Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California VINs: are you still waiting?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems crazy to start this thread, given that Elon originally said West Coast orders would be prioritized. Just wanted to gather people who have received or are still waiting on VINs in California. Lately it seems priority is going to the rest of the country.

I'll be at 5 weeks with no VIN as of this Sunday. Configured on 2/4, current owner, black, aeros, EAP. I live about 15 minutes from Fremont.

Speculation is black and white haven't had a large production run recently, and 19" wheels are being prioritized.

Are others here seeing the same thing in CA? Any Jan and early Feb configs still waiting?

I wouldn’t expect delivery before the 31st. Tesla is prioritizing deliveries to the east coast so they can be shipped and delivered before the end of the quarter.

You’ll probably get a call at the last possible second.

I'll be picking up in Rocklin (Sacramento area) and I configured 2/14 and I haven't gotten a VIN yet. I was hoping to get the car this weekend since I sold my Leaf earlier in the week, but I guess I'll be without a car for a bit longer.

Blue/Aero wheels

Configured on 1/30/18 - white, aeros. Four week delivery. No VIN. My 1.99 loan pre approval just expired. Going to be six weeks next Tuesday. I am extremely frustrated.

Ugh. So frustrating. I will be in the same boat in a few weeks. I figured being in CA would be a slam dunk given past VIN delivery data. That’s why I applied for financing early. Sorry to hear you’re dealing with that.

2/14, no vin, 20min to Fremont.
I wouldn't rule out the possible claim, the number of cars 'en route' to customers at the time of earnings report, as they mentioned last time.
They already took our deposit, so they can claim that those cars are already accounted for and 'made' -despite PDI not done. In East Coast they have fewer resources to store and do PDIs.
I don't think March 31st is the absolute deadline for VIN & delivery. I'm telling this to myself so that I won't be too frustrated on the 30th and mad-calling my ISA.

2/14, no vin, 20min to Fremont.
I wouldn't rule out the possible claim, the number of cars 'en route' to customers at the time of earnings report, as they mentioned last time.
They already took our deposit, so they can claim that those cars are already accounted for and 'made' -despite PDI not done. In East Coast they have fewer resources to store and do PDIs.
I don't think March 31st is the absolute deadline for VIN & delivery. I'm telling this to myself so that I won't be too frustrated on the 30th and mad-calling my ISA.

They can't book a sale for Q1 earnings until the customer takes delivery. They can issue VINs to CA order on March 23 and still make delivery by end of quarter. I'll bet we start seeing our VINS mid-late next week.

Reactions: RedOctober
You will get it before March 31st

Has there been any official word on this or is this just wishful thinking? This idea keeps getting perpetuated on this board. I think it's a plausible (and maybe even probable), but it's being treated as gospel here. I, for one, I'm not getting my hopes up.

For the record, I ordered 2/24, non-owner, San Diego, White, Sport Wheels, EAP. No VIN yet.

Has there been any official word on this or is this just wishful thinking? This idea keeps getting perpetuated on this board. I think it's a plausible (and maybe even probable), but it's being treated as gospel here. I, for one, I'm not getting my hopes up.

For the record, I ordered 2/24, non-owner, San Diego, White, Sport Wheels, EAP. No VIN yet.

Tesla has been regionally batching their cars for a long time, both domestic and international. All the early production goes to the destinations with the longest transit times.

They are quite clearly snubbing CA with deliveries.

CA accounted for a more than a third of all invites on 2/22. "The spreadsheet" has 33 recorded VINs in the 2/22 group, and none of them in California. It's statistically impossible to have happened by accident.

Some configurations are just backlogged (e.g. almost no one who configured a white/aero in February anywhere in the country got their VINs yet), but, in others, deliveries are deliberately being routed anywhere but CA.

There may be something to the theory about maximizing Q1 deliveries.

Reactions: nonstickrobot