP petition. I hope you will share the link with friends and family. No need to be a member or 50+ Tell AARP: Stop lobbying to kill rooftop solar

Reactions: gene
I am all for rooftop solar but frankly the new report is underwhelming in terms of ratepayer savings. Just being bumped by EV-A to a new rate plan jacks up my bill almost $1K/year and that's before PG&E jacks rates even more to pay for wildfire damages that keep getting worse. I wonder how much more PG&E will jack up rates now that the Dixie wildfire caused by PG&E is the largest on record. Rooftop solar or no rooftop solar, I think PG&E in its current structure is unsustainable. It's higher priority for the state to take it over for drastic restructuring.
Here is the link to the actual report: https://vibrantcleanenergy.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/VCE-CCSA_CA_Report.pdf

• Love

Link to the report: https://vibrantcleanenergy.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/VCE-CCSA_CA_Report.pdf

That's one way to look at it. I don't view my PV energy fed to the grid as selling to the utility. Rather I see the utility providing an energy storage service for my PV energy. And the NBC's they already charge is the cost I pay to the utility for providing the energy storage service. Net metering is just part of the service.
That's the point to pay rooftop solar a fair price for our generation of engery. We are mini clean energy power plants. No different than CA Utitilites buy energy from other sources.

• Love
Interesting testimony to the CPUC: REBUTTAL TESTIMONY OF BILL POWERS, P.E
Introduction
This rebuttal testimony makes the following arguments:
• The NEM 2.0 residential and non-residential tariffs should be retained in their
current form, supplemented by terms consistent with the proposals of CALSSA or
SEIA/Vote Solar to incentivize inclusion of battery storage with NEM systems.
• Contrary to the assertions in the opening testimonies of the Joint IOUs, Cal
Advocates, and TURN, rising residential rates are driven by rapidly increasing
IOU transmission and distribution (T&D) investments and tiered rate
restructuring, not a NEM cost shift.
• The cost-of-service calculation methodology best represents the cost shift
between NEM and non-NEM customers.
• Neither the cost-of-service methodology nor the avoided cost methodologies
preferred by other parties account for the cost-benefit of proposed T&D projects
that have been—or would be—eliminated by NEM solar.
• Contrary to the assertions of various other parties, there is no cost-shift associated
with non-residential NEM, nor is there a cost-shift associated with residential

NEM when the cost-benefit of proposed T&D that is eliminated by NEM solar is
accounted for.
Bill Powers, P.E., is a registered professional engineer with a background in power
systems who has served as an expert witness in numerous Commission proceedings. His resume
is included as Attachment 1.
Issue 2: What information from the NEM 2.0 Lookback Study should inform the successor
tariff and how should the Commission apply those findings in its consideration?
The following sections of this testimony respond to Issue 2 identified in the Scoping
Memo. As discussed in these sections, the IOUs, TURN, and Cal Advocates improperly
calculate the alleged cost burden imposed by NEM solar and fail to account for the full benefits
of NEM. The Commission should not accept these parties’ calculation of NEM solar’s cost shift
and should instead prioritize the results of the full cost of service analysis contained in the NEM
2.0 Lookback Study.

I. The Commission should prioritize the results of the full cost of service analysis from
the NEM 2.0 Lookback Study, which estimates a substantially smaller cost-shift.
A. The Testimony Submitted by the IOUs, Cal Advocates, and TURN does not
accurately characterize the cost burden of NEM solar.

The Joint IOUs, the Public Advocates Office (“Cal Advocates”), and TURN have cherry-
picked extreme avoided cost calculation methodologies to assert that residential NEM customers

are causing billions in shifted costs, but they ignore the results of the “full cost of service”
analyses that undercut their massive-cost-shift argument.

You can read the rest of the rebuttal here: Bill Powers16-july-21_R20-08-020 NEM Rebuttal Testimony of Bill Powers, P.E..pdf

• Informative
Reactions: cali8484 and gene
The Coalition for Community Solar Access (CCSA) and Local Solar for All commissioned Vibrant Clean Energy (VCE®) to investigate scenarios that electrify and completely decarbonize the economy for the state of California by 2045. The scenarios discussed in this report model California undergoing economy-wide electrification with the decarbonization of the electricity sector while using distributed generation as part of the decarbonization strategy.

The modeling was performed using the WIS:dom®-P, a state-of-the-art model capable of performing detailed capacity expansion and production cost while cooptimizing utility-scale generation, storage, transmission, and distributed energy resources (DERs). The modeled scenarios use the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) Annual Technology Baseline (ATB) 2020 “moderate” cost projections for installed capital and Operation and Maintenance (O&M) costs. For fuel costs, forecasts from the Annual Energy Outlook (AEO) 2020 High Oil and Gas supply scenario are used.

The scenarios modeled in this study are:

(1) Electrify and decarbonize CA without distribution co-optimization and no new distributed generation (“Utility-scale Only”): In this scenario, California undergoes economy-wide electrification and decarbonization of the electricity sector without cooptimizing the distribution system with the utility-scale generation. In addition, no new distributed generation is allowed to be installed after 2020. All nuclear generation in California is assumed to be retired by 2025. This scenario serves as a counterfactual to compare changes in system costs and retail rates for customers as a result of cooptimizing the distribution system and utilizing distributed generation.

