Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California Vacation Rentals with EV Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

PureAmps

Model S P85 (#2817)
Oct 22, 2012
SF Bay Area
At least once year I travel with a group of friends and our kids and we usually rent a nice house somewhere in California. About half the time its a ski trip in Tahoe, but the other half could be somewhere else in the state, from San Diego to Santa Barbara to Napa. With my recent Model S purchase, EV charging has now been added to the list of required amenities in properties we look at. At minimum, I'm just looking for a 110V plug that is within easy reach of the UMC cord either in a garage or outdoors.

For my wife's upcoming 40th birthday we decided to find a place in Napa/Sonoma to celebrate. I sent out inquiries to several places that we liked, and finally settled on one after exchanging emails with the owner. I mentioned to the owner that I had just purchased a Tesla and was wondering if there was a place I could plug in. I was really just looking for an accessible 110V plug, but after exchanging a few emails, he offered to install a 240V NEMA 14-50 plug, before we arrive!

So if you are looking for a rental in Sonoma with (soon to be available) EV charging, please check out this place:

Glen Ellen Estate Rental: 33 Acre Estate W/lake,beach,tennis,pool,100' Water Slide | HomeAway

I haven't stayed here yet (we're staying over Memorial Day), so I'm recommending purely on the reviews I've read and my interaction with owner, which has been great! I'll update my post once, we've stayed there.

Anybody else have recommendations for rental properties in CA where one can plug-in?

Attachments

• IMG_0067.JPG
    IMG_0067.JPG
    903 KB · Views: 76
Last edited by a moderator:
I have submitted a request to VRBO/HomeAway in the past to add a field for the homeowner/property manager to indicate charging availability. That would make it searchable. I would suggest that anyone else who commonly uses rentals do the same. As it sits now, I always ask about the availability (and allowance) in my request note, including proximity of the dryer outlet. I have an extension that I've used multiple times and is a good solution since the dryer outlet is rarely in the garage.

I do the same thing as @ohmman.

Even if a rental unit says they have a 220/240V plug for EV charging (110V doesn't cut it for me), I always request that they send me a close up, in focus photo (amazing how many blurry unusable photos I receive) of the outlet they say I can charge from. I insist on verifying that before I rent. Most people know absolutely nothing about outlet types, amps, or voltages.
My wife and I are making a lot of car trip vacations these days. The Model S is an awesome road trip car. But decent destination charging is essential. It takes a bit of effort, but is possible to find rental units where you can charge.
If anyone wants contact info for places to stay with EV charging in the central Sierra Nevadas near Yosemite, PM me.

Does anyone have a rental house in Palm Springs that doesn't cost $5K a night :rolleyes:
I don't think there is any rental houses in Palm Springs costing $5K a night... Are you looking for house that hosts like 30 people? There are lots of hotels at Palm Springs with destination chargers. Also there is a supercharger near Hyatt. Hyatt's rooms are dated though, but in a very good location near everything. We stayed there a few times. I think they even have a destination charger in the back, but not too sure.