Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California VINs: are you still waiting?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still nothing here, But I did just drive by Vegas delivery center and I kid you not, they could not fit another car in that lot PLUS 2 semis out front unable to unload cars. It was a mad house. I guess I understand why I have no VIN after 40 days because they couldn't bring the car here anyways, no where to put it. Wish they would just let me drive to Fremont or costa mesa or something. I'll come get it if you don't have room!

Reactions: Hans L
Just got my VIN! 1184X

Congrats and I hate you. I have exact same config in SD! Fingers crossed...
Oh wait...I didn't opt for EAP. Maybe I'm too cheap to get priority.

Congrats, @oripaamoni! I ordered the same configuration as you on the 28th (including EAP), but I'm still waiting for my VIN. I'm guessing you ordered earlier in the day. I didn't order until 9PM. Hopefully, @supernoman and I will get our VINs soon.

Congrats, @oripaamoni! I ordered the same configuration as you on the 28th (including EAP), but I'm still waiting for my VIN. I'm guessing you ordered earlier in the day. I didn't order until 9PM. Hopefully, @supernoman and I will get our VINs soon.
Ya I ordered right at noon, but you have to be next!!! I would bet you get it later today, Mine showed up sometime between 10am and 2:00pm

Reactions: David L
first post!

*Line Waiter and had my friend who worked at Westfield Century city put my reservation in around 3:30pm
*Finally was able to configure 3/22 (last thursday as part of the huge batch of invites.. wasn't able to configure even when logging in myself to check the "start designing link")
*VIN assigned immediately after config = VIN#9992 ... as an aside, not sure why people are hiding VINs as it isn't secret information such as your personal cell phone number.. someone knowing your VIN would be the equivalent/close to walking up to a Model 3 and snapping a photo of the VIN. Merely stating this as it cracks me up when I see people mask their VIN... it doesn't make sense, but i guess people feel better?
*ISA told me that was the fastest he's ever heard of someone receiving their VIN
*White
*EAP
*19s (i wanted the 20s and the decrease in range for pure aesthetics, but was told that was only an after delivery option. Hope they don't end up adding it as an upgrade and keep the 20s for the P version. Wheel gap will most likely bother me.. Aeros best range, but still hideous to me. I'm most likely in the minority on this one from what I've read on the forums.)

pray to god that VIN 9992 isn't some defective one that was fixed up after someone refused delivery and auto assigned to me.. with my luck, I wouldn't be surprised if that is the case.

I'll bring 2-3 checklists I've found on these forums/others to my pick up this Saturday at Marina Del Rey location.

looking forward to sat!! :)

Reactions: 03DSG and David L
Other people argue it the other way and say a VIN is the equivalent of posting your address on the internet. If someone has access to the right database, they'd definitely be able to track you down. I sit somewhere in the middle of this spectrum of caring about VIN secrecy or not.

first post!

*Line Waiter and had my friend who worked at Westfield Century city put my reservation in around 3:30pm
*Finally was able to configure 3/22 (last thursday as part of the huge batch of invites.. wasn't able to configure even when logging in myself to check the "start designing link")
*VIN assigned immediately after config = VIN#9992 ... as an aside, not sure why people are hiding VINs as it isn't secret information such as your personal cell phone number.. someone knowing your VIN would be the equivalent/close to walking up to a Model 3 and snapping a photo of the VIN. Merely stating this as it cracks me up when I see people mask their VIN... it doesn't make sense, but i guess people feel better?
*ISA told me that was the fastest he's ever heard of someone receiving their VIN
*White
*EAP
*19s (i wanted the 20s and the decrease in range for pure aesthetics, but was told that was only an after delivery option. Hope they don't end up adding it as an upgrade and keep the 20s for the P version. Wheel gap will most likely bother me.. Aeros best range, but still hideous to me. I'm most likely in the minority on this one from what I've read on the forums.)

pray to god that VIN 9992 isn't some defective one that was fixed up after someone refused delivery and auto assigned to me.. with my luck, I wouldn't be surprised if that is the case.

I'll bring 2-3 checklists I've found on these forums/others to my pick up this Saturday at Marina Del Rey location.

• Helpful
Reactions: PLUGZIN
first post!

*White
*EAP

Agreed, if I ever get a VIN, Im gonna post it. Come find me! never understood the hiding of VINS. and give me all the panel gaps you want, just make sure the car is fast.

first post!

I also got an "insta-VIN" (9371, black/sport) when I configured last week, on the confirmation screen. Supposedly the car is waiting in Fremont, just need to complete financing and get a pickup slot in the crazy quarter-end rush...