(2) Electrify and decarbonize CA with distribution co-optimization and with increased distributed generation buildout (“Local Solar & Storage Future”): In this scenario, WIS:dom-P co-optimizes the distribution system with utility-scale generation to decarbonize California by 100% by 2045 while undergoing economy-wide electrification. All nuclear generation in California is assumed to retire by 2025. In this scenario a minimum level of distributed solar and community solar adoption is assumed per year as shown in Fig. 1.1.

• Informative
In case you missed the webinar
The traditional thinking is that economies of scale make remote energy generation more cost-effective. But a new study from the Local Solar for All Coalition, based on results from the powerful new WIS:dom-P model from Vibrant Clean Energy, turns this thinking on its head.

Using a much more sophisticated model than other studies employ, the Local Solar for All team found that deploying far more clean local energy, in close coordination with remote renewables, will save Californians billions — while helping the state achieve our clean energy goals and creating hundreds of thousands of jobs.

This webinar covered:

• Conventional thinking compared to the needed paradigm shift
  • The study’s methodology and assumptions
  • The importance of coordinating the utility-scale electricity grid with the distribution grid to find the overall lowest system cost
  • Detailed findings of the study
  • Benefits of local solar+storage

Presenters:​
OC_VGHn0qx0-bwApnuaeV-nhVyd0ztApWF0uOiGCq6E8AqYRyGCNGsP6d_C3CNxywuP_Y2I2YSBZexzv4MGptBzR-felFMMuYSS5B2XdsolXF_-5XAc6C2SmF9g8MiqibdOhB1gvpD41=s0-d-e1-ft
hGrq11JG9KecB2nG0ztsJdIJsShd70PcMwlY7vDILI7Fc7SBVfbbc4wG_OUVaE6DKHnxEZLrHYsrLGiKl23tFIyxiTHqbeDSTQkpSvG9=s0-d-e1-ft
hGrq11JG9KecB2nG0ztsJdIJsShd70PcMwlY7vDILI7Fc7SBVfbbc4wG_OUVaE6DKHnxEZLrHYsrLGiKl23tFIyxiTHqbeDSTQkpSvG9=s0-d-e1-ft
Karl R. Rábago, CEO of Rábago Energy, has more than 30 years of experience in energy and climate policy and markets and is recognized as an innovator in utility regulatory issues relating to clean and distributed energy services and technologies. He is a frequent author on electricity industry issues and has provided testimony as an expert witness in more than 120 electric and gas utility regulatory proceedings.​
48H36sEaT8AbE11wji3YgwFlZfmO2cAcmYVId9McwbRgyytkmvBRcsId3kaT-iujOORmMYv9-tAHvUxlVEvd73xKZJSAqft4k9T49LnxExOm1nk8X3tDrd8TWmQnY9URZj_5QII81TMX=s0-d-e1-ft
Bernadette Del Chiaro, Executive Director of the California Solar & Storage Association (CALSSA), came to the organization in July 2013 and has built CALSSA into the largest clean energy business group in the state. She previously served as the Director of Clean Energy and Global Warming Programs at Environment California and as the Western States Regional Director for Environment America. Since 2002, Ms. Del Chiaro has been a leading voice on many California clean energy initiatives.

Additional materials:
Link to webinar: Webinar: How deploying more local solar and storage will save Californians billions - Wednesday 11 August 2021 - Clean Coalition

Reactions: gene and MontyFloyd
Reactions: LeeM
I just sent this to Newsom:

Dear Governor Newsom,
The damage from oil spills and the continued fossil fueled climate crisis points out how getting all cars on the road to be EV's is a goal we must reach. Equally important is that EV owners be able to charge their cars from the sunshine on their roofs.

PG&E, SCE, and SDG&E are lobbying the CPUC to allow high monthly fees for homes with solar. This will put a stop to home solar ownership and then EV owners will have to charge from the dirty grid.

I know that you, of all people, want our state to go solar.

Please be sure the CPUC does not give into the utility money grab.

BTW, I worked on your "Stop The Recall Campaign"
Gene

>>>>If you care to write Newsom here's the link: First Partner Jennifer Siebel Newsom | California Governor

I just sent this to Newsom:
Dear Governor Newsom,
The damage from oil spills and the continued fossil fueled climate crisis points out how getting all cars on the road to be EV's is a goal we must reach. Equally important is that EV owners be able to charge their cars from the sunshine on their roofs. PG&E, SCE, and SDG&E are lobbying the CPUC to allow high monthly fees for homes with solar. This will put a stop to home solar ownership and then EV owners will have to charge from the dirty grid. I know that you, of all people, want our state to go solar. Please be sure the CPUC does not give into the utility money grab. BTW, I worked on your "Stop The Recall Campaign"
Gene >>>>
If you care to write Newsom here's the link: First Partner Jennifer Siebel Newsom | California Governor
Unfortunately, Newsom is part of the problem.

• Informative