Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California VINs: are you still waiting?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They are quite clearly snubbing CA with deliveries.

CA accounted for a more than a third of all invites on 2/22. "The spreadsheet" has 33 recorded VINs in the 2/22 group, and none of them in California. It's statistically impossible to have happened by accident.

Some configurations are just backlogged (e.g. almost no one who configured a white/aero in February anywhere in the country got their VINs yet), but, in others, deliveries are deliberately being routed anywhere but CA.

There may be something to the theory about maximizing Q1 deliveries.

CA isn't getting snubbed. We will get our VINs in the next week or so, because it takes less than a week to deliver to a CA buyer after they get their VIN. They do this to max out quarterly deliveries. Go read the investor forum and you'll see Tesla has been doing this for a long time.

They are quite clearly snubbing CA with deliveries.

CA accounted for a more than a third of all invites on 2/22. "The spreadsheet" has 33 recorded VINs in the 2/22 group, and none of them in California. It's statistically impossible to have happened by accident.

Some configurations are just backlogged (e.g. almost no one who configured a white/aero in February anywhere in the country got their VINs yet), but, in others, deliveries are deliberately being routed anywhere but CA.

There may be something to the theory about maximizing Q1 deliveries.

I like the theory that the rest of the country is getting early VINs to get them their cars by the end of Q1. Hopefully we get late VINs in CA but super quick deliveries to get our cars before March is over.

Driving back from NoCal I saw 2 car carriers full of Model 3's headed south on the 5 near the grapevine.

Furthermore, when I toured the factory this week, the section where they were assembling Model 3's looked absolutely filled with legions of them in various stages of assembly. No telling how many were waiting on battery packs.

In my opinion, the floodgates are ready to open literally any day now.

CA isn't getting snubbed. We will get our VINs in the next week or so, because it takes less than a week to deliver to a CA buyer after they get their VIN. They do this to max out quarterly deliveries. Go read the investor forum and you'll see Tesla has been doing this for a long time.
Doesn’t change the fact that they’re missing delivery windows for CA people. I’ll be at 5 weeks on Sunday with no VIN and I’ll likely miss my delivery window stated when I ordered. Others ordered 2/22 and are getting their cars this week or next.

Yes, this is what they do, but the general customer doesn’t know about investor strategies. We give them our $3500, seek financing and are not getting our cars in a reasonable amount of time.

Then again, there’s nothing we can do but complain online ;)

How is that getting snubbed if we all get our cars at the same time? Sure, MA got their VIN yesterday, but they won't get their car until March 29th. That's the same time CA deliveries will happen.

That’s really just a theory though. We don’t have any evidence that we’ll get our cars before the end of March. And some east coasters are getting their cars already, not in two or three weeks.

How is that getting snubbed if we all get our cars at the same time? Sure, MA got their VIN yesterday, but they won't get their car until March 29th. That's the same time CA deliveries will happen.

One person from WA who configured on 2/22 got a delivery date scheduled for today. There are two other people on the east coast (IL and PA) with delivery dates of 3/13 and 3/15. Meanwhile, Tesla gave out somewhere upwards of 1000 (maybe 2000) invites to San Diego, none of them have VINs yet, and it's still unclear how they intend either to ship or to deliver 1000 cars out of their single cramped service center in the city. In the most optimistic scenario, they need to average something like 5 car carriers per day arriving to San Diego, starting today, just to meet everyone's delivery estimates.

Not that I'm complaining yet (my 6 weeks are only up on 4/5), but something does not smell right in the kingdom of Denmark.

I've been entertaining the possibility that they are going to book a whole freight train and ship 500 cars at once straight to San Diego, and start assignments/deliveries once they get here.

Last edited:
They can't book a sale for Q1 earnings until the customer takes delivery. They can issue VINs to CA order on March 23 and still make delivery by end of quarter. I'll bet we start seeing our VINS mid-late next week.
This doesn't make sense to me...it assumes that most if not all of the people they assign VINs to can take delivery within the following 8 day period. It would make much more sense to me to contact everyone they can potentially deliver to ahead of time to see who can take delivery on what dates to maximize the March deliveries.

This doesn't make sense to me...it assumes that most if not all of the people they assign VINs to can take delivery within the following 8 day period. It would make much more sense to me to contact everyone they can potentially deliver to ahead of time to see who can take delivery on what dates to maximize the March deliveries.
erthquake is just giving that 8 day window as an example of how little time Tesla could give and still satisfy a West Coast delivery. As erthquake says, next week is when it will most likely kick in. And yes, this is most definitely Tesla's MO and has been basically 'forever'

Last edited:
Reactions: erthquake
Seems crazy to start this thread, given that Elon originally said West Coast orders would be prioritized. Just wanted to gather people who have received or are still waiting on VINs in California. Lately it seems priority is going to the rest of the country.

I'll be at 5 weeks with no VIN as of this Sunday. Configured on 2/4, current owner, black, aeros, EAP. I live about 15 minutes from Fremont.

Speculation is black and white haven't had a large production run recently, and 19" wheels are being prioritized.

Are others here seeing the same thing in CA? Any Jan and early Feb configs still waiting?

Seems crazy to start this thread, given that Elon originally said West Coast orders would be prioritized. Just wanted to gather people who have received or are still waiting on VINs in California. Lately it seems priority is going to the rest of the country.

I'll be at 5 weeks with no VIN as of this Sunday. Configured on 2/4, current owner, black, aeros, EAP. I live about 15 minutes from Fremont.

Speculation is black and white haven't had a large production run recently, and 19" wheels are being prioritized.

Are others here seeing the same thing in CA? Any Jan and early Feb configs still waiting?
Yes, I configured on 2/17, in Pasadena CA, no vin. Working with Tesla store, even staff can’t see anything in the system and assume deliveries will be 6-7 weeks out from configuration.

Meanwhile, Tesla gave out somewhere upwards of 1000 (maybe 2000) invites to San Diego, none of them have VINs yet, and it's still unclear how they intend either to ship or to deliver 1000 cars out of their single cramped service center in the city.

When I test drove the Model S at La Jolla UTC last week, the gallery rep. stated that Tesla is setting up a delivery center in Kearny Mesa that should be complete in time for Model 3 deliveries in March.

• Informative
Reactions: erthquake
When I test drove the Model S at La Jolla UTC last week, the gallery rep. stated that Tesla is setting up a delivery center in Kearny Mesa that should be complete in time for Model 3 deliveries in March.

The one at 5600 Kearny Mesa Road, presumably. I'll check out the place again. I looked at it a week or two ago and it was still an empty building, nowhere near complete.

If the goal is to deliver as many cars to as many customers by 3/31, then I don't see why delivering to NC as opposed to San Diego is a benefit. Is there nobody closer than NC that wants whatever configured car is available? Of course there is, so delivering farther away doesn't help increase deliveries.

If the goal is to deliver as many cars to as many customers by 3/31, then I don't see why delivering to NC as opposed to San Diego is a benefit. Is there nobody closer than NC that wants whatever configured car is available? Of course there is, so delivering farther away doesn't help increase deliveries.

I suspect they spreading deliveries to as many different delivery centers as possible so that no one center is a bottleneck. If they tried to cram all their Feb/March production into CA centers, those centers would likely be overwhelmed. The delivery experience for employees and owners has been relatively brief compared to what while happen to first time Tesla owners. Employees/owners are already familiar with Tesla.