Reactions: Troy916
@Nurkbonis - your comment is probably true. I guess my thought process is.. if someone saw me on the street and knew I had a Model 3 or knew where I lived, so what? You can drive to Beverly Hills/ upscale area and see a person in the driveway with a Porsche.. and then what? Are they going to steal my info, rob me, target me in some way? I'm not nearly important enough and I doubt someone on the forum is going to say "Hey I know your VIN and now I'm going to get you!" If I'm not doing anything out of the ordinary on the internet besides posting on a forum so I probably wouldn't care who on this forum knew my address. I'm small fish in a big pond.. thanks for the counterpoint as you were merely sharing the other viewpoint of others wanting privacy, which may not be your own.

@LV Acrobat - great work on the "VIN colors" thread you've been updating. I found that to be one of the most interesting threads I've read in some time. I really enjoy that data and just seeing it was neat. Wish my VIN was # 10,000. That would have been pretty awesome!

@John Beans - nice that you also got insta-VIN'd. *crossing the fingers* that maybe we were just lucky with the VIN and that our cars have no issues.

Reactions: LV Acrobat
I run an ecommerce biz and recently sent a standard cease and desist notification to someone who was selling counterfeit versions of one of my products. A day later, I got a Facebook message from the seller threatening me, stating that he had my address, and was going to be in the city I live in the next weekend. So ya, I prefer to not post anything personal online that could lead someone to my house.

@Nurkbonis - your comment is probably true. I guess my thought process is.. if someone saw me on the street and knew I had a Model 3 or knew where I lived, so what? You can drive to Beverly Hills/ upscale area and see a person in the driveway with a Porsche.. and then what? Are they going to steal my info, rob me, target me in some way? I'm not nearly important enough and I doubt someone on the forum is going to say "Hey I know your VIN and now I'm going to get you!" If I'm not doing anything out of the ordinary on the internet besides posting on a forum so I probably wouldn't care who on this forum knew my address. I'm small fish in a big pond.. thanks for the counterpoint as you were merely sharing the other viewpoint of others wanting privacy, which may not be your own.

@LV Acrobat - great work on the "VIN colors" thread you've been updating. I found that to be one of the most interesting threads I've read in some time. I really enjoy that data and just seeing it was neat. Wish my VIN was # 10,000. That would have been pretty awesome!

@John Beans - nice that you also got insta-VIN'd. *crossing the fingers* that maybe we were just lucky with the VIN and that our cars have no issues.

interesting, low vin for white aero being assigned. wonder if somebody couldn't pick up in 7 days and had to pass the car to somebody else. same config for me was assigned yesterday 1184X

I may be able to put this worry to bed right now. I received what I thought was a very low VIN of 76XX for a white aero car....I took delivery of that car today at noon in SD. The date of manufacture on the door jamb was 3/18. As speculated by some, they seem to be assigniing VINs in blocks by configuration. My VIN was low...the car is freshly built.
Moral to this story.....don't worry too much about the VIN, just enjoy the car....its frickin AMAZING !!!!!!

Great News! ISA called this afternoon (3/27) and advised that my car is on it's way to San Diego. Should arrive at the new San Diego delivery center by this weekend. Delivery is scheduled for Monday 4/2. If any other owners picking up their vehicle in San Diego this weekend happen to see a Red M3 w/18" Aero wheels (VIN 116xx) feel free to take a picture and post. I hope everyone else who configured 2/22 also gets their vehicle soon. I have updated the spreadsheet accordingly.

Reactions: Hans L
I may be able to put this worry to bed right now. I received what I thought was a very low VIN of 76XX for a white aero car....I took delivery of that car today at noon in SD. The date of manufacture on the door jamb was 3/18. As speculated by some, they seem to be assigniing VINs in blocks by configuration. My VIN was low...the car is freshly built.
Moral to this story.....don't worry too much about the VIN, just enjoy the car....its frickin AMAZING !!!!!!

Same-ish sentiments here. My white/aero has a similar VIN 92xx. It looks like no VINs higher than this for white/aero have been assigned to San Diego. I take delivery tomorrow!

Reactions: RSavage
Great News! ISA called this afternoon (3/27) and advised that my car is on it's way to San Diego. Should arrive at the new San Diego delivery center by this weekend. Delivery is scheduled for Monday 4/2. If any other owners picking up their vehicle in San Diego this weekend happen to see a Red M3 w/18" Aero wheels (VIN 116xx) feel free to take a picture and post. I hope everyone else who configured 2/22 also gets their vehicle soon. I have updated the spreadsheet accordingly.
Is that the earliest date available for pick up or was that just the first day that worked for you?

Is that the earliest date available for pick up or was that just the first day that worked for you?

It probably would of been available for pickup on Saturday 3/31; however, I'm away until 4/1. Therefore, she is shooting for 4/2. I expect to get firm date/time in next day or so as I already had secured financing from a local Credit Union. I wouldn't be surprised if your vehicle and mine are on the same transport. Looks like other than color; our configurations are identical. I hope you get delivery this weekend; keep an eye out for mine